ADHD and school placement

Old April 11th 05, 06:13 PM

Default ADHD and school placement

My 7 year old son has ADHD and is currently at a year round school and
has a variance. He has been in detention 3 times for MINOR infractions.
He has been told his varience will NOT be renewed next year.

The school he is zoned for is a good school but it is on a traditional
school year calendar, which means he is off school for 3 months in the
summer rather than 5 weeks like in the year round.

He had a lot of trouble adjusting to the first grade because he had to
sit still for 6 hours. This is what got him on the radar and tested for
ADHD. I feel VERY strongly that he needs the structure of a year round
school. 3 months off is simply too long and his readjustment period
will be greater as a result. He also has a difficult time making
friends and I would like him to stay where he has already established a
friend network. He is also behind in school and this is why I feel he
is not getting a variance. The principal does not want to use her
resources on kids outside her zone. His sister, who is going to middle
school next year was a honor student and did not have trouble getting
her variances.

I was told by Nevada PEP (a parent advocacy group for special needs
kids) that I could request a "placement" to a year round school. The
principal said ADHD is not a good enough reason for a special
placement. I disagree. The people at school are not always forthright
with me so I do not know what to believe. Anyone ever dealt with
placement issues for ADHD before? What can I do to help get this done?
He is having an IEP within the next month.

Any help is appreciated.

Debbie

Old April 11th 05, 06:24 PM
Jeff

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I think your principal is sort of right. ADHD itself is not enough reason to
request a placement at a year round school. However, the particulars of your
son's situation as well as the benefit that he would recieve would be reason
to place him in a year round school.

Your request for year round placement seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I would suggest talking to your son's doc. I would also talk to your son's
teachers and guidence counselor or social worker at school. You should also
talk with the PEP, too. They probably have parents who have dealt with the
schools and know how to get through the red tape.

Jeff

Any help is appreciated.

Debbie