formula advertising, or not?

Old June 26th 06, 04:14 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default formula advertising, or not?

Yesterday I saw an advert for the agency that runs several local day care
centres. In big letters it said "nappies, formula milk and healthy meals
included" and basically nothing else, only a telephone number and web
address.

Now, I realise that this is a fact, they do include formula milk, but
equally it seems unnecessary, they provide childcare from 6 weeks to almost
5 years, only babies drink formula milk, when actually milk is included for
all children, I know this as my son went to one of their nurseries briefly.

So to me it seemed as if they were deliberately pushing the formula milk,
when to me a good advert for a nursery is that they will work with the
parents to feed the children your desired choice.

To be honest I was outraged, I can't quite put my finger on why, but it just
seemed wrong, I presume they put it that way because they think it draws in
clients, which to me seems that people are being drawn in for the wrong
reasons, I doubt very much that they are doing anything wrong, but it's
definitely borderline and I think morally wrong, I would certainly now not
put my child in one of their nurseries.

Cheers

Anne

Old June 26th 06, 06:28 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Anne Rogers wrote:

So to me it seemed as if they were deliberately pushing the formula milk,
when to me a good advert for a nursery is that they will work with the
parents to feed the children your desired choice.

It seems to me that the agency is just advertising that they provide
formula for infants that are formula fed. Surely they'd give mother's
breastmilk to those babies whose mothers provide that to them, but they
surely can't provide breastmilk and therefore wouldn't include "nappies,
formula milk, mother's milk and healthy meals included" in their ad. If
I were looking for an agency and was using formula, I'd want to know
from the get-go if I would have to provide my own or if they provided
the formula in the pricing. Make sense?

V the lurker

Old June 26th 06, 09:40 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

It seems to me that the agency is just advertising that they provide
formula for infants that are formula fed. Surely they'd give mother's
breastmilk to those babies whose mothers provide that to them, but they
surely can't provide breastmilk and therefore wouldn't include "nappies,
formula milk, mother's milk and healthy meals included" in their ad. If I
were looking for an agency and was using formula, I'd want to know from
the get-go if I would have to provide my own or if they provided the
formula in the pricing. Make sense?

it would, but I do suspect they only supply one brand, so it's probably
meaningless in the end anyway

I also think it would have been fine amongst an advert that contained other
information, even basic stuff such as the location of the nurseries! But as
just one phrase, to me it communicated an inappropriate ethos and would have
been a total turn off, as it was, when we were using them, they wouldn't use
cloth, we had to use the nappies they provided, thankfully they didn't cause
a rash, but for that baby he was funny and some brands did.

Anne

Old June 26th 06, 10:36 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
Yesterday I saw an advert for the agency that runs several local day care
centres. In big letters it said "nappies, formula milk and healthy meals
included" and basically nothing else, only a telephone number and web
address.

Now, I realise that this is a fact, they do include formula milk, but
equally it seems unnecessary, they provide childcare from 6 weeks to
almost 5 years, only babies drink formula milk, when actually milk is
included for all children, I know this as my son went to one of their
nurseries briefly.

I'm so flabbergasted that your dyacares provide all that stuff that I can't
even get round to thinking about if I like the advertising or not, lol. All
the places I've been here in the US the parents bring all the diapers,
wipes, formula/milk, and food for babies under 12-18 months or so. The only
thing that was provided is the blankets.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old June 26th 06, 11:05 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Nikki wrote
I'm so flabbergasted that your dyacares provide all that stuff that I
can't even get round to thinking about if I like the advertising or not,
lol. All the places I've been here in the US the parents bring all the
diapers, wipes, formula/milk, and food for babies under 12-18 months or
so. The only thing that was provided is the blankets.

we probably pay correspondingly more, but as there is a childcare component
of the child tax credit, it may have come in from that, as if you pay more,
but get more back it may cost less in the end. I've not really used daycare,
so I don't know if this is normal, or just this particular company, which is
a national one.

We use a childminder for 1 afternoon a week, she provides all food and
drink, she wouldn't have provided formula, but Ada wouldn't drink anything
whilst she was there at first, though I provided ebm. She chooses to use
baby food jars as a back up in case Ada is hungry and can't get enough from
the other food available, but that is her choice, she's never asked for us
to provide it. She also uses cloth without batting an eyelid, though she
uses disposables for her own child. We love her and so do the children!

