How to tie shoelaces

Old August 28th 06, 01:26 AM posted to misc.kids
Jen

Default How to tie shoelaces

"Jeff" wrote in message
ink.net...

Although it's a fine motor skill, that seems, to me, to maybe have a
place in the classroom. Just like learning to write and use scissors,
they could also learn to tie knots and shoelaces.

It's a skill that kids will learn without the school's help when they need
to, like when they want to wear real basketball shoes, soccer shoes or
baseball shoes. It is a fine motor skill better taught at home or in
preschool or maybe kindergarten. I can't imagine how you would justify
paying a teacher $50/hr to teach a kid to tie shoes when probably 1/2 the
kids already know how.

But like I said, they could be learning other knots as well. We don't pay
much for school, but we pay a lot for preschool/kinder. There are a lot of
things taught in the early years of school that some of the kids already
know.

Jen

Old August 28th 06, 02:29 AM posted to misc.kids
Nan

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 19:52:15 -0400, "bizby40"
wrote:

"Nan" wrote in message
.. .
I understand. I send DD to school in non-tie shoes because I don't
want her teacher to have to tie her shoes on gym day.

Gym day? We have gym every day in grade school!

Bizby

Our elementary does, too. But each class has it's own slot, so my
dd's 1st grade classroom has it on Fri afternoon.

Nan

Old August 28th 06, 02:54 AM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

"Jen" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

As long as knot-tying isn't a skill on the standardized test, it's likely to
get short shrift in public schools these days. There's barely time to teach
everything previously taught in 1st grade in kindergarten as is-let alone
time to develop life skills like tying, buttoning, etc (which I know were
things which we were given practice doing via free play and centers in
kindergarten 30 or so years ago-my kindergarten report card includes things
like tying shoes and walking up and down stairs alternating feet-and reading
in kindergarten wasn't a requirement).

Jen

Old August 28th 06, 02:57 AM posted to misc.kids
bizby40

"Nan" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 19:52:15 -0400, "bizby40"
wrote:

"Nan" wrote in message
. ..
I understand. I send DD to school in non-tie shoes because I
don't
want her teacher to have to tie her shoes on gym day.

Gym day? We have gym every day in grade school!

Bizby

Our elementary does, too. But each class has it's own slot, so my
dd's 1st grade classroom has it on Fri afternoon.

What I mean is that every class has gym every day. Up until last year
they had gym four days a week -- every day except "block day" when
they had art, music and library. They've changed it now though, so
they have art one day, music another, library another, Spanish another
and....can't remember what on the fifth day. But they all have gym
every day.

Bizby

Old August 28th 06, 03:29 AM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

"bizby40" wrote in message

"Nan" wrote in message
Not all parents can afford to shell out $30+ for shoes, especially
when kids are outgrowing them quickly! As their feet get bigger, the
choices for velcro tabbed shoes dwindles greatly, and the pricier
brands are the only ones available.

I didn't like velcro, and so I always looked for laces, and sometimes had
trouble finding those. So I guess I was looking at it from a different
perspective.

FWIW you can buy a couple different things for tie shoes that replacet he
laces so you don't actually have to tie them. They are really inexpensive.

I don't spend a lot of time shoe shopping so I don't look around a lot. I
don't like character shoes so end up buying tie shoes a lot. My aunt gets
soooo freaking annoyed. She sees no point in buying tie shoes for kids.

Both my kids can tie their shoes but they are loose so I will sometimes do
it.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old August 28th 06, 03:42 AM posted to misc.kids
Cathy Kearns

"Nikki" wrote in message
news:RfOdna9mKMPsyG_ZnZ2dnUVZ_ridnZ2d@prairiewave. com...
FWIW you can buy a couple different things for tie shoes that replacet he
laces so you don't actually have to tie them. They are really

inexpensive.

When I broke my arm my daughter replaced all my tie shoes with these elastic
locking laces used for triathalons. Pretty cheap (around $2) and you never
have to tie your shoes again. They come in lots of cool colors also.

Old August 28th 06, 12:23 PM posted to misc.kids
Nan

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 21:57:05 -0400, "bizby40"
wrote:

What I mean is that every class has gym every day. Up until last year
they had gym four days a week -- every day except "block day" when
they had art, music and library. They've changed it now though, so
they have art one day, music another, library another, Spanish another
and....can't remember what on the fifth day. But they all have gym
every day.

Bizby

Our school system doesn't have that kind of schedule until middle
school.

Nan

Old August 28th 06, 12:27 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

"bizby40" wrote in
:

What I mean is that every class has gym every day. Up
until last year they had gym four days a week -- every day
except "block day" when they had art, music and library.
They've changed it now though, so they have art one day,
music another, library another, Spanish another
and....can't remember what on the fifth day. But they all
have gym every day.

then your school is unusual. in funding cuts, arts & gym in
lower grades are among the first things to go. in many
elementary schools recess is severely curtailed or non-
existant too.
and then people wonder why kids are so squirmy & antsy in
class...
lee
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be
Old August 28th 06, 12:37 PM posted to misc.kids
Nan

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:27:03 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

then your school is unusual. in funding cuts, arts & gym in
lower grades are among the first things to go. in many
elementary schools recess is severely curtailed or non-
existant too.
and then people wonder why kids are so squirmy & antsy in
class...
lee

Well, I'd say her school is unusual, but not for the same reasons.
Our school has a full-time gym teacher on staff. But there are so
many classes that each one gets one slot per week.
I'm not sure when recess is cut back, but E still gets plenty of
outdoor time, in 1st grade. I know 2nd grade also has recess.

Nan

Old August 28th 06, 12:59 PM posted to misc.kids
bizby40

wrote:

What I mean is that every class has gym every day. Up until last
year
they had gym four days a week -- every day except "block day" when
they had art, music and library. They've changed it now though, so
they have art one day, music another, library another, Spanish
another
and....can't remember what on the fifth day. But they all have gym
every day.

Bizby

Our school system doesn't have that kind of schedule until middle
school.

Well, it's different from middle school in that it's the entire class
going to one class or the other. Also, they are with their homeroom
teacher most of the day, it's only PE and that one other class that
they troop off to another teacher.

DD is in middle school this year, and she does not have gym every day.
Her school is on the block system, so she has two schedules that she
switches between day by day. One day is PE then math then science
then language arts, and the next is Math then social studies, then
"exploratory" (band + elective) then language arts. I find it very
confusing to have to remember which day is what, but I guess the kids
get used to it. The periods are 90 minutes long, and since they have
math and language arts every day, the end result is that they have
almost twice as much in those two subjects as I did in school, and
only half as much time for electives.

Bizby