Benadryl for teething?

Old March 11th 04, 02:38 AM
GwenO MS

Default Benadryl for teething?

Okay, here is one where I get my hackles up! I'm an addictions therapist by
profession.... when I'm not being granny/nanny to the twins, I see people who
are strongly affected by addictions. It's not just the giving of the medical
cure-all, but the mind-set about having to deal with problems with mind and
physiology-altering substances that bothers me. I'd be REALLY careful about
dosing kids with meds that are NOT prescribed with specific instruction,
specific time-limits and dosages by a responsible pediatrician. Benadryl is an
anti-histimine. It is used for histamine (allergic) reactions. The swollen
and/or painful gum is not an allergic reaction! My husband is a dentist, and
he never suggested using such a remedy for teething (and we had one kid who
teethed 'terribly' and actually needed gum cut to allow the tooth to come
through). Your doc might suggest something for pain, such as infant tylenol or
motrin -- or something like orajel. Teething, like sleep problems, colic, gas,
reflux -- it's something kids go through in different ways. There is something
to be said for talking to your peer group (other parents) who have gone through
this and survived! A baby who is in pain should certainly benefit from
prescribed remedies, as well as some rocking and singing and TLC from parents.
We are too quick in this society to look for 'bandaid remedies' when addressing
normal developmental difficulties. I'll say it again -- hang in there, and
don't think that the baby is permanently traumatized by teething pain! This
too, shall pass.
Grandma Gwen

Old April 14th 04, 09:08 PM
The Huwe Family

I don't know much about the benedryl, but here is a suggestion for the
teething pain.

My cousin has a baby a few months older than my triplets and so her
daughter generally goes through things before my kids do.

She has heard and read from different sources that giving the babies things
like orajel and the teething tablets actually make the
gums tough making it more difficult and painful for teeth to break through.
The thing that was suggested was taking cold (not frozen) fruit, and placing
it in one of those baby safe food feeders from Babies R Us that have the
netting on the end (so kids can chew and get the flavor, but cant swallow
whole and choke.) The cool fruit sooths the gums. (frozen foods can cause
frost bite.)

My babies are 6 mo old now and are starting to teeth. I have given them
Tylenol on occasion when needed. I will be trying the feeders though when
it get's to that point.

Gayle
BBG 09/24/03

"Karen" wrote in message
om...
Another question, this one should be a bit easier to respond to

I've had a few people tell me, including a nurse, to use Benadryl for
teething. I've been told both to rub it on the baby's gums, and also
to give them small amounts.
But other people, including a pharmacist, have never heard this and
can't imagine how it would help (except, perhaps, making the babies
sleep..but the down-side is that it can also make children extra
hyper).

What have you heard and what are your experiences?

thanks,
Karen

Old April 15th 04, 06:38 AM
Karen

The thing that was suggested was taking cold (not frozen) fruit, and placing
it in one of those baby safe food feeders from Babies R Us that have the
netting on the end (so kids can chew and get the flavor, but cant swallow
whole and choke.) The cool fruit sooths the gums. (frozen foods can cause
frost bite.)

What a great idea! Now that the girls are enjoying new flavors, this
should go over really well. The also love chewing on wet washcloths,
this may give them the same sensation.

Someone earlier also asked about giving meds to babies under 6 months.
I think all the meds say 'under 6 months ask your doctor,' which I
do. Certainly not something to rely on, but when all else fails, I'm
willing to give tylenol a try.

Another note about this, I asked about children's Motrin, just out of
curiosity. The nurse said they save Motrin for very high fevers, b/c
it is very effective at bringing down a temperature, but if used too
frequenly, it loses its effectivenss. Just a tip...

thanks again for all the input,
Karen