Should I Wake Baby?

Old May 30th 06, 11:26 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Should I Wake Baby?

Hi there,

DS (3.5 months, healthy weight gain) has been sleeping technically
through the night (5-6 hours) for a while now. (I'm not sure why I wake
up to feed him - I have no alarm, and he doesn't seem to be awake, but
perhaps he just snuffles enough to wake me up.)

Last night he slept for 8 hours, and while that's a nice occasional
treat for me, I'm inclined to think it's probably a bit long for such
young baby and my breasts to go without a feed on a regular basis. Thoughts?

I'm also wondering if anyone knows off the top of their head any web
references advising on general rules of thumb for how long you should
let babies sleep through the night (at different weights or ages)?

Kelly Mom, Ask Dr Sears, and LLL seem to be fairly generalised rather
than specific, i.e. saying it's normal for some babies to not sleep
through the night, and they may need to wake during the night to feed.

I'd like to know for future reference, because the answer for a
3-month-old will likely be different from the answer for a 1-year-old.

...oo00OO Loopy OO00oo..

PS Sorry for such a long mail, just trying to anticipate all the
questions that will come back at me! LOL
Old May 31st 06, 12:20 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"LoopyNZ" wrote in message
I'd like to know for future reference, because the answer for a
3-month-old will likely be different from the answer for a 1-year-old.

Sproglette was sleeping through the night at two months old. I just added
another pump.

Jess

Old May 31st 06, 05:09 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"LoopyNZ" wrote in message
[...]

From my personal experience...
DS slept 3 hours during the day, 4 hours at night when he was born. I
exclusively bf him with no problems. You could almost set a clock to his
sleeping/feeding schedule. The first night he actually slept all night long
was July 1 - he was born Jan 31, so he was 5 months old.
DD, though, OTOH, was completely opposite. The first day we came home from
the hospital, she slept a good 6-7 hours through the night. I figured I got
lucky that first night since she was up ALL night in the hospital. I
figured she could have been hit hard with life and just real tired. Next
day and next day and every day after, she continued to sleep 6-7 hours at
least at night until she was about 6 weeks old, I think... She then slept
through the night even more - about 7-8 hours at this point. By 3 months,
she was sleeping a good 10 hours at night, and ever since about 5ish months,
she's been sleeping at least 12 hours through the night.
At first, I really thought I was in heaven with her - come on... A baby that
practically sleeps all night long since day 1 isn't something you *always*
hear about. Mind you, with her, I had nothing but problems with nursing. At
around 3 months, I think, she started to lose weight rather than her
regular, great gaining. She started to refuse to nurse around 4ish months,
I think, and from about 3 months on, she'd get one real good feeding before
bed - maybe around 10pm, sleep, and get one good feeding in the morning -
about 8am. The days were hell for me, as she was cranky, which I do think
was from being hungry. She'd suck a few times, pull away, cry, try and suck
more and she really didn't seem to be getting much to eat.
I tried almost everything - I tried to pump with a manual pump, expressing
on my own, heck, we even rented one of those big, fancy electric Medela
(Symphony, I believe it was?) pumps that cost an arm and a leg for a deposit
and rental fees, but I had heard they're top of the line and the best of the
best. No dice. I had suggested to me (might have even been on here?) to
only offer her to nurse. I was unable to pump anything more than half an
ounce or so at a time, which led to me being tired, sore and frustrated, and
didn't help DD one bit, so that knocked off the idea of expressing to bottle
feed. I went with the suggestion of only offering her a breast, but it
didn't seem to work. She'd get frustrated and angry, and I found that
during the day, I was attempting to feed her for 5 minutes at a time - she'd
get downright angry even pushing for that long - and it was like every 15
minutes during the day. That just wasn't possible with other children to
tend to, as well as my own sanity and mind to keep in check.
I do think I ended up with supply issues, maybe even because of her long
stretches of sleeping at night. My mom had always told me to let the baby
sleep - no average, healthy baby will sleep himself or herself to death by
starvation. Babies will wake up when they're hungry. I had no problems
like this with DS. I exclusively nursed and I also pumped - by the time he
was a month old, I had about 40 8-oz bottles stashed away in the freezer. I
had enough milk for an army... Not at all the case with DD...

