My 5 year old has 8 cavities

Old April 2nd 04, 12:17 AM
ted

Default My 5 year old has 8 cavities

Just got back from the pediatric dentist and he tells me my 5 year old
boy has 8 cavities that need to be filled according to his xrays. Well
needless to say i was kinda dumbfounded. What I cant understand is 6
months ago with the same dentist he said everything was fine. I make
my son brush regularly and he doesnt like sweets although I know there
are sugars in the juices he drinks.

Several other people I know use the same dentist and he always finds
cavities to fill in their young children.

I will be taking him to another dentist for a second opinion but was
wondering if anyone else has similar results and was wondering if this
dentist could be taking me for a ride to make money.

Me or my wife hardly brushed at all when we were small around his age
and we didn't have any problems or cavities.
Old April 2nd 04, 07:21 AM
Nic

"ted" wrote in message
Just got back from the pediatric dentist and he tells me my 5 year old
boy has 8 cavities that need to be filled according to his xrays. Well
needless to say i was kinda dumbfounded. What I cant understand is 6
months ago with the same dentist he said everything was fine. I make
my son brush regularly and he doesnt like sweets although I know there
are sugars in the juices he drinks.

Sugar in juice is one of the badder things to drink. I would dilute all
juices down. (2/3 water 1/3 juice)

Several other people I know use the same dentist and he always finds
cavities to fill in their young children.

I will be taking him to another dentist for a second opinion but was
wondering if anyone else has similar results and was wondering if this
dentist could be taking me for a ride to make money.

good idea. I didn't believe my dentist when he said I needed one filling. I
went and saw another dentist whom said I need 4 fillings. Needless to say I
went back to my normal dentist and got one tooth filled. My kids now see
that dentist.

Me or my wife hardly brushed at all when we were small around his age
and we didn't have any problems or cavities.

You and your kids are different. We have differnet weather, food and water
to 20 or 30 years ago. My kids brush most nights of the week since that is
the best time to brush. I dont force them to brush but I make brushing fun.

Its hard to say, maybe 6 months ago his teeth were fine and he isn't
brushing as well, maybe he is drinking more juice, maybe the contents of the
toothpaste has changed and isn't working as well. Could be anything really.
Maybe the dentist was disctracted the first tiem and didn't notice to well.

(((((((hugs))))))))))))) I hate going to the dentist, Its a hassle to book
in months in advance.

Nic

Old April 3rd 04, 05:33 AM
Darth Chaos

I make
my son brush regularly and he doesnt like sweets although I know there
are sugars in the juices he drinks.

That's where the problem probably is...all the sugar in the juice drinks.
Store-bought juices usually are around 15% juice (concentrated), and water and
sugar is added. You may want to look for 100% juices with no added sugar.

_____

"HYAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!" - Howard Dean

Old April 3rd 04, 05:28 PM
Jeff

"Nic" nospam@nospam wrote in message

"ted" wrote in message
Just got back from the pediatric dentist and he tells me my 5 year old
boy has 8 cavities that need to be filled according to his xrays. Well
needless to say i was kinda dumbfounded. What I cant understand is 6
months ago with the same dentist he said everything was fine. I make
my son brush regularly and he doesnt like sweets although I know there
are sugars in the juices he drinks.

Sugar in juice is one of the badder things to drink. I would dilute all
juices down. (2/3 water 1/3 juice)

I would dilute the juices further: (3/3 water, 0/3 juice). Kids don't need
juice, which is sugar water. Let them eat the whole fruit.

Several other people I know use the same dentist and he always finds
cavities to fill in their young children.

I will be taking him to another dentist for a second opinion but was
wondering if anyone else has similar results and was wondering if this
dentist could be taking me for a ride to make money.

good idea. I didn't believe my dentist when he said I needed one filling.

went and saw another dentist whom said I need 4 fillings. Needless to say

went back to my normal dentist and got one tooth filled. My kids now see
that dentist.

I agree with the second opionion. How do you know that you shouldn't have
had 4 fillings and that you won't have problems later?

Me or my wife hardly brushed at all when we were small around his age
and we didn't have any problems or cavities.

You and your kids are different. We have differnet weather, food and water
to 20 or 30 years ago. My kids brush most nights of the week since that is
the best time to brush. I dont force them to brush but I make brushing

fun.

Its hard to say, maybe 6 months ago his teeth were fine and he isn't
brushing as well, maybe he is drinking more juice, maybe the contents of

the
toothpaste has changed and isn't working as well. Could be anything

really.
Maybe the dentist was disctracted the first tiem and didn't notice to

well.

I don't think cavities usually just pop up after 6 months. Plus, kids tend
to drink less juice as they get older. You should probably talk to your
dentist (or go to a pediatric dentist) and find out what you can do to
prevent cavities in the future.

Jeff

Old April 3rd 04, 05:29 PM
Jeff

"Darth Chaos" wrote in message
I make
my son brush regularly and he doesnt like sweets although I know there
are sugars in the juices he drinks.

That's where the problem probably is...all the sugar in the juice drinks.
Store-bought juices usually are around 15% juice (concentrated), and water

and
sugar is added. You may want to look for 100% juices with no added sugar.

100% juice has just as much sugar. It is basically sugar water. There really
isn't much difference. Better: drink water and eat whole fruits.

Jeff

Old April 4th 04, 10:42 AM
Nic

"Jeff" wrote in message

"Darth Chaos" wrote in message
I make
my son brush regularly and he doesnt like sweets although I know there
are sugars in the juices he drinks.

That's where the problem probably is...all the sugar in the juice

drinks.
Store-bought juices usually are around 15% juice (concentrated), and

water
and
sugar is added. You may want to look for 100% juices with no added

sugar.

100% juice has just as much sugar. It is basically sugar water. There

really
isn't much difference. Better: drink water and eat whole fruits.

I agree, Its better to eat whole fruits which my kids do. As for drinking
water my kids aren't big lovers of it. So therfore I buy 100% juice and
dilute it. Sometimes they get that, other times water only.

Do you yourself drink nothing but water all the time ? I think it is wrong
to claim one thing and do another thing.
My kids tend to eat and drink the same as me except for a few items.

It will be intersting to see if my children have any problems with there
teeth. They and myself are seeing the dentist on thursday this week for a
check up.

Nic

Jeff