reading lists

Old June 6th 07, 12:49 AM posted to misc.kids,misc.education
Chookie

Default reading lists

In article .com,
Beliavsky wrote:

Can anyone recommend a set of reading lists arranged by difficulty
(grade level). Googling lead me to
http://www.hplibrary.org/kids/bookli...evellists.html
which seems ok.

Speak to the Children's Services Librarian at your library.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old June 6th 07, 01:15 AM posted to misc.kids
Cathy Kearns

"Jeff" wrote in message
bizby40 wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message
bizby40 wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

So you have to take the grade levels with a grain of salt, too.
But assuming that these were American grade levels, "Harry Potter and
the Philsopher's Stone" might well be considered to be a slightly
higher grade level book because it has more unfamiliar words.

That would be like 1 in 10,000 words changed, all from philosopher's to
socerer's or the other way around. So I don't think so. I don't remember
which book had the higher level. It was off by about 1/2 a grade or so,
too much for one word change to explain it, but not all that much.

But I thought in a thread on here a while back, people were discussing
the other changes -- sweater for jumper and so on. Someone even posted a
list of all the changes, right? So it wouldn't be just one word, it
would several places in the book where an American child was encountering
words they don't come across normally.

I found the list (the URL is elsewhere in the thread). There were about 75
words that were changed. According to the publisher, there were about
75,000 words in the first Harry Potter. So that is one word or phrase in
one thousand (plus they also took out the sort of Dean Thomas in the
English edition).

American kids learning 75 new words or phrases? Excellent. Plus, it also
gives a British air to the book.

The author said she regretted allowing the name change. JKR owns the
copyright, so I guess she could tell Scholastic that they have to change
the title back to the original (there's probably contracts involved - it
would also be complicated with the movies, too). That would increase the
value of my copy and all the copies with the old title. Hey, it might even
be worth $10.

My youngest is a big fan of the books, and insists on getting them the day
they come out. Since we tend to travel in the summer, sometimes that can be
a challenge. A few years back, (the book before the last one) we were in
Sorrento when they came out. The books available in English were, of
course, the British version. My daughter thought it was very cool to
compare her book to that of her friends when we got home a few weeks later.
She found there was the occasional descriptive passage that was tersely
translated in the American version. Enough that her book was 10 or so pages
longer than the American version. Which suited her, as they were counting
up pages for summer reading, and it gave her an edge.

Old June 8th 07, 03:19 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education
harmony

On Jun 4, 9:57 am, Beliavsky wrote:
Can anyone recommend a set of reading lists arranged by difficulty
(grade level). Googling lead me tohttp://www.hplibrary.org/kids/booklists/gradelevel/gradelevellists.html
which seems ok.

if you have a waldon's book store near you, they have childrens books
arranged in grade leave and age appropriate levels. and thye have tons
of books for all ages. and if you dont you you could always try
amazon.com. i can always find something there.

wait lists for preschools? L. General 24 June 25th 06 02:01 PM
Bulk Email Lists Jack Brown Child Support 0 November 29th 04 06:41 PM
The due dates lists Sarah Vaughan Pregnancy 5 October 25th 04 04:00 PM