Chickenpox or ??

Old September 6th 05, 05:37 AM
Nan

Default Chickenpox or ??

Okay, I feel silly even asking this, since I've dealt with one child
that had Chickenpox (his was a textbook case), and information about
CP is easy to obtain.
However, it seems my 5 year old may or may not have it.

During her first week of Kindergarten, a note was sent home to inform
us that a child in her class had developed CP and that E may have been
exposed.
That was Aug. 24. Just this past Fri (Sept. 2) she woke up with a
temp. of 101, and cold symptoms (sniffly nose, sneezing). She had an
upset stomach and threw up twice in 2 days. On Sun she woke up
wanting "itchy skin lotion".

I noticed spots on her chin that hadn't been there before, and 2
others on her leg and hip. They haven't bothered her as far as
itching goes, though. The areas that were bothering her haven't had
any sores show up.

A few more "sores" have appeared but they haven't bothered her at all.
Her fever is now gone, although she's still got the cold symptoms...
mainly sniffling. My 17 month old also has a bit of the snifflies,
which is what is throwing me off about whether or not it's just a
cold.

She received the Varicella vaccination when she was just over a year
old, and from what I've read on WebMD, a "breakthrough" infection is
supposedly rare.

I'm keeping her home from school tomorrow just to make sure she's
fine, and I plan to call her ped in the morning, but I am wondering if
anyone else has experienced anything similar?

With the exposure in her class and the other symptoms, I'm inclined to
say she's caught a mild case, but I don't remember my ds having the
cold symptoms for more than a day before the sores showed up.

Nan
Old September 6th 05, 11:27 PM
Jeanne

Nan wrote:
[...]

DD received the vaccination and she got a very mild case of CP. I
apparently caught it from her (or one of her classmates). *I* felt
terrible the week before the spots appeared - fluish with fever and
aches. When the spots did appear, it was like your daughter - some
areas were itchy even though no spots had appeared. They showed up a
day or so later.

Old September 7th 05, 02:02 AM
Nan

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 18:27:34 -0400, Jeanne
wrote:

DD received the vaccination and she got a very mild case of CP. I
apparently caught it from her (or one of her classmates). *I* felt
terrible the week before the spots appeared - fluish with fever and
aches. When the spots did appear, it was like your daughter - some
areas were itchy even though no spots had appeared. They showed up a
day or so later.

Thanks for responding. She hasn't had spots show in the itchy areas,
but I talked to the nurse this morning. I'm treating it as if it is
CP and plan to call the school to find out their specific policy on
having her come back to class.

Nan
Old September 7th 05, 02:06 AM
Leigh Menconi

"Jeanne" wrote in message
Nan wrote:
[...]

My daughter also had a mild breakthrough case of CP, but not a fever and all
just a few spots on her torso. I was told by the doctor that breakthrough
cases are not contagious, not sure if that's true or not. Do you know if
the child who had it had been vaccinated? Just curious if what the doctor
said was true or not.

Leigh in raLeigh

Old September 7th 05, 02:15 AM
Nan

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 01:06:31 GMT, "Leigh Menconi"
wrote:

"Jeanne" wrote
DD received the vaccination and she got a very mild case of CP. I
apparently caught it from her (or one of her classmates). *I* felt
terrible the week before the spots appeared - fluish with fever and aches.
When the spots did appear, it was like your daughter - some areas were
itchy even though no spots had appeared. They showed up a day or so
later.

My daughter also had a mild breakthrough case of CP, but not a fever and all
just a few spots on her torso. I was told by the doctor that breakthrough
cases are not contagious, not sure if that's true or not. Do you know if
the child who had it had been vaccinated? Just curious if what the doctor
said was true or not.

In our case I don't know the identity of the child that exposed E, but
in talking to the nurse this morning, she said E wouldn't be
contagious after she has no fever and no new open sores. So I'm
assuming it is contagious.

Nan
Old September 7th 05, 06:41 AM
Nan

wrote:

My daughter also had a mild breakthrough case of CP, but not a fever and all
just a few spots on her torso. I was told by the doctor that breakthrough
cases are not contagious, not sure if that's true or not. Do you know if
the child who had it had been vaccinated? Just curious if what the doctor
said was true or not.

Leigh in raLeigh

According to the CDC website:

http://www.cdc.gov/nip/vaccine/varic....htm#17-spread

Can a vaccinated person who develops a mild case of chickenpox still
spread the disease?

Yes. Vaccinated persons who get this milder form of chickenpox may
still spread the disease to others who are not protected. Therefore,
these individuals should stay at home until the blisters have formed
scabs or if there are no blisters present, until no new spots or bumps
are forming.

Nan

Old September 7th 05, 02:17 PM
Mary W.

wrote:

[...]

Chicken pox has been going around my daughter's daycare. DD2 had
a full blown case at 11.5 months, she hadn't been vaccinated yet.
DD1 didn't get it at all, but 2 of the kids in her class had very
mild cases of it (both had been vaccinated), and the first girl's
parents didn't realize that was what it was until the second girl's
doctor confirmed it in her. I think a couple of the other kids
in DD2's class have had it, but since the spots end up being
so few in the vaccinated kids, and they don't act sick (except a
little cranky), I'm not sure the parents are recognizing it and
so they've been in school.

DD2, with the full blown case, never got really bad. She ran a
fever for a couple of days, and was cranky. She also had a runny
nose, but I don't know if that was related or not. She had *lots*
of spots though. First spot was seen Friday night, she stayed
home all the next week and then was back in school that next
week. She was still covered in spots, but they had all scabbed over
and at that point she wasn't contagious anymore.

Mary W.
Old September 8th 05, 12:09 PM
Jeanne

wrote:

[...]

That's what happened in our case. DD got a few pox on her legs and kind
of moody for two days but no fever. We already knew that one (maybe a
few) student had it in her class, but I wasn't in contact with that
student. So, we think those few spots on her was a mild case and I
ended up catching it from her.

Jeanne