How low can you feel the baby at 20 weeks?

Old December 30th 03, 09:42 PM
Jill

Default How low can you feel the baby at 20 weeks?

Just wondering...I have not felt the fluttering I was feeling in a couple of
weeks, that I used to feel around my belly button and just below. For a
couple of days I have felt the fluttering VERY low, like where I think my
kidneys and ovaries are, and just above the pubic bone in the center. Can
the baby move that far down?

Old December 30th 03, 09:54 PM
alissa

"Jill" wrote in message
.com...
Just wondering...I have not felt the fluttering I was feeling in a couple

of
weeks, that I used to feel around my belly button and just below. For a
couple of days I have felt the fluttering VERY low, like where I think my
kidneys and ovaries are, and just above the pubic bone in the center. Can
the baby move that far down?

Maybe it has turned around....so long as you feel something I wouldn't

worry. I didn't feel my DD until 22 weeks then it was thumps or small taps,
no fluttering probably due to me being overweight.
Alissa

Old December 30th 03, 09:56 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Jill wrote:

Just wondering...I have not felt the fluttering I was feeling in a couple of
weeks, that I used to feel around my belly button and just below. For a
couple of days I have felt the fluttering VERY low, like where I think my
kidneys and ovaries are, and just above the pubic bone in the center. Can
the baby move that far down?

Jill, I hate to break it to you, but your kidneys and ovaries are higher
than you think they are.

The ovaries are usually right at line with your belly button or maybe
only a smidge lower. The kidneys are right above your hip bones in the
back.

When you're pregnant, your ovaries move up of course.

The baby can move all over your uterus, which extends from the top of
your cervix all the way as far up in cm as you are in weeks (usually).

Old December 30th 03, 10:01 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

alissa wrote:

worry. I didn't feel my DD until 22 weeks then it was thumps or small taps,
no fluttering probably due to me being overweight.

I wish people would stop thinking that already. I'm overweight too, 240
lbs pre-pregnancy, and I felt my baby fluttering around at 12 weeks and
he started kicking me solidly at 16 weeks. By 18 weeks his kicks were
shaking my entire belly and could be felt from the outside. Now at 25
weeks everybody can feel him kick, he kicked my 15 year old niece
solidly in the cheek so hard she whipped her head up and hollered
"Woah!" You can even feel him squirm around underneath the skin with
your hand.

He's been crazy active since 16-18 weeks, having established his own
activity cycle, and squirms and kicks me all the time.

Feeling the baby does *not* have to do with being overweight or skinny.

Feeling the baby has to do with the particular activity (and craziness)
of your baby, the location of the placenta (if the baby is kicking the
placenta instead of directly at the uterus you may not notice), and your
nerve endings etc. If you just aren't sensitive where the baby kicks
you, you ain't gonna feel it... if the baby isn't kicking hard but
instead just likes to wiggle you might not notice the wiggles until much
later... etc.

Old December 31st 03, 01:55 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Shena Delian O'Brien wrote:

alissa wrote:

worry. I didn't feel my DD until 22 weeks then it was thumps or small
taps,
no fluttering probably due to me being overweight.

I wish people would stop thinking that already. I'm overweight too, 240

I have read this a lot online, and it doesn't really make sense to me.
I don't see how fat can affect the sensitivity a person has
*internally*. It might, however, affect *other* peoples' ability to
feel something if they just place their hand on the mother's tummy. I
wonder if someone somewhere said that it's harder for an external
observer to notice the kicking if there is more tummy fat in the way,
but that somewhere along the line the message got jarbled.

Old December 31st 03, 04:08 PM
SMK

Jill wrote:

Just wondering...I have not felt the fluttering I was feeling in a couple of
weeks, that I used to feel around my belly button and just below. For a
couple of days I have felt the fluttering VERY low, like where I think my
kidneys and ovaries are, and just above the pubic bone in the center. Can
the baby move that far down?

I am today at 22 weeks, but I have been feeling the baby unmistakably
since the 19th week. But then again, this is my second!
At this point the baby is not fixed and the lie changes quite
frequently, so what you are feeling could well be the little one! The
movements will soon get much stronger and then there would be no question.

--
Vidya
mom to Vandu(4)

Baby still with the head pointing up at 34 weeks Christa Pregnancy 3 November 24th 03 03:34 PM
Lydia's Birthstory (long) Andrea Pregnancy 29 September 7th 03 07:23 AM
low baby at 32 weeks Rachel Pregnancy 4 August 28th 03 10:35 PM
Ultrasound -28 weeks & update Elly Pregnancy 7 July 22nd 03 09:59 PM