bad pain - please help!

Old August 19th 06, 11:18 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
lucy-lu

Default bad pain - please help!

Hi all

I've been in so much pain for hours, but DH has be re-formatting the
computer! I hope some of you ladies are still up...

My right breast is causing me agony. At first, I thought it was "just"
mastitis (like *that's* ever easy!), but now I don't know what the pain
is... On the underside, I have what feels like a large hard area, not just a
lump, but a really big area, about the width of my digital camera, sqaure
and about 1/2 inch deep. That's painful enough, but the really awful part is
I have a tiny white skin bump, like a blister at the centre of my nipple,
and I think it's just at the top of a duct.

I've tried bf'ing through the pain, but it just made me cry. I managed a few
feeds this afternoon, but the pain is too bad now. I've managed to feed Jess
from the left breast, and hand expressed a very careful 3oz from the right,
before I really couldn't do anymore. With mastitis, I always feel unwell and
get a temp, but with this, I am just in so much pain, even the movement of
breathing hurts.

Has anyone had this? I'm scared the doc will just tell me to BF, tho obv, if
it gets much worse, I am going to have to ring the emergency doc.

Thanks guys

Lucy - feeling miserable

Old August 19th 06, 11:53 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mary W.

lucy-lu wrote:
My right breast is causing me agony. At first, I thought it was "just"
mastitis (like *that's* ever easy!), but now I don't know what the pain
is... On the underside, I have what feels like a large hard area, not just a
lump, but a really big area, about the width of my digital camera, sqaure
and about 1/2 inch deep. That's painful enough, but the really awful part is
I have a tiny white skin bump, like a blister at the centre of my nipple,
and I think it's just at the top of a duct.

Sounds like a plugged duct and maybe a milk blister. Here's
what Kelly mom says:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

Usually apply moist heat before nursing or expressing helps.
I usually would put some water in a disposable diaper,
heat it in the microwave for a bit, then apply that to the
breast. Pumping or expressing never would clear it for
me, the baby had to do it. If you position the baby so
that her chin is at the area that is clogged then she'll
do better at clearing it (I think that's right). Expressing
in a warm shower may help too.

I hope you get it cleared up soon, it can be very
painful.

Mary W.

Mary W.

Old August 20th 06, 12:14 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
lucy-lu

"Mary W." wrote in message
oups.com...

lucy-lu wrote:
[...]

Hi Mary

Thanks so much for the links and info...It definitely sounds like a milk
blister to me too. Jessie's just about due for a feed, so I'm going to try
the suggestions. Wish me luck - some of them sound a bit sore on a painful
boob!

Thank you again, I really appreciate it

Lucy x

Old August 20th 06, 12:46 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
lucy-lu

OMG, thank you Mary! I had to remove the skin as suggested on kellymom as it
didn't open under the moist heat, and when Jess latched on, I felt truly ill
and awful, but she had a really good feed and the hard area's just about
gone! I feel so much better and so much more comfortable! I can walk and
breathe again!

Thank you Mary!!

Lucy x

Old August 20th 06, 05:21 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

lucy-lu wrote:

OMG, thank you Mary! I had to remove the skin as suggested on kellymom as it
didn't open under the moist heat, and when Jess latched on, I felt truly ill
and awful, but she had a really good feed and the hard area's just about
gone! I feel so much better and so much more comfortable! I can walk and
breathe again!

I'm so glad that worked for you!!! I know
exactly how you feel. I had a really hard
lump on the right side that lasted all day
and I could not raise my arm or even breathe
deeply. I kept trying to get Rocky to nurse
on it for a long time (he nurses fast now),
but it wasn't until bedtime when he was
nursing slowly to sleep that suddenly, I
felt a WHOOSH and the hard stuff disappeared
and the pain lifted!

-- Anita --
Old August 20th 06, 11:44 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mary W.

lucy-lu wrote:
OMG, thank you Mary! I had to remove the skin as suggested on kellymom as it
didn't open under the moist heat, and when Jess latched on, I felt truly ill
and awful, but she had a really good feed and the hard area's just about
gone! I feel so much better and so much more comfortable! I can walk and
breathe again!

I'm so glad it cleared! Plugged ducts are truly awful. I've
only had them at work while pumping, and I never could
get the pump to clear it.

Ouch on the milk blister, I never had one of those!

Hope it stays clear.

Mary

Old August 20th 06, 05:40 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

absolute classic plugged duct, you need to clear it, the white bit, chances
are you are going to need to attack it with a needle (sterile!) once you get
rid of that bit, a little bit of pressure and the milk will be shooting out.

sounds like you probably don't have mastitis yet, but it can turn into it
fairly fast, some people would suggest other methods before grabbing the
needle, but I personally think you're more likely to get mastitis by waiting
than by getting it sorted now with a sterile needle

Anne

Old August 20th 06, 05:42 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

I'm so glad it cleared! Plugged ducts are truly awful. I've
only had them at work while pumping, and I never could
get the pump to clear it.

Ouch on the milk blister, I never had one of those!

I never had a plugged duct that wasn't linked with a blister and I seemed to
have a gazillion of them, with no1 I got in the habit of carrying a needle
on my person at all times!

it can be thrush that caused plugged ducts, so if you get another one be
vigilant for other signs of thrush

Anne