OT follow on formula versus cows milk for an underweight toddler

Old April 14th 06, 01:49 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default OT follow on formula versus cows milk for an underweight toddler

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
Nathanael is very underweight, both for his height and head size and for

his
age. He weighs about 23pounds and is 34 months, over the last few months

he
has lost weight as he was at one stage 25 pounds.

Have you seen a doc/dietician? What do they recommend? You might also want
to look at the "build-up" drinks, which are chocolate, banana or strawberry
milk flavours. We used to buy them by the crate for my (invalid) father, and
I seem to recall my underweight nephew chugging a few to try and bring his
weight up. We could get them from the hospital for free or buy them from
tesco (usually in the pharmacy section rather than the milk drink section),
ready to drink or in powder form that you add to cow's milk..
http://www.nestle.co.uk/Nutrition/He...Build-upRange/

If you are boycotting nestle, I'm sure there are a couple other brands on
the market.

Old April 14th 06, 07:37 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Have you seen a doc/dietician? What do they recommend? You might also want
to look at the "build-up" drinks, which are chocolate, banana or
strawberry
milk flavours. We used to buy them by the crate for my (invalid) father,
and
I seem to recall my underweight nephew chugging a few to try and bring his
weight up. We could get them from the hospital for free or buy them from
tesco (usually in the pharmacy section rather than the milk drink
section),
ready to drink or in powder form that you add to cow's milk..
http://www.nestle.co.uk/Nutrition/He...Build-upRange/

We've seen the doctor and flagged the problem, his suggestion is to
generally just encourage eating well, but not to prevent him from having
chocolate and to try and add in a cereal bar each day, so all very general
rather than specific advice. The plan is to review it in 3 months.

He is so small he had to be weighed on the baby scales, not the regular
scales, it looks really silly to seem him squatting on them!

Anne