I'm sure this doesn't happen all the time, but... That's our story, and I
thought I'd throw it out there just in case. MIGHT be something to possibly
look into, but who knows. DD took VERY well to a bottle. No issues at all,
and as soon as she was on a bottle, her weight went right back up and has
been great for gain ever since. But, until then, she had lost a fair amount
of weight - enough for me to have little red flags go up - and enough that I
had basically tried EVERYTHING I could think of or was suggested to me.

Old June 1st 06, 01:27 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"LoopyNZ" wrote in message
[...]

given he has healthy weight gain, IMHO he is doing just what he should be
doing and dont worry at all. The hard part is nobody tells your breasts
when to slow down production and you are leaking and painful (er, your
breasts not you) by morning. i wouldnt do an extra pump, except a small
amount for comfort b/c that will continue to increase suppply.

It really sounds like it is going well, and i say, DONT WAKE A SLEEPING
BABY!

chris

Old June 1st 06, 07:06 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

LoopyNZ wrote:
[...]

My baby started sleeping through the night early and while my breasts
felt full in the morning, it didn't bother my supply. I would not wake
a sleeping baby otherwise and count my blessings. lol. There a lot of
folks out there praying for what you have! lol. Just watch and see what
happens. The good news is that you can always resort to waking to feed
if you notice a problem.

Old June 1st 06, 11:11 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Dear Loopy,

I don't think you should wake your baby. To be honest, I think you
should be thankful for this. My DS wakes up often through the night
until now (13 mos). Maybe my DS is just looking for his momma's boobs
for comfort, don't know..
I still enjoy nursing him at night, though it becomes painful lately
for the sore nipples. He just can't stop his cries if he's not nursing
.

Love,
- aurora -
http://aurora.insparenting.com

Old June 1st 06, 02:26 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"LoopyNZ" wrote and I snipped:
DS (3.5 months, healthy weight gain) has been sleeping technically through
the night (5-6 hours) for a while now.

Last night he slept for 8 hours, and while that's a nice occasional treat
for me, I'm inclined to think it's probably a bit long for such young baby
and my breasts to go without a feed on a regular basis. Thoughts?

I think you should count your blessings if you manage to get 8 hours of
uninterrupted sleep at your son's age. My DD literally slept that long only
once before the age of 21 months when we night-weaned her.

I would only wake a sleeping baby to nurse in the night during the first few
weeks. And some wouldn't do it even then if weight gain was okay.

Enjoy your sleep!
-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old June 2nd 06, 09:43 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

DD2 slept 9 to 10 hours for one week at around 9 weeks of age, but then
started to wake again. She's now 5 month's old and feeds about once every 4
hours around the clock, but I do have her in bed with me for most of the
night (or in a cot in our room) so tend to sleep through most of the feeds
and am not really aware of when she's feeding and feel quite rested and
happy.

Sarah

Old June 3rd 06, 01:38 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Don't wake sleeping baby!!! My son has been sleeping through the night
since three days after he came home from the hospital. I'm talking from
8 pm to 6 am. My son is two months old now. I exclusively bf until two
weeks ago. When I started to go back to work and started pumping. When
my milk came in I was a little engorged only in the morning from my son
sleeping all night. After about a week or so my supply reflected him
not eating at night. Now that I pump, I pump right before I go to bed
on both breast. Then the one he doesn't feed on in the morning. I
wouldn't worry about the baby not feeding during the night. If they
were hungry, they would be waking up.

Old June 13th 06, 09:26 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Thanks everyone. It seems to be a fairly unanimous and resounding "don't
wake a sleeping baby!" answer both here and at my LLL group. I
breastfeed and don't pump, so didn't want to mess my supply up too much,
but I think (provided no other problems arise like you had, xkatx) if he
feeds well the rest of the day I shouldn't have any worries.

Of course, it's two weeks since my initial post and he hasn't slept an
8-hour chunk again, so I may not have to worry about it at all. Next
thing you know I'll be on asking how to get my baby to sleep 8 hours in
a night!

Thanks,
...oo00OO LoopyNZ OO00oo..