Introduction

Old December 12th 04, 01:28 PM
Elizabeth

Default Introduction

Hi everyone! I'm Elizabeth and I'm expecting my first in early July (8
weeks along). I'm a 30-year-old nonprofit foundations director who
recently married a 42-year-old attorney/businessman. We live in
Westchester Co. about 40 minutes out of NYC. This is our first pregnancy.
DH & I are absolutely thrilled yet at the same time I'm basically
*terrified*, you know, hoping our baby will be healthy, hoping I'll be as
good a mother to my children that my mother was to me, worrying about how
many stupid mistakes I'll make and to what degree I'll make them, when to
do this, when to get that, and a million things I'm sure I've never even
considered. All the usual I'm sure you've either experienced or heard
here before.

I've had a little crankiness, moodiness and breast tenderness along with
quite a lot of nausea, and some *hellacious* heartburn but nothing other
than the heartburn's been totally unbearable. So far I've tried crackers
and peppermint and ginger teas, taking my vitamins in the late afternoon,
and moving around more slowly, especially in the mornings and afternoons,
which is when I'm experiencing the nausea (if it'd just pick a time and
get it over with, that'd be fine with me). Anyway, all that's helped a
bit. My heart goes out to those here who are experiencing horrible
nausea. The heartburn, I don't have a handle on at all and it's about to
drive me up the wall.

I'm used to doing a lot of exercise such as cardio, Pilates and yoga, and
I know that'll have to change. I'll start walking and swimming more, and
I'd appreciate any other ideas and advice for keeping as fit and healthy
as I can. Other than that, there's so *so* much information to absorb
(the stacks in the bookstores are daunting) that I don't know where to
start or if I'll find accessible (written in non-technical language) and
helpful information…any recs welcomed!

DH is very reassuring and supportive, and I like our family doctor very
much and have great confidence in him as a family doctor, but I'm feeling
a little 'lost' if that makes any sense. I know we need to decide on a
good birthing center and that I'll probably feel more comfortable once we
meet with some midwives and obstetricians. Although both of us grew up in
this area, we recently moved back east after being away for years. Any
recs in Westchester Co. would be greatly appreciated. I'm used to
shopping around and interviewing people, but am not sure if that's OK to
do--or if it is OK to do how to do it--when looking for an obstetrician
or a midwife. I know they're busy people and I don't want to waste their
time, but at the same time, I don't want people around me I'm not
comfortable with or in whom I don't have confidence. Any recs, advice
welcomed!

My mother is no longer with me to guide and help me but I've learned from
lurking here while we've been trying to get pregnant that this is a
lovely and friendly group with many *very* wise and *very* kind women.
The vast amount of knowledge and experience I've found here is wonderful
and at the same time also overwhelming. I've enjoyed reading the posts
here, and I'm looking forward to being a small part of the group.
Apologies for the length and assurances it won't be the norm.

--
Elizabeth
DD 7/7/05
Old December 12th 04, 05:11 PM
Irrational Number

Elizabeth wrote:

Hi everyone! I'm Elizabeth and I'm expecting my first in early July (8
weeks along).

Welcome, Elizabeth!

Westchester Co. about 40 minutes out of NYC. This is our first pregnancy.
DH & I are absolutely thrilled yet at the same time I'm basically
*terrified*, you know, hoping our baby will be healthy, hoping I'll be as
good a mother to my children that my mother was to me, worrying about how
many stupid mistakes I'll make

Ah, there will be many (if DH and I are any
examples to go by!). But, one thing I have
learned is the children teach parents how to
be parents. And the other thing I have learned
is to trust my gut feeling. Basically, if I
have done the research to my satisfaction and
I feel that I know my child, then I trust my
instincts.

Example: when Pillbug was just a couple of
months old, he'd sleep around 7pm-12am, nurse,
then get up every two hours. My mother said,
wake him up at 10pm when you go to sleep,
that way he'll stay asleep until 3am. Yeah,
right! That just taught him to wake up at
10pm and messed up his 5-hour long sleep.
So, just through things like that, I've
learned to trust myself; if I feel that something
may not work and may cause me more problems,
then I don't do it.

