help - feeding problem

Old November 7th 06, 07:37 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

Default UPDATE: help - feeding problem

My understanding is that you can continue to breastfeed as you normally
would. I also understand that both mom and baby should be treated at
the same time to avoid passing the yeast back and forth between them.

I've also heard that, and it's usually stated that you should do this even
if the baby has no sign of thrush. However, I've sucessfully treated thrush
for me when each of my children were small, without treating them, and I've
also had a friend who's baby had mouth thrush and she didn't get breast
thrush, so I'm not convinced of the evidence for this, but on the other
hand, it might prevent great suffering in the women/baby pairs who do this
treatment to start it sooner rather than later. I went in to the doctor
saying the baby needed treatment too, but for whatever reason, he wouldn't
prescribe unless the baby had an active problem, so I went away, expecting
to have to back to fight again, but never had to.

Anne

Old November 7th 06, 11:30 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
aldee

I had thought the same thing - that feeding from one breast and pumping the
other seemed a bit weird. My instincts told me to feed from both, so I did.
I'm glad you all have reassured me that I'm right!

We were given nothing topical (for her mouth or my skin), just the tablets.
DH went out last night and bought some OTC cream for her nappy, since at
10pm last night she developed a terrible rash, obviously yeast not nappy
rash. It helped straight away, this morning her nappy area is much better.
She's also feeding a little better already (after three doses of tablets),
and she is contentedly napping now - the first proper nap she has had since
Sunday (as opposed to screaming and finally falling asleep through
exhaustion only to wake within a few minutes in tears).

Thanks for the advice and reassurance - oops, spoke too soon, she's awake
LOL!

Donna

Old November 7th 06, 07:33 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Erin

My understanding is that you can continue to breastfeed as you normally
would. I also understand that both mom and baby should be treated at
the same time to avoid passing the yeast back and forth between them.

This might be why they want you to only feed from one side. In my case,
when I treated my asymptomatic baby repeatedly with oral meds, she
developed some mouth sores. My pedi told me to stop. I would try the
pump and dump if you are not treating baby.

Erin

Old November 8th 06, 02:36 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

My understanding is that you can continue to breastfeed as you normally
would. I also understand that both mom and baby should be treated at
the same time to avoid passing the yeast back and forth between them.

This might be why they want you to only feed from one side. In my case,
when I treated my asymptomatic baby repeatedly with oral meds, she
developed some mouth sores. My pedi told me to stop. I would try the
pump and dump if you are not treating baby.

but that would only work if you were thrush free on the other side, which is
highly unlikely, so pumping and dumping one side whilst feeding the baby on
the other is going to achieve nothing, other than likely causing you to need
to supplement, risking mastitis in the other breast if pumping doesn't go
well and so on.

Cheers

Anne