% of children who are still breastfeeding 20-23 months

Old December 3rd 05, 09:39 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default % of children who are still breastfeeding 20-23 months

% of children who are still breastfeeding 20-23 months
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/..._bre_20_23_mon

Rank Country Amount (top to bottom)
#1 Nepal 92
#2 Burkina Faso 87
#3 Bangladesh 87
#4 Burundi 85
#5 Ethiopia 77
#6 Malawi 77
#7 Guinea 73
#8 Oman 73
#9 Rwanda 71
#10 Guinea-Bissau 67
#11 Burma 67
#12 India 66
#13 Papua New Guinea 66
#14 Indonesia 65
#15 Togo 65
#16 Benin 62
#17 Sri Lanka 62
#18 Eritrea 62
#19 Mali 62
#20 Niger 61
#21 Cambodia 59
#22 Lesotho 58
#23 Zambia 58
#24 Mozambique 58
#25 Mongolia 57
#26 Mauritania 57
#27 Ghana 57
#28 Pakistan 56
#29 Gambia, The 54
#30 Sierra Leone 53
#31 Central African Republic 53
#32 Congo, Democratic Republic of the 52
#33 Chad 51
#34 Uganda 50
#35 Peru 49
#36 Senegal 49
#37 Laos 47
#38 Liberia 45
#39 Guatemala 45
#40 Comoros 45
#41 Madagascar 43
#42 Sao Tome and Principe 42
#43 Cote d'Ivoire 42
#44 Yemen 41
#45 Bahrain 41
#46 El Salvador 40
#47 Sudan 40
#48 Nicaragua 39
#49 Angola 37
#50 Bolivia 36
#51 Uzbekistan 36
#52 Zimbabwe 35
#53 Nigeria 35
#54 Tajikistan 35
#55 Honduras 34
#56 Ecuador 34
#57 Venezuela 31
#58 Guyana 31
#59 Haiti 30
#60 Saudi Arabia 30
#61 Egypt 30
#62 South Africa 30
#63 Cameroon 29
#64 United Arab Emirates 29
#65 Iraq 27
#66 Thailand 27
#67 Turkmenistan 27
#68 Swaziland 25
#69 Colombia 25
#70 Kenya 24
#71 Libya 23
#72 Belize 23
#73 Philippines 23
#74 Tunisia 22
#75 Algeria 22
#76 Panama 21
#77 Qatar 21
#78 Turkey 21
#79 Kyrgyzstan 21
#80 Morocco 21
#81 Mexico 21
#82 Vietnam 20
#83 Kazakhstan 17
#84 Brazil 17
#85 Azerbaijan 16
#86 Paraguay 15
#87 Armenia 13
#88 Cape Verde 13
#89 Jordan 12
#90 Costa Rica 12
#91 Malaysia 12
#92 Georgia 12
#93 Suriname 11
#94 Botswana 11
#95 Serbia and Montenegro 11
#96 Lebanon 11
#97 Trinidad and Tobago 10
#98 Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of 10
#100 Gabon 9
#101 Cuba 9
#102 Kuwait 9
#103 Somalia 8
#104 Dominican Republic 6
#105 Albania 6
#106 Syria 6
Weighted average: 38.1

Old December 3rd 05, 11:56 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

spamtrap writes:

% of children who are still breastfeeding 20-23 months
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/..._bre_20_23_mon

[...]
Weighted average: 38.1

Interesting, but what determined which countries were listed? I couldn't
easily find that on the web page, even. It didn't include most of our
countries, which I guess would have rates well under 6%. Without that
information, the weighted average is not meaningful.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Old December 3rd 05, 05:51 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

You've left out the information on the population in question here.

Is it third world countries? Countries with the highest infant mortality?

These data are irrelevant to those of us that live in a first world
nation - especially that spurious weighted average.

