Are your kids under the Attack of the Mindnumbed Educators?

Old February 28th 06, 04:55 AM posted to alt.child-support,alt.support.divorce

Default Are your kids under the Attack of the Mindnumbed Educators?

http://66.225.215.31/~mensnews/wp/20...bed-educators/

Attack of the Mindnumbed Educators
February 27, 2006
Thomas D. Segel
Have those who are charged with the education of our children all been
infected with some mind-numbing virus? To read reports coming in from
schools around the country that would appear to be the case.

According to a February 24, 2006 report filed by KWWL-TV in Waterloo, Iowa,
"Two students have been suspended from East High School for writing a
leaflet that claims Black History Month and the establishment of the NAACP
are racist."

On February 20 there was an Associated Press report that a 12-year-old girl
is fighting charges filed by school officials that she committed battery on
another student when he was hit in the face by a ball she kicked during a
game of Dodge Ball. Five other students who were charged with the same
offense accepted probation.

A Boston Globe story in its February 9 edition reports school officials
charged a first grade student with sexual harassment and placed him on
suspension after he inadvertently placed two fingers inside the waistband of
a female student's pants during playground activities.
In recent years such unexplainable actions by teachers and elected school
officials have grown from an occasional act frustrating parents to almost
constant topics of commentary and media reports. There have even been some
serious reports that decades of political correctness, feminism and
overprotection of children have created educators so mind numbed they are
acting contrary to the well-being of our children.

Third grade students at Allis Elementary School in Madison, Wisconsin were
directed by their teacher to write and mail letters to the government
insisting that they halt the war in Iraq.

In Everett, Washington the school district cancelled the high school
production of the play "When You Comin' Back, Red Ryder?" The play, which is
set in a diner, features a chubby waitress, a busty drifter, a disabled gas
station owner and a delusional veteran. The school board said the characters
were degrading and demeaning and sent a message not everyone would
understand.

In St. Petersburg, Florida they are ending the tradition of "Show and Tell"
because teachers want to avoid creating self-esteem problems for children
who don't bring interesting items.

In Portland, Oregon they are not reading the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
because it is insensitive and Black students are uncomfortable reading the
Mark Twain classic.

In East Providence, Rhode Island the school district policy expressly
forbids teasing, emotional abuse and harmful gossip. Decorations specific to
any winter holiday are banned from public schools in Yonkers, New York and
in Boulder, Colorado school officials denied the formation of a Bible club
as not related to curriculum, while at the same time allowing a Gay/Straight
Alliance club as being part of the health education curriculum.

Across the country those charged with the mental and physical development of
our children are banning such traditional games as Tag, Hide & Seek, Dodge
ball, and Red Rover. The justification for these actions to remove dangerous
play for the schoolyard is not to avoid physical injuries, but because the
games could be harmful to some children's self esteem. Some children are the
last to be picked for teams. Other children are not athletically inclined.
Those running our schools don't want these children to suffer hurt feelings.
Thus, all students are restricted from many traditional games and contests.

What is astounding to behold is. the over protection, amateur psychology and
political correctness of many educators, according to Doctor William C.
Douglas of Real Health News, is actually destroying the self-esteem of
children their actions claim to be protecting. "I'm also wondering", he
says, "Do these same teachers blame their own failings in life on the
emotional scars of having been beaned with a red rubber all during third
grade recess?"

The doctor also tells his readers, "Look, nobody said it was fair, but it's
a harsh reality of life that we learn many of the most important lessons the
hard way. And some of them come at the hands of enemies in the schoolyard
and that's also where we learn to function as part of a team, how to fit
into a group or how to develop self-reliance when we don't fit in. No
teacher in the world can teach children these lessons.. but, they can
prevent our kids from learning them until it's too late."

The organization Focus on the Family is very concerned about the growing
trend of overprotection being displayed throughout America's school systems.
They warn that the desire to carefully guard our children is often extended
to schools when compulsive parents demand more "protection" for their
children.

The end result is often very questionable restrictions and regulations. "The
intense desire to help can actually interfere with a child's growth and
development. Certain risks must be tolerated if a child is to progress. He
will never learn to walk if he is not allowed to fall in the process", says
the family group.

There is a growing body of evidence that indicates there has been a drastic
decline in children's unsupervised outside play. Media reports of injury,
death, child abduction and pedophilia fill publications, radio and
television, creating paranoia about children's vulnerability. This anxiety
on the part of some parents and many educators is a prevailing thought, even
though the reality is children have never been safer at any time in our
history.

The world of children has never been well understood by adults. Though
adult-child relationships are essential for development and education, they
can never provide children with the practical or personal experiences they
need for growth and maturity.

So, what can be done? Most importantly we need to reject the "group think"
that says our children are more vulnerable because of today's complex world.
Above all, everyone must understand.and must make sure those who educate our
children are also aware of one very important truth.personal expression of
ideas along with activities, personal accomplishments and achievements are
the tools which allow everyone grow and rise even beyond their childhood
expectations. Parents must also demand that the attacks by Mindnumbed
Educators on these objectives cease.

