introducing bottles?

Old June 6th 06, 11:30 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default introducing bottles?

"KD" wrote in message
Greetings folks:

I'm mom to an eight week old boy who is exclusively breastfed. One of the
women in my parent/tot group told me this morning that she had read that
babies should be introduced to bottlefeeding by this time, to get them
used to it. Otherwise if you want to use bottles and expressed milk later
on, they might not take to it at all. She feeds her baby expressed
breastmilk a couple of times a week.

Fact or fiction? I'll be going back to work in February, will probably be
done breastfeeding by then, but it would be good to have the option to use
bottles. Is my baby doomed to never take a bottle if I don't offer one
now?

Thanks!

KD & G

I do want to have the option for someone else to care for the baby if my
husband and I ever manage to tear ourselves away from our son and spend some
time alone again. So bottles won't be the norm, but it would be good to know
if he'd take it.

So, I had pumped some milk to relieve some engorgement in the morning. I
hadn't tried pumping for awhile, and surprisingly I got over five ounces
from just the one side, using a manual pump for about ten minutes. Last time
I got maybe two, and it took a lot longer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but
isn't that a lot?

Anyhoo, instead of popping it into the freezer, we warmed up half of it for
my husband to give it to him that evening. At first he just sucked on the
nipple and got a taste, and looked confused. It was as though he was saying,
hey, this isn't the usual container! And where's my MOM? But he went back at
it, and soon polished off all three ounces. I topped him off myself, just to
ensure that there was no confusion between breast and bottle. No problem at
all. So I think we'll start offering a bottle once in a while, just to have
the option open.

Thanks for your responses everyone. My boy is now nine weeks old, and weighs
in at 16.5 pounds!

KD & G

Old June 6th 06, 11:59 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Hi --

Many babies need to keep having the occasional bottle, otherwise they'll
start to reject it. (I've heard this from moms who had to go back to
work and their babies went completely on STRIKE while at daycare!) I
think if you offer a small bottle every 2-3 days you should be okay.

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old June 7th 06, 04:07 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Beth Kevles wrote:

Hi --

Many babies need to keep having the occasional bottle, otherwise they'll
start to reject it. (I've heard this from moms who had to go back to
work and their babies went completely on STRIKE while at daycare!) I
think if you offer a small bottle every 2-3 days you should be okay.

Yeah, my son got quite a lot of bottles early on, but let it slide for a
while. Then we discovered over the holiday weekend, he has no idea what
to do with them anymore! [sigh]

Is there any chance he can be retrained? I've got some time consuming
dental work coming up, and I'd at least like my SIL to be able to
comfort him then...
--
Cheri Stryker

mom to DS1 - 7 yrs, and DS2 - 3.5 months

Check out my new breastfeeding T-shirts on CafePress!
http://www.cafepress.com/dancingbones
Old June 7th 06, 04:39 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Cheri Stryker" wrote in message
Is there any chance he can be retrained? I've got some time consuming
dental work coming up, and I'd at least like my SIL to be able to comfort
him then...

Try this:

Hold the bottle in an underhand grip and with your middle finger push their
jaw shut, ie. your hand in under the bottle, with only the index finger (and
maybe middle finger, depends on what's comfortable) and thumb holding it up.
Use either the middle or ring finger to prop the mouth closed so the baby
doesn't keep spitting out the teat. Baby will generally keep feeding from
the bottle when their mouth is propped closed even if they used to spit out
the teat in the past. Try gentle rocking and soothing words/sounds as well.
This is the method we used with Matt and it worked a treat. Can take more
than one go and a bit of patience.

Also, have hubby or SIL do this and not you. You are the mummy milk factory
with the soft warm conforting breasts and smell of milk. A third party
should (probably) have slightly more success in getting your son to accept a
bottle when you are not present.