Advice please son's 1st birthday :)

Old June 27th 03, 06:19 PM
Rolly The Pervert

Default Advice please son's 1st birthday :)

Make some cake, get some other kids there, let him make a mess, and more of
a mess, pay tons of extra attention to him the whole day.

Can't think of anything that'd make him happier

And yes get the Camera!

"me" wrote in message
Hey guys, my name is Marcia and I need help! First off I'm a 22 year
old single parent from the bronx, and my only child is turning 1 on
July 7th and I have absolutely no idea what to do!!! My son's dad is
not in the picture and I barely have family so thats a no go but I
really didn't (nor can I afford) a big party anyhow. I was gonna buy
some gifts like toys and stuff maybe about 3 or 4 ,about 10 balloons
and a cake with a disposable camera and celebrate at home with him.
But I dunno a part of me is saying I'm a horrible parent for not
planning anything big for him, is this good enough? LoL, I'm really
interested in you guys ideas maybe what you guys did with your
children on their first birthday I'm sorry to intrude in like this
but I need help I can stick around and give some of my advice as
well if needed Thanks for reading!

Marcia

Old June 27th 03, 06:33 PM
turtledove

"me" wrote in message
[...]

First relax! The first birthday is for YOU!! He's not going to remember
it, so don't worry so much!

My thoughts, get the camera, make sure his cake has extra icing so he gets
it absolutely everywhere on him and take tons and tons of pictures!!! And
you can show him all the pictures when he's older...he'll absolutely love
it!

It was just me and my son on his first birthday! All I did was take
pictures. I got him a few small toys and we did his favorite thing at the
time: playing in the bathtub with mom (it helped to clean up all the mess
from the cake!!)

Have fun and let us know what you did!!

hugs,
*bri

Old June 27th 03, 07:27 PM
ŠkatŠ

Hey, I'm Kat, and I'm exactly 19 years older than your son - to the day!
Hooray for July 7 birthdays!! 2 boys. Brandon is 2 and a half and Zachary
is 3 and a half.
First birthdays don't seem to matter to the kids. And as said above
somewhere, the first birthday is more for you than for your child. Your son
won't remember anything and yes, it will be more fun for him in the years to
come as you both look at pictures and laugh, while you can remember and tell
him stories.
For my son's first birthday, although my ex has nothing to do with him
anyways, we had a big party with family. He was sick for his first birthday
and on only liquids. (Lots of water and watered down juice) and could not
have cake or ice cream or pizza. I could not afford much for his birthday,
both birthdays are right after Christmas (December 29 and January 31) so
since Christmas made me broke, and I wasn't able to go all out, a few
smaller gifts were fine. Both the boys love trucks, so that was a definite
as a birthday present, as well as clothes that were much needed. With lots
of people at a birthday party or not, pictures are a definite, and so is
fun.
You don't need a huge party with 1000's in attendance. If it is you and
your son only, then you can still definitely have an awesome day and so can
your son. If you can round up a few of your friends with or without
children of their own, what family you do have or even the neighbourhood
kids, I don't see what would be wrong with that, and even if you can't, this
is a day for your son (and yourself) and there are many ways you can
celebrate.
Pack a lunch and go for a picnic in the park with him. It's pretty
inexpensive to make some sandwiches, cut up some fruit or veggies and throw
in a few cookies, or whatever you decide, and then you don't have to clean
up as much after you eat. Spend the day doing a bit more than what you
already do. Spend some time fingerpainting a picture frame, then when cake
time comes, take a picture as he puts his whole hand in the cake when it's t
ime to blow out the candle. Let him have some fun digging into his cake and
smearing it around every inch within arm's length and every possible part of
his body. Take a picture of that and put it in a frame you made together.

I really don't know. We spent the day just having some fun. There's no
real need to go all out with decorations, gifts, people, snacks and so on.
You'll have enough of that when he hits school and wants to take every
single classmate to the "coolest" birthday place. Take it easy for his
birthday, spend some time to get yourself in order as well. After all, 1
year ago on his birthday, you didn't have a baby in your arms and might very
well have been spending the time in a hospital eating gross food and, for
the first little while, not having all that much fun 'waiting' for your baby
to actually be here!

I don't know what to suggest, really, other than what already came to my
mind. You can definitely take it or leave it, but maybe something catches
your eye and is something you and your son can enjoy!