Old February 28th 06, 06:38 AM posted to alt.child-support,alt.support.divorce

Dusty wrote:

In East Providence, Rhode Island the school district policy expressly
forbids teasing, emotional abuse and harmful gossip. Decorations specific to
any winter holiday are banned from public schools in Yonkers, New York and
in Boulder, Colorado school officials denied the formation of a Bible club
as not related to curriculum, while at the same time allowing a Gay/Straight
Alliance club as being part of the health education curriculum.

I *live* in East Providence RI, or in a suburb close to it.

I'm not sure what's so great about allowing teasing, emotional abuse,
and harmful gossip, though. The Devil is in the details, I suspect.

- Ron ^*^

Old February 28th 06, 07:14 AM posted to alt.child-support,alt.support.divorce

"Werebat" wrote in message
newsdSMf.26$3k1.14@dukeread03...

Dusty wrote:

In East Providence, Rhode Island the school district policy expressly
forbids teasing, emotional abuse and harmful gossip. Decorations specific
to any winter holiday are banned from public schools in Yonkers, New York
and in Boulder, Colorado school officials denied the formation of a Bible
club as not related to curriculum, while at the same time allowing a
Gay/Straight Alliance club as being part of the health education
curriculum.

I *live* in East Providence RI, or in a suburb close to it.

I'm not sure what's so great about allowing teasing, emotional abuse, and
harmful gossip, though. The Devil is in the details, I suspect.

I was looking at that one, too. Why would anyone complain about making
those against the rules? chuckle

Old February 28th 06, 10:36 AM posted to alt.child-support,alt.support.divorce

"Dusty" wrote in message ...
http://66.225.215.31/~mensnews/wp/20...bed-educators/

Attack of the Mindnumbed Educators
February 27, 2006
Thomas D. Segel
Have those who are charged with the education of our children all been infected with some mind-numbing virus? To read
reports coming in from schools around the country that would appear to be the case.

I wonder how long it will take for Mr. Segal to realize that the school activities curtailed, as mentioned in his
article, were, and continue to be, primarily curtailed in response to the lawsuits filed by the parents of the children,
claiming this emotional harm to the children?

Old February 28th 06, 03:16 PM posted to alt.child-support,alt.support.divorce

I teach high school and I can tell you for a fact some of the stupid
rules , policies and procedures we have are tied directly to a parent's
law suit. Some parents think being invovled in their child's education
means sueing if they get a B-.

Old February 28th 06, 09:24 PM posted to alt.child-support,alt.support.divorce

Beowulfen wrote:
I teach high school and I can tell you for a fact some of the stupid
rules , policies and procedures we have are tied directly to a parent's
law suit. Some parents think being invovled in their child's education
means sueing if they get a B-.

Yes indeedee. That's how "far" we have "progressed" today (with an ample
assist, as expected, from our stellar legal "profession").

Viva Le Age De Enlightenment! Makes me proud to be here, in this era of
true enlightenment! And social progress!!

Old March 1st 06, 01:58 PM posted to alt.child-support,alt.support.divorce

Dusty wrote:

In East Providence, Rhode Island the school district policy expressly
forbids teasing, emotional abuse and harmful gossip. Decorations specific
to any winter holiday are banned from public schools in Yonkers, New York
and in Boulder, Colorado school officials denied the formation of a Bible
club as not related to curriculum, while at the same time allowing a
Gay/Straight Alliance club as being part of the health education
curriculum.

I *live* in East Providence RI, or in a suburb close to it.

I'm not sure what's so great about allowing teasing, emotional abuse, and
harmful gossip, though. The Devil is in the details, I suspect.

I was looking at that one, too. Why would anyone complain about making
those against the rules? chuckle

It might be seen as having the potential to generate boatloads of
frivolous lawsuits, although I haven't heard of that happening here.

- Ron ^*^

Old March 1st 06, 02:01 PM posted to alt.child-support,alt.support.divorce

Beowulfen wrote:

I teach high school and I can tell you for a fact some of the stupid
rules , policies and procedures we have are tied directly to a parent's
law suit. Some parents think being invovled in their child's education
means sueing if they get a B-.

I hear you. It's amazing how many inane school rules exist because of
parental lawsuits. I'm not saying they should be barred from suing, but
it is unfortunate how much policy is driven more by school officials
trying to cover their asses than by doing anything actually beneficial
for the kids.

Come to think of it, working in public schools tends to inoculate one's
psyche from the "for the children" mantra/defense of the state in other
areas, such as CS...

- Ron ^*^

Old March 1st 06, 02:03 PM posted to alt.child-support,alt.support.divorce

Bill in Co. wrote:

Beowulfen wrote:

I teach high school and I can tell you for a fact some of the stupid
rules , policies and procedures we have are tied directly to a parent's
law suit. Some parents think being invovled in their child's education
means sueing if they get a B-.

Yes indeedee. That's how "far" we have "progressed" today (with an ample
assist, as expected, from our stellar legal "profession").

Viva Le Age De Enlightenment! Makes me proud to be here, in this era of
true enlightenment! And social progress!!

What we "need" is one big crisis, I mean a real nation-shattering,
devastating event. That will cause the country to wake up a bit and
shake off a lot of these parasites out of necessity.

- Ron ^*^

Old March 1st 06, 02:57 PM posted to alt.child-support,alt.support.divorce

"Werebat" wrote in message

Dusty wrote:

[...]

It is amazing the things that generate lawsuits these days.