Jacqueline

#1 Nepal 92
#2 Burkina Faso 87
#3 Bangladesh 87
#4 Burundi 85
#5 Ethiopia 77
#6 Malawi 77
#7 Guinea 73
#8 Oman 73
#9 Rwanda 71
#10 Guinea-Bissau 67
#11 Burma 67
#12 India 66
#13 Papua New Guinea 66
#14 Indonesia 65
#15 Togo 65
#16 Benin 62
#17 Sri Lanka 62
#18 Eritrea 62
#19 Mali 62
#20 Niger 61
#21 Cambodia 59
#22 Lesotho 58
#23 Zambia 58
#24 Mozambique 58
#25 Mongolia 57
#26 Mauritania 57
#27 Ghana 57
#28 Pakistan 56
#29 Gambia, The 54
#30 Sierra Leone 53
#31 Central African Republic 53
#32 Congo, Democratic Republic of the 52
#33 Chad 51
#34 Uganda 50
#35 Peru 49
#36 Senegal 49
#37 Laos 47
#38 Liberia 45
#39 Guatemala 45
#40 Comoros 45
#41 Madagascar 43
#42 Sao Tome and Principe 42
#43 Cote d'Ivoire 42
#44 Yemen 41
#45 Bahrain 41
#46 El Salvador 40
#47 Sudan 40
#48 Nicaragua 39
#49 Angola 37
#50 Bolivia 36
#51 Uzbekistan 36
#52 Zimbabwe 35
#53 Nigeria 35
#54 Tajikistan 35
#55 Honduras 34
#56 Ecuador 34
#57 Venezuela 31
#58 Guyana 31
#59 Haiti 30
#60 Saudi Arabia 30
#61 Egypt 30
#62 South Africa 30
#63 Cameroon 29
#64 United Arab Emirates 29
#65 Iraq 27
#66 Thailand 27
#67 Turkmenistan 27
#68 Swaziland 25
#69 Colombia 25
#70 Kenya 24
#71 Libya 23
#72 Belize 23
#73 Philippines 23
#74 Tunisia 22
#75 Algeria 22
#76 Panama 21
#77 Qatar 21
#78 Turkey 21
#79 Kyrgyzstan 21
#80 Morocco 21
#81 Mexico 21
#82 Vietnam 20
#83 Kazakhstan 17
#84 Brazil 17
#85 Azerbaijan 16
#86 Paraguay 15
#87 Armenia 13
#88 Cape Verde 13
#89 Jordan 12
#90 Costa Rica 12
#91 Malaysia 12
#92 Georgia 12
#93 Suriname 11
#94 Botswana 11
#95 Serbia and Montenegro 11
#96 Lebanon 11
#97 Trinidad and Tobago 10
#98 Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of 10
#100 Gabon 9
#101 Cuba 9
#102 Kuwait 9
#103 Somalia 8
#104 Dominican Republic 6
#105 Albania 6
#106 Syria 6
Weighted average: 38.1

Old December 3rd 05, 05:55 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I think the population as best as I can determine is non industrialised
nations.

Jacqueline

wrote:

% of children who are still breastfeeding 20-23 months
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/..._bre_20_23_mon

Rank Country Amount (top to bottom) #1 Nepal
92
#2 Burkina Faso 87
#3 Bangladesh 87
#4 Burundi 85
#5 Ethiopia 77
#6 Malawi 77
#7 Guinea 73
#8 Oman 73
#9 Rwanda 71
#10 Guinea-Bissau 67
#11 Burma 67
#12 India 66
#13 Papua New Guinea 66
#14 Indonesia 65
#15 Togo 65
#16 Benin 62
#17 Sri Lanka 62
#18 Eritrea 62
#19 Mali 62
#20 Niger 61
#21 Cambodia 59
#22 Lesotho 58
#23 Zambia 58
#24 Mozambique 58
#25 Mongolia 57
#26 Mauritania 57
#27 Ghana 57
#28 Pakistan 56
#29 Gambia, The 54
#30 Sierra Leone 53
#31 Central African Republic 53
#32 Congo, Democratic Republic of the 52
#33 Chad 51
#34 Uganda 50
#35 Peru 49
#36 Senegal 49
#37 Laos 47
#38 Liberia 45
#39 Guatemala 45
#40 Comoros 45
#41 Madagascar 43
#42 Sao Tome and Principe 42
#43 Cote d'Ivoire 42
#44 Yemen 41
#45 Bahrain 41
#46 El Salvador 40
#47 Sudan 40
#48 Nicaragua 39
#49 Angola 37
#50 Bolivia 36
#51 Uzbekistan 36
#52 Zimbabwe 35
#53 Nigeria 35
#54 Tajikistan 35
#55 Honduras 34
#56 Ecuador 34
#57 Venezuela 31
#58 Guyana 31
#59 Haiti 30
#60 Saudi Arabia 30
#61 Egypt 30
#62 South Africa 30
#63 Cameroon 29
#64 United Arab Emirates 29
#65 Iraq 27
#66 Thailand 27
#67 Turkmenistan 27
#68 Swaziland 25
#69 Colombia 25
#70 Kenya 24
#71 Libya 23
#72 Belize 23
#73 Philippines 23
#74 Tunisia 22
#75 Algeria 22
#76 Panama 21
#77 Qatar 21
#78 Turkey 21
#79 Kyrgyzstan 21
#80 Morocco 21
#81 Mexico 21
#82 Vietnam 20
#83 Kazakhstan 17
#84 Brazil 17
#85 Azerbaijan 16
#86 Paraguay 15
#87 Armenia 13
#88 Cape Verde 13
#89 Jordan 12
#90 Costa Rica 12
#91 Malaysia 12
#92 Georgia 12
#93 Suriname 11
#94 Botswana 11
#95 Serbia and Montenegro 11
#96 Lebanon 11
#97 Trinidad and Tobago 10
#98 Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of 10
#100 Gabon 9
#101 Cuba 9
#102 Kuwait 9
#103 Somalia 8
#104 Dominican Republic 6
#105 Albania 6
#106 Syria 6
Weighted average: 38.1

Old December 3rd 05, 06:23 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Cuddlefish wrote:
You've left out the information on the population in question here.

Is it third world countries? Countries with the highest infant mortality?

These data are irrelevant to those of us that live in a first world
nation - especially that spurious weighted average.

Jacqueline

Well, apparently the data is from Unicef - maybe that is simply where
they have data?

