Thank you for those people who supported my statements

Old June 28th 03, 07:07 AM
ŠkatŠ

Default Thank you for those people who supported my statements

Well, actually, I've been having problems again with little things... Going
down for naps, going to bed when it's bed time and so on. He now tries to
pull off the, "eat!" thing as I put him to bed, even after he's had supper
and more often than not, a banana or something offered as a snack that he
often decides would be more fun to play with than eat, and sometimes I do
wonder if he's really hungry. He's been getting worse and worse at meals,
and wants garbage like chips. I have now limited my spending on chips and
cookies, just to be able to say, "there are none!" and not be lying to him.
He's sleeping now, and has been for about 2 hours, but I originally put him
to bed shortly after 7:30ish, and half an hour later, he was up wanting to
eat. I let him finish off his banana that he didn't want to eat before
going to bed, then put him back down.
A while back, I was pulling out all his toys from his room. He wasn't
allowed to have ANY toys in his room when it was nap/bed time because he
would just get up, turn the light on by standing on whatever toy was big
enough, and he'd just play. So for a while, all of his toys were in the toy
boxes and other containers in the middle of the hallway right out of our
rooms. He got into the habit of going right to bed shortly after, and I got
tired of tripping over toy boxes, so put the toys back in his room. Only
recently he started that up again. I'd hear him playing and go in and put
him to bed over and over again. His toys are still in his room now, but I
have unscrewed the light bulbs in his room enough so they don't turn on. I
have no idea how dangerous that is, or if it is at all, but I figure it
can't be dangerous if he can't reach it... He now does go to bed,
eventually, but does not turn the light on and play at least.
I've also gotten into the habit of letting him pick out the book(s) he wants
to read before bed, and when I tuck him into bed, I ask him what he wants to
do the next day. Obviously I don't get any sort of real answers, often I
hear, "eat" or "walk" or "mall" or something similar, so if he suggests
something, then I promise on it. If he says something that makes no sense,
I make a promise that I can come up with. Most of the time I promise that
if he goes straight to sleep, we will call grandma the next day, or if I
think it's at all possible, I'll promise we'll actually go to grandma and
grandpa's the next day. Seems to be working most of the time... But not
tonight.
I find that reverse psychology is bad. (Teaches him to do the opposite) and
promises made and kept seem to work fine. I often can't get out of promises
I made because he does remember them the next day, even at 2 and a half.
I'm wondering if this is a good way to go about it or a bad way. I think
it's good because I'm making him a promise. I think it's teaching him that
if I promise him something, he can be assured that I will keep that promise
and that he can trust me. I'm also hoping for later days when it can go
both ways, be it a promise to let me know where he's going, when he'll be
home, or something like calling if he's out and not going to make it home
when he's supposed to be. I'm hoping by promising something and keeping
that promise, he can learn that your word should mean something, and a
promise is your word. I may be crazy, and I'm sure not all will agree, but
I'm hoping this is the right thing... In a way, I feel like I'm fooling him
with something that is almost like a bribe, but in another way, I don't
really feel that I am doing that. It's not like I'm saying, "I'll give you
a cookie if you go right to bed!!" It's more like, "I want you to go
straight to bed. If you go to bed nicely, in the morning, we will ______,
but if you don't go to bed and you keep getting up, we will just stay
home." - I feel like I'm making him a deal that is a win-win situation for
us both.

Am I going crazy? It seems to be a good way to get him to do the things I
believe are right, while giving him the opportunity, in a way, to make his
own decisions, even though I don't believe he really is old enough to see
that.

"CME" wrote in message

"ŠkatŠ" wrote in message
HAHAHA!!
He hasn't really been asking for whatever food to be swimming in ketchup
lately.
He still wants things that I tell him he won't like or isn't good for

him.
(For example: An entire container of salt on a few pieces of egg, and an
entire container of chicken seasoning on potatos...)
And... He just got up - what good luck!

Yeah that's when you pull rank and say "NO" and when he gets older and

asks
why, you say "Because I said so". Kat, honey, as a parent you know what's
right and what's wrong and you should NOT let a 2 year old dictate what he
can and can not do. You are not doing him any favours by letting him get
his way, because girl, it will start with food and snowball into more
serious behaviour. There are such things as natural consequences, and

then
there is a parental obligation to guide our children and it may seem

trivial
with hot sauce and salt, but if you don't nip it in the bud now, you'll be
sorry. Trust me on this.