Old June 27th 03, 08:21 PM

Marcia,
For my first child's birthday, I made a cake and we had a neighborhood,
backyard BBQ. Everyone brought a covered dish and no one was fussy
about hot dogs, hamburgers and chicken legs on the BBQ. It was a
reasonable celebration and most understood that finances were tight.
The cake that I made was decorated easily by using a coloring book page
that I traced over with wax paper and a pin and then placed it on the
hardened icing, pricked through the wax paper outline onto the cake and
just connected the dots on the icing and filled it in with
confectioner's icing.... really easy and cute. Hand and homemade
decorations are always valued more than the store bought stuff anyway.
While sorting through mother's things this week (she just passed away),
the things that she saved and valued were the homemade cards and
drawings that we gave her through the years. It isn't about what you
can afford... do not feel like a lousy mother for doing the best that
you can... and nothing replaces the love that you have for your child
and the time that you spend with him or her.

'Kate

Old June 27th 03, 09:51 PM
Joelle

A party for a 1 year old is for you - not the kid. If it doesn't work for you
to have a party, then it's not going to make any difference to him. Buy him a
few toys that will be fun to play with him, make yourself a nice dinner and
take some pictures.

Sorry you don't have anyone to share this with, but you can make it a nice day.

Joelle

If you want to make God laugh, tell him what you are doing tomorrow
Father Mike
Old June 27th 03, 10:21 PM
arrowlili1

Hi marcia,

Firstly, welcome! I didn't have a party for my daughters first, more
because that's not the type of thing my family does and secondly because I
didn't know enough people to throw a party. I bought a lot of presents for
her and after the second one she started to cry cause she was so
overwhelmed... I think. Like everyone else has said, it's more for you than
your son. As long as you know whether you have made the extra effort, be it
finacial or timewise, then you should feel like you've made it a special
day!

anna

Old June 28th 03, 12:57 AM

In ,
me typed:
[...]

Hi Marcia, and welcome! For my son's first birthday I baked and decorated a
cake myself. Cheaper that way, and it's not difficult to do if you get the
mix. It was just family, a couple presents, I had to open them because he
wasn't interested. Don't be surprised if he gets cake everywhere. In fact
encourage it. The best pictures my son LOVES to see of himself at a young
age (he's 12 now) are the ones of his birthday, with cake all over himself.
And of his 2nd Christmas (he was only 3 days old on his first one, and we
were still in hospital) when he was sitting on his rocking horse. Those are
memories he doesn't have, but likes to hear from me. It won't matter what
you do, as long as you can tell him about it later.

Betsy
--
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with
ketchup.

Old June 28th 03, 03:49 AM
CME

"me" wrote in message
[...]

Hon, he's only 1 and he's not going to care as long as he gets cake. lol I
think what you have planned is great. By the way, welcome to the group.

Christine
(Mom of 7 year old twin boys)

Old June 30th 03, 01:24 PM
me

Default Advice please son's 1st birthday :) All

LoL, you guys are awesome and the friggin sweetest group of people
I've ever met! Damn all of you! Why can't you guys live in the Bronx?
There are barely any good people left here ( not that you guys would
want to live here, LoL )Anyhow I really appreciate all of your advice
and support(btw I'm gonna take it and just stick to the simple thing
and let him dress himself in cake LoL), I'm gonna stick around here
because I can not only give but I can use some support because as much
as I love my son, single parenting can be hard as hell Anyhow I'll
be back to let you guys know how it meant, I wish I could give you all
back a personal thank you but I'm at work and my time on here is very
limited, but thanks again kiss your children from me

Love,
Marcia
Old June 30th 03, 02:12 PM
turtledove

"me" wrote in message
LoL, you guys are awesome and the friggin sweetest group of people
I've ever met! Damn all of you! Why can't you guys live in the Bronx?
There are barely any good people left here ( not that you guys would
want to live here, LoL )Anyhow I really appreciate all of your advice
and support(btw I'm gonna take it and just stick to the simple thing
and let him dress himself in cake LoL), I'm gonna stick around here
because I can not only give but I can use some support because as much
as I love my son, single parenting can be hard as hell Anyhow I'll
be back to let you guys know how it meant, I wish I could give you all
back a personal thank you but I'm at work and my time on here is very
limited, but thanks again kiss your children from me

Love,
Marcia

Welcome to the group Marcia! We are a loveable bunch of folks, though we
can be harsh at times. Take everything we say with a grain of salt. But
just know we love our kids!!!

have a great time at your son's 1st Birthday! Fill us in on the details
when you get the chance!!

hugs,
*bri