I don't have a problem with an average - as long as you understand that
it is an average of the countries listed. Which is still interesting,
if not a Global Average. I'm not sure why you think it is irrelevant
to learn about things in countries besides your own?

Irene

Old December 3rd 05, 06:41 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Irene wrote:
Cuddlefish wrote:

You've left out the information on the population in question here.

Is it third world countries? Countries with the highest infant mortality?

These data are irrelevant to those of us that live in a first world
nation - especially that spurious weighted average.

Jacqueline

Well, apparently the data is from Unicef - maybe that is simply where
they have data?

I don't have a problem with an average - as long as you understand that
it is an average of the countries listed. Which is still interesting,
if not a Global Average. I'm not sure why you think it is irrelevant
to learn about things in countries besides your own?

Irene

Huh? Well you jumped to a silly conclusion.

I was approaching it from the perspective that these data claimed to
produce a number [weighted average] that had no identifying info as to
what it meant. Given the numerical illiteracy of much of the world,
people would look at that number and draw conclusions that are false.

I *know* where the data came from [UNICEF] but I could not see *what*
the data represented. If people tried to extrapolate those figures to
other countries not listed, they would come up with something meaningless.

I'm glad that you can draw somethng out of a number derived from a bunch
of other numbers and use it to understand something about the world. I
on the other hand need to know what the number represents before I can
truly understand its significance.

Jacqueline

Old December 3rd 05, 09:05 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

It is still interesting data unless you are too selfish to care about anything
but your own or similar countries.

#1 Nepal 92
#2 Burkina Faso 87
#3 Bangladesh 87
#4 Burundi 85
#5 Ethiopia 77
#6 Malawi 77
#7 Guinea 73
#8 Oman 73
#9 Rwanda 71
#10 Guinea-Bissau 67
#11 Burma 67
#12 India 66
#13 Papua New Guinea 66
#14 Indonesia 65
#15 Togo 65
#16 Benin 62
#17 Sri Lanka 62
#18 Eritrea 62
#19 Mali 62
#20 Niger 61
#21 Cambodia 59
#22 Lesotho 58
#23 Zambia 58
#24 Mozambique 58
#25 Mongolia 57
#26 Mauritania 57
#27 Ghana 57
#28 Pakistan 56
#29 Gambia, The 54
#30 Sierra Leone 53
#31 Central African Republic 53
#32 Congo, Democratic Republic of the 52
#33 Chad 51
#34 Uganda 50
#35 Peru 49
#36 Senegal 49
#37 Laos 47
#38 Liberia 45
#39 Guatemala 45
#40 Comoros 45
#41 Madagascar 43
#42 Sao Tome and Principe 42
#43 Cote d'Ivoire 42
#44 Yemen 41
#45 Bahrain 41
#46 El Salvador 40
#47 Sudan 40
#48 Nicaragua 39
#49 Angola 37
#50 Bolivia 36
#51 Uzbekistan 36
#52 Zimbabwe 35
#53 Nigeria 35
#54 Tajikistan 35
#55 Honduras 34
#56 Ecuador 34
#57 Venezuela 31
#58 Guyana 31
#59 Haiti 30
#60 Saudi Arabia 30
#61 Egypt 30
#62 South Africa 30
#63 Cameroon 29
#64 United Arab Emirates 29
#65 Iraq 27
#66 Thailand 27
#67 Turkmenistan 27
#68 Swaziland 25
#69 Colombia 25
#70 Kenya 24
#71 Libya 23
#72 Belize 23
#73 Philippines 23
#74 Tunisia 22
#75 Algeria 22
#76 Panama 21
#77 Qatar 21
#78 Turkey 21
#79 Kyrgyzstan 21
#80 Morocco 21
#81 Mexico 21
#82 Vietnam 20
#83 Kazakhstan 17
#84 Brazil 17
#85 Azerbaijan 16
#86 Paraguay 15
#87 Armenia 13
#88 Cape Verde 13
#89 Jordan 12
#90 Costa Rica 12
#91 Malaysia 12
#92 Georgia 12
#93 Suriname 11
#94 Botswana 11
#95 Serbia and Montenegro 11
#96 Lebanon 11
#97 Trinidad and Tobago 10
#98 Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of 10
#100 Gabon 9
#101 Cuba 9
#102 Kuwait 9
#103 Somalia 8
#104 Dominican Republic 6
#105 Albania 6
#106 Syria 6
Weighted average: 38.1

Old December 3rd 05, 11:35 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

wrote in message
% of children who are still breastfeeding 20-23 months

SNIP
#106 Syria 6
Weighted average: 38.1

so 'western' nations are amost well below 6%? interesting

Old December 3rd 05, 11:48 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

#106 Syria 6 Weighted average: 38.1

so 'western' nations are amost well below 6%? interesting

Well, it would be (and I don't mind betting it's so, actually) but that's
one of the things we can't tell from what was posted or anything quickly
seen on the website! We don't know whether this is the *top* 106 bf rates,
or just the stats for some countries where they happen to have been
collected, or stats for the countries that meet some other criterion, like
being "undeveloped" by some definition, or what. That's why that weighted
average is meaningless without more info, regardless of how interested one
is in other countries.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003