Anne

Old June 26th 06, 11:06 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Nikki wrote
[...]

On the other hand, because your health is insurance based, you get loads
provided at hospitals whereas we get nothing, basically everything seems to
work it's way out so it plays the system best!

Anne

Old June 27th 06, 08:56 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Anne Rogers wrote:
Nikki wrote
I'm so flabbergasted that your dyacares provide all that stuff that I
can't even get round to thinking about if I like the advertising or not,
lol. All the places I've been here in the US the parents bring all the
diapers, wipes, formula/milk, and food for babies under 12-18 months or
so. The only thing that was provided is the blankets.

we probably pay correspondingly more, but as there is a childcare component
of the child tax credit, it may have come in from that, as if you pay more,
but get more back it may cost less in the end. I've not really used daycare,
so I don't know if this is normal, or just this particular company, which is
a national one.

We did a lot of research into nurseries in the city and went to visit 6
of them. Only one provided nappies and formula (probably the one you
are talking about as it was the only national company). Mind you they
were the only ones that made the point they were happy to use ebm
although a couple of otheres mentioned it in their literature. All of
them apart from the ond ds is at provide food, although they do provide
snacks. Judging by his appetite since he has started crawling I think
we are getting our moneys worth there. If it is the one I think you
are talking about we decided not to send him there as the atmosphere
was very corporate and clinical and we didn't really see it as a
selling point to have dostevsky quotes on the wall and French lessons
at 3yrs. 2 months down the line we are happy we have chosen the best
one in the area even though it is the only one where we have to provide
the food. This is more inconvient for us than most as we only eat
veggie food and as ds will only eat 2 flavours of Hipp Organic and
won't eat much table food yet, we have to do a lot of extra cooking.

Sorry, I've gone off on a tangent here, but in asnwer to your question,
I don't think it is normal for nurseries in the area to profvide
forumla. This company in question is one of the more expensive ones but
not the top. The worst one we saw was one where the babies slept in a
damp room in old SilverCross prams that were stored outside in a
partically covered bike rack when not being used. Appalling - and they
were the most expensive one we saw. I feel sorry for those babies.

Jeni

Old June 27th 06, 02:47 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Nikki wrote:
I'm so flabbergasted that your dyacares provide all that stuff that I can't
even get round to thinking about if I like the advertising or not, lol. All
the places I've been here in the US the parents bring all the diapers,
wipes, formula/milk, and food for babies under 12-18 months or so. The only
thing that was provided is the blankets.

I think it must vary by community/region. Where we used to live, all
the daycare centers provided formula (yes, they would gladly accept EBM
from breastfeeding mommies) for the babies under a year, food/milk for
-all- kids, and diapers/wipes for the kids that needed them. And all
that for only about $100-150/week for full-time care! Here, (same
state, 250 miles away) I couldn't find a single daycare that did the
diapers/wipes thing, and the place we are at with DD doesn't even
provide blankets. So, anyway, such generous daycares do exist in the
US, but perhaps only in a few select areas.

-Carlye
DS 6-2-06
DD 9-29-04

Old June 27th 06, 04:59 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Carlye" wrote in message
oups.com...

Nikki wrote:
[...]

I would think it would be great on the providers end, never having to worry
about the parent remembering to bring in diapers or whatever.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old June 27th 06, 06:54 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Nikki wrote:
"Carlye" wrote in message
oups.com...

Nikki wrote:
[...]

I only checked out 3 locally, but all provided formula, if desired. I
*think* they also provided diapers but can't recall - my question had
been if they accept cloth diapers (1 did, the other 2 said no way).

All were quite happy to feed with EBM, they just provided formula as a
service. All 3 also had fees on a sliding scale, and their clientele is
mixed low-income to middle-income. So the provisions are partly to
assist low income families (tho this stuff is provided to all). Cost
for those who don't meet the cut-off for low income is $110-130/week,
not sure how low they go on their sliding scale.

As for whether or not they should provide formula, I'm a huge BF
proponent and believe BF education should increase, but the reality is
many of the mothers in question are people who are not in a position to
pump - yes, it's cheaper overall, but when you have a 15 min break and
no place to pump, there are challenges. Better to provide something
than have a malnourished baby because mom is trying to stretch formula
until the next paycheck, IMO.