But, sometimes it's good to experiment. Pillbug,
now 18 months, has been doing 3-hour naps recently.
His night-time sleep was all messed up. DH and I
decided to limit his naps to 2 hours at most, but
regardless of how long the hap was, to wake him
up by 4:30pm or so. So far, it's helping... (But
I don't want to jinx it!)

I've had a little crankiness, moodiness and breast tenderness along with
quite a lot of nausea, and some *hellacious* heartburn but nothing other
than the heartburn's been totally unbearable. So far I've tried crackers

After munching on crackers nonstop in my first
pregnancy for the horrible nausea (and not having
the crackers work anyway), I have not touched a
cracker since!

I'm used to doing a lot of exercise such as cardio, Pilates and yoga, and
I know that'll have to change. I'll start walking and swimming more, and
I'd appreciate any other ideas and advice for keeping as fit and healthy
as I can.

My ob/gyn, whom I trust implicitly and explicitly,
says you can do all the exercise that you are already
used to doing. Just don't _add_ anything much more
strenuous than what your "normal" is. Walking and
swimming are great, just make sure that you don't
exceed your limits.

Pregnancy causes you to get tired more easily and
as your round ligaments stretch, you may lose your
balance more easily, too. So, whatever you do, just
watch for signs your body gives you.

[...] I'm used to
shopping around and interviewing people, but am not sure if that's OK to
do--or if it is OK to do how to do it--when looking for an obstetrician
or a midwife. I know they're busy people

It's absolutely okay to interview doctors and/or
midwives. Remember, YOU are hiring THEM to do a
service for you. I would call and ask if they
have a free initial consultation to see if we
have similar philosophies and ideas about health
care.

I found my ob/gyn via a friend's recommendation.

My mother is no longer with me to guide and help me but I've learned from
lurking here while we've been trying to get pregnant that this is a
lovely and friendly group with many *very* wise and *very* kind women.

Stay around and ask questions. Then, you can
start answering them, too, as you progress in
your pregnancy. Here's to an uneventful
pregnancy!

-- Anita --

Old December 12th 04, 05:27 PM
Kaybee

"Elizabeth" wrote in message
Hi everyone! I'm Elizabeth and I'm expecting my first in early July (8
weeks along). I'm a 30-year-old nonprofit foundations director who
recently married a 42-year-old attorney/businessman. We live in
Westchester Co. about 40 minutes out of NYC. This is our first pregnancy.

I want to congratulate you and your husband on expecting your first baby.
You are going to love bing pregnant. There will be days that you may ask
yourself why am I doing this but that is normal.

DH & I are absolutely thrilled yet at the same time I'm basically
*terrified*, you know, hoping our baby will be healthy, hoping I'll be as
good a mother to my children that my mother was to me, worrying about how
many stupid mistakes I'll make and to what degree I'll make them, when to
do this, when to get that, and a million things

Every parent makes mistakes. I have a 2 year old and one coming any day
know and I know that I still make mistakes. But we learn form them.

I'm sure I've never even
considered. All the usual I'm sure you've either experienced or heard
here before.

I've had a little crankiness, moodiness and breast tenderness along with
quite a lot of nausea, and some *hellacious* heartburn but nothing other
than the heartburn's been totally unbearable. So far I've tried crackers
and peppermint and ginger teas, taking my vitamins in the late afternoon,
and moving around more slowly, especially in the mornings and afternoons,

This will change and you will get your energy back then you will loose it
again when you get close to the delivery. You may find tums help with the
heart burn.

which is when I'm experiencing the nausea (if it'd just pick a time and
get it over with, that'd be fine with me). Anyway, all that's helped a
bit. My heart goes out to those here who are experiencing horrible
nausea. The heartburn, I don't have a handle on at all and it's about to
drive me up the wall.

I'm used to doing a lot of exercise such as cardio, Pilates and yoga, and
I know that'll have to change.