Christine

Old June 28th 03, 11:45 AM

I think your desire to teach your son you keep your promises is a good
thing. However, I feel bedtime is a must do. As is wearing clothing, be it
simply underpants or a diaper at 2 years old. It's not debatable, it's not
something you reward. Bedtime routines help. Warm bath, cuddles, reading
of a book. Talking about the next day, may or may not be a good idea. With
my son, talking about the next day just made him more alert and wound up.
The better way, in my opinion, is the morning after he went to bed nicely,
without problems, tell him how proud you were of his behavior. But
remember, at 2 years old they are finding their "sea legs" as it were. They
are testing out boundaries. They don't want promises, they need to know how
far they can go. THAT is how you will teach him he can trust you. By
saying NO and meaning it.

Just my 2 cents
Betsy
--
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with
ketchup.

In ,
ŠkatŠ typed:

Old June 28th 03, 04:21 PM
Lisa aka Surfer

"CME" wrote in message

"Cele" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 03:31:41 GMT, "CME"
wrote:

Yep, a fellow canuck...right here in good ol' Edmonton. We even did
lunch, hey Kat? lol Is Brandon avoiding ketchup looking substances

like
the
plague, or has he gotten over the hot tasting red stuff yet?

ROFL Ouch!

Hey, you guys. My eldest swears she's going to Edmonton next month to
celebrate her eighteenth. I wonder if she'd actually give you guys a
call, if I suggested it?

Oh for sure! When is she coming up? We'll show her Whyte Ave, right Kat?
Go ahead and email me at cme_ (at) telus (dot) net and if she's

comfortable
enough to give me a ring, I'll show her West Edmonton Mall. lol

Christine

Whyte Ave???? LOL,,,,,straight for the party part of town. I'd worry if I
were you Cele

Naughty girls. I had a blast there when I was in town.

Surf

Old June 28th 03, 09:45 PM
Laura

wrote in message .com...
[...]

I agree with everything Betsy says here, and would add that routines
such as the bedtime one she describes take several weeks to become
routines, so if you try it, you can probably expect some resistance at
first. But it's well worth it. After a while the routine itself
becomes the comforting thing for the child. My boys are 7 and 9 and
the bedtime routine is pretty much the same as it ever was, only a
little later in the evening and with better bedtime stories :-) Good
luck.

lm
Old June 29th 03, 07:00 PM
CME

"ŠkatŠ" wrote in message
news
Hm... I could very well be wrong, but I could have sworn I heard a

senior's
apartment complex type deal, and I remember, clearly, wondering why the

hell
senior's apartments would be put up right in the mall... Quite strange,

but
I really don't care enough to actually care, I suppose.
I have to use the washroom real bad, my back, leg and head are going to

soon
be the death of me, and I haven't slept much at all lately.
Senior's apartments would be nice. I would actually go to the mall

again -
only not so often - because I could find a nice little old lady or man

visit, or both, and have her bake me cookies and him tell me stories of
'back in the day' and from the times of war. That would be fun.

Haven't slept much? What happened to you?

Signed,

Nosey Parker.

Old June 29th 03, 07:03 PM
CME

"ŠkatŠ" wrote in message
HAHAHAH
We actually JUST went to Ikea (and the south side Best Buy) just the other
day. I wanted to go to Ikea, and so we drove all the way down Calgary

Trail
to fight over which lane I needed to turn into the parking lot, only to
finally turn and find out that Ikea has moved - DUH. So then Wes all of a
sudden turns smart and 'remembers' that Ikea moved down to South Common.
(Since that accident my brain has been on a honeymoon vacation with my
memory) After hitting Best Buy, we spent a VERY long time trying to

figure
out how the **** to get from the BB parking lot to the damn Ikea one.
Finally finding it, and then finding a parking stall almost out of the

city,
I found out all the new carts are very similar to a drifting or

hydroplaning
car. (I remember my awesome hydroplaning experience when it was slushy

only
a few months ago when we were all in the car and heading down 112ave to

the
Capilano...)
AFTER getting lost in that new store, I went to some dip**** who

supposedly
'worked' there because at home I circled all the items I wanted to pick up
that I had 'use' for. (Remember brain vacation here) I left my flyer at
home and when I asked the dork working, I was told they have no flyers...
I'm not sure why, but a store had NO flyers... I then find out that the

one
item I wanted to get many of wasn't on sale until something like the 26th

or
something, which was 2 days later, and I wasn't about to pay $20 for an

item
on sale for only $5. Angered at my inability to read the small print, I
drove home fueled by rage, bringing it out as road rage - typical for me,

or
so I am told.
From actually FINDING the damn place to finding my way around and getting
home - new Ikea was a bad, bad first experience... And I love Ikea.
I did pick up a couple sets of food container things, a rack and some
flowers Wes never buys me potted plants at all, even though I always
want some... I have this tree thing that I got from my dead friend's dad -
that I am working hard to keep alive as the stupid cat eats the branches

and
leaves, a home made chia head pet that we made - sorta - together and now

my
2 new potted plants! Yippee!
Arg. I am angry now...
I still love Ikea, though.

