I'm Baaaaack!

Old May 8th 04, 07:32 AM
Jamie Clark

Default I'm Baaaaack!

All,
Well, I've been off the ngs for almost 2 weeks -- I got hit in a major way
by the Sasser worm. My computer was so infected that it wouldn't stay up
for more than 10-20 minutes without crashing. I couldn't connect to the
internet to fix it, and finally had to have Microsoft fax me the fix
instructions. And, all the while, I could only work for about 10 minutes at
a time before it crashed again, so the fix was slow going. But, it seems to
be back up and running now. Oy. What a nightmare. I've been so
stressed -- it's been down since the end of April, and I'm responsible for
creating and printing the programs for our neighborhood Garden Tour (10-12
pages), which is in a few weeks, as well as our every-other month
neighborhood newsletter (12 pages) which is due out June 1st, PLUS I've got
to start working on our next Dear Birthmother letter! Can you say
stressed!!!!! Yikes!

So that brings us up to today...

Well, it's official. We have signed up for Booga #2. We had our sign up
appointment today at our adoption agency. The meeting went fine. We met
with a counselor that we'd known from last time. Our meeting was very easy
and casual -- more like a visit or chat than an official home study meeting.
We had Taylor with us, so much of the meeting was spent talking to and about
her -- what a cutie she is, etc. I turned in all of our paperwork, and have
just a few items outstanding -- three, I think. I have to get a certified
copy of our marriage license, wait for the Dr. to let me know that the
medical tests are back so I can pick up those documents and hand deliver
them to the agency, and I'm waiting for our last letter of recommendation.
Other than that, it's all turned in and filled out. We may be "in the book"
in June, which is exciting. Apparently the home study process for second
timers at this agency, and the finalization process for any second timer in
the state within 5 years is much faster! Yipeee! Also, she did say that
she thought that people who were adopting a second time were in a good place
to be chosen -- you are a proven parent, and a proven *adoptive* parent, and
even better if adoption #1 was an open adoption. So, that leaves me feeling
very hopeful. It still might take longer than it did the first time, but
the pressure is off, since we have Taylor. Anyway, it went really well, and
I'm feeling very relaxed about it all.
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest, Password:
Guest
Password

Handmade Baby Blankets -- www.geocities.com/digit_the_cat/Blankets.html

Old May 8th 04, 08:00 AM
CrystalRGarcia74

I think adoption is a wonderful thing!! A couple we are friends with and that
we also do business with has 12 adopted kids!! And has 3 of their own.

Subject: I'm Baaaaack!

Old May 8th 04, 02:40 PM
New York Jen

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you! My girlfriend just went to
California to get her baby and she's BEAUTIFUL! My brother and sister in
law had trouble with the first birth mother (she ended up keeping the baby),
but they are working with another birth mother now and so far so good
(fingers crossed!).

- Jen

Old May 8th 04, 05:27 PM
Christine

I'm Baaaaack

Whooooo Cares?

Old May 8th 04, 09:53 PM
A&G&K

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
hlink.net...
snip

[...]

Congratulations Jamie ... I hope the road to getting 'Booga #2' is smooth
and fast.
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old May 9th 04, 01:05 AM
Tori M.

Whooooo Cares?
Me

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04
"Christine" wrote in message
I'm Baaaaack

Old May 9th 04, 10:59 PM
A&G&K

"A&G&K" wrote in message

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
hlink.net...
snip

Well, it's official. We have signed up for Booga #2. We had our sign

up
appointment today at our adoption agency. The meeting went fine. We

met
with a counselor that we'd known from last time. Our meeting was very

easy
and casual -- more like a visit or chat than an official home study

meeting.

Congratulations Jamie ... I hope the road to getting 'Booga #2' is smooth
and fast.
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003
EDD 19th August 2004

I just wanted to say that they had a segment on open adoptions in the US
that aired on a major current affairs show here (Australia) last night.
While it was interesting to see the process, it also made me cry the whole
way through. The young birthmother had picked a young couple who seemed
like a perfect match.
The birthmother had asked what open adoption meant to each prospective
couple. One older couple answered that they'd call her "Aunty x" or that
she could be like a big sister ... which I thought was a bit strange. The
birthmother pointed this out as being particularly "wrong" to her as it was
essentially a lie.
The couple that were chosen as the right parents for the baby seemed a lot
more inclusive of the birthmother and encouraged her to phone them even if
she'd had a dream about the baby boy and wanted to come and see him.....

It was such a tearjerker, but I did find it very interesting.

Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old May 9th 04, 11:46 PM
Sophie

[...]

Was this with Barbara Walters? The girl was only 16? If so I felt bad for
the girl and her mother. If the step-father had said she could keep the
baby, she would have. I think the couple will regret having an open
adoption in the long run.

Old May 10th 04, 05:18 AM
A&G&K

"Sophie" wrote in message
[...]

It may have been, the same one I think ... although don't recall the girl's
parents saying much about it (probably edited out). My heart did ache for
the girl and I can only imagine the pain she as going through.

I think its hard to say if the couple will regret it though ... just judging
from two of my cousin's reactions to finding out who their birth parents
were at around 20 years of age (they did always know they were adopted).
One birthmother didn't want to know one of my cousins which really upset
her. She had a hard time trying to understand how on earth her mother could
give her up, and then when she decided to lift the block on her details at
the government office which overseas adoption records, she was hurt that her
birthmother had not made any attempt to find her. She was also devastated
when her birthmother refused to give her her birthfather's name, even though
she knew who it was.
At the other extreme, both my other cousin's birth parents found out his
details, looked up the name on the internet and just turned up at his office
one day (his internet site was professional) and said "hi, we're your birth
parents". They pestered him for months and even asked that he forgo
Christmas with his family (us) to spend it with his "real" family. He ended
up getting a restraining order and then eventually moved back to this State
where most of his family live.
Both of them were angry in different ways, and indeed the constant pestering
of one cousin by his birth parents drove him into a deep depression. While
my Aunt and Uncle supported their children's decisions whatever they
decided, it was hard to deal with the fall-out over their children's
individual reactions to finding their birthparent/s.
Looking back, I think my female cousin might have coped better if she'd at
least met her birthmother as a child (not permitted here in the 70s), and
that my male cousin may have been better able to cope if he'd been able to
meet his birthparents in familiar surrounds and with family support (instead
of feeling isolated by living interstate at the time of the initial
meeting).
I guess it depends on the individual.

I find it very interesting though.
Amanda