My doctor has told me that if you do these exercises regularly you can keep
doing them 'til they become uncomfortable to you. There are prenatal yoga
and pilates classes/videos out there. Just don't stop exercise all together
(unless your doctor tells you to due to a complication) the more in shape
you are the
easier your pregnancy will be and the labor. If you have questions about
your exercise program ask your doctor.

I wish you luck and we are extreamly helpful around here.

Kay
Eva 9/2002
little boy 1/2005

Old December 12th 04, 06:27 PM
Rebecca Jo

"Elizabeth" wrote:

[...]

Hallo, Elizabeth. Welcome to the group and congratulations on your
pregnancy.

Elizabeth
DD 7/7/05

--
Rebecca Jo
EDD may 27 2005

Old December 12th 04, 10:44 PM
Beach mum

"Kaybee" wrote
I want to congratulate you and your husband on expecting your first baby.
You are going to love bing pregnant. There will be days that you may ask
yourself why am I doing this but that is normal.

Or maybe you won't love being pregnant...but will be a good mom anyway. I
hate being pregnant. I hate everything about it from the way my body looks
to the way I feel to the clothes I'm wearing. I hated it last time too.
However, I love being E's mum and I'm looking forward to being a mum to #2.
There's nothing wrong with you if you don't love being pregnant and there
are others out there who don't love it (but are often afraid to say so). I'm
counting the days until this one is ready to be born and then I'll have my
body back (except for the breasts, which will be in use for a while) and
will have the enjoyment of having another baby.
--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

Old December 13th 04, 02:36 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Elizabeth wrote:

I'm used to
shopping around and interviewing people, but am not sure if that's OK to
do--or if it is OK to do how to do it--when looking for an obstetrician
or a midwife. I know they're busy people and I don't want to waste their
time, but at the same time, I don't want people around me I'm not
comfortable with or in whom I don't have confidence. Any recs, advice
welcomed!

Absolutely, positively you should be shopping around.
Call and ask for a consult, which they should do for free. Come
armed with your questions, so it's good to have an idea what
kind of birth you're looking for (assuming everything goes
according to plan). When you ask questions, ask for specifics.
In other words, if you're looking for someone with a low
epiisotomy rate, don't ask if they do unnecessary episiotomies
(they'll all say no!) or let them get away with saying, "We
never do episiotomies unless they're necessary" (they might
think every first timer needs one!). Ask what their episiotomy
rate is, specifcally, and under what conditions they recommend
them. Similarly for other issues that are important to you.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old December 13th 04, 06:24 AM
Jenrose

"Elizabeth" wrote in message
Hi everyone! I'm Elizabeth and I'm expecting my first in early July (8
weeks along). I'm a 30-year-old nonprofit foundations director who
recently married a 42-year-old attorney/businessman. We live in
Westchester Co. about 40 minutes out of NYC.

My husband's parents live in Cortlandt Manor.

Jenrose

Old December 13th 04, 06:35 AM
Kelly

Welcome to the group Elizabeth and congratulations on your pregnancy!

Kelly

Old December 13th 04, 10:20 AM
Chookie

Hello and congratulations!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet
Old December 14th 04, 11:47 AM
Elizabeth

"Jenrose" wrote in
news:1102919119.6f1cfd745bcc95ac4470baa0aea461b4@t eranews:

My husband's parents live in Cortlandt Manor.

Jenrose

We're going to drive up and look at the birthing center there at HVHC and
see about some OBs. It'd be a little bit of a drive, but at least there
wouldn't be lots of traffic. Have you heard anything about their birthing
center?

--
Elizabeth
DD 7/7/05

Introduction Shawn M. J. Mann Pregnancy 11 June 28th 04 09:25 PM
Introduction Kristi Carney Single Parents 48 May 20th 04 03:07 AM
Introduction J Costello Single Parents 1 January 28th 04 09:18 PM
Introduction - Gassy 5 month old YurtDweller Breastfeeding 1 August 24th 03 08:28 PM
Introduction Christa Pregnancy 8 August 15th 03 08:17 PM