You know I recommend therapy. lmao Wow, talk about a bad day...

Christine

Old June 29th 03, 07:09 PM
CME

"ŠkatŠ" wrote in message
[...]

I think teaching him about keeping your word is admirable, especially at 2.
If it works for you Kat, who am I to argue? My kids have learned the hard
way, that I say what I mean, and mean what I say... it nips problems in the
bud (well so far so good. lol). Anyways, I think you're doing a great job.
Hell, I'm sure there are parents out there that don't even think about the
things you do, so you are ahead of the game.

Christine

Old June 29th 03, 07:35 PM
ŠkatŠ

Dear NP,

I have, really, no idea what I have been doing lately. For the last little
while, maybe the past 3 pr 4 months, my brain has been gone. I just can't
seem to concentrate on anything. I forget everything so easily. I can be
told or asked something, then half an hour later, I totally forget. I write
things down, but then I come across papers with notes written on them, and
although they are all in my writing, I have no idea what they mean, and
often don't remember when or why they were written. It's like I'm slowing
going retarded or brain dead.
I just can't seem to sleep at night. It's either way too hot or way too
cold. When it's way too cold, I climb under all my blankets, when it's way
too hot, I turn the fan on and sleep on top of the blankets. But when I get
one extreme, I always wake shortly feeling the opposite extreme. This new
bed I have, I thought, was great. It had a mattress 300x better than my
last bed, so I was looking forward to a good night's rest and not waking up
stiff as a board. Ha. Stupid to think that. I still wake up just as
rattled in the morning.
Almost every time I stand up, I get that tunnel effect that I get with bee
stings, and I feel like I'm starting to black out. Only twice have I
actually blacked out completely and just dropped. Once at the lake a few
years back, even before this little accident, and fell in the cabin against
the stove - yet I don't remember smacking my head/face right on the stove
and banging my head nicely on the floor - and once since Sept when I found
myself on the floor with a very sore arm and hip. It's all so very strange.
If my head isn't spinning, my eyes are twitching and blurry. Wes tells me
my eyes are constantly going crossed when I read, watch TV, read something
on the computer - or anything that involves seeing and focusing.
Major headaches and migraines still visit me and drive me insane. I'm not
sure what to do as I do not like doctors. I still cannot afford the therapy
I was told to get by the long time doctor who was also the pediatrician for
my brothers and I. I'm also damn scared of calling that other lady's
insurance company guy. I'm trying to avoid him, and I'm getting pulled from
both sides by family and friends about all of this. I'm also scared that
something will happen - again - with our insurance if I do anything, and we
JUST got everything straightened out.
They were cancelling us after only 2 years and sending us to Kingsway which
insures dangerous drivers. They said it was because of my accident that I
wasn't at fault for, and where the other insurance even told them to waive
our deductable. The other lady was charged and there was no claim at all by
us. After bringing in driving records and finding we both had absolutely
clean driving records, they decided to keep us, renew the insurance a week
or so ago, and drop the cost down a few hundred for each 3 month payment.
In October Wes turns 25, so we were told insurance would drop drastically if
there are no accidents or claims or anything. So I'm not sure if I should
get a hold of the other insurance compay of the lady who was at fault for
the accident or not. I'm just somewhat scared to do anything right now, but
it's getting harder and harder to get through the day. I know things could
be worse, of course, and I should consider myself lucky, but in ways I do
not.

****, I ramble and get off topic so easily... Sorry about that...

Signed,
Moron at Times.

Old June 29th 03, 07:45 PM
CME

"ŠkatŠ" wrote in message
[...]

Dear M@T

Go and see a Doctor!!! Period. (and not a bloody Mediclinic Dr.)

Christine

Old June 29th 03, 11:26 PM

Don't mean to butt in, but as a nurse I must respond. GET TO A DOCTOR!!!
Preferably a neurologist. It could be from the accident, or something else.
You won't know until you go. PLEASE go.

Betsy
--

"CME" wrote in message

"ŠkatŠ" wrote in message
news
Hm... I could very well be wrong, but I could have sworn I heard a
senior's apartment complex type deal, and I remember, clearly,
wondering why the hell senior's apartments would be put up right in
the mall... Quite strange, but I really don't care enough to
actually care, I suppose.
I have to use the washroom real bad, my back, leg and head are
going to soon be the death of me, and I haven't slept much at all
lately.
Senior's apartments would be nice. I would actually go to the mall
again - only not so often - because I could find a nice little
old lady or man to visit, or both, and have her bake me cookies and