Colds, pregnancy and toddlers.

Old August 4th 04, 02:37 AM
Cathy

Default Colds, pregnancy and toddlers.

DD (19 months) has a stinking cold, with a blocked nose, cough, and really
watery eyes. So I know what I am in for soon (oh joy). Can anyone tell me
if Vicks Vapourub (rubbed on the chest) is safe to use? The ingredients
listed are menthol, camphor, eucalyptus oil, turpentine oil, cedar leaf oil,
nutmeg oil and thymol in a petrolatum base. I find it helps with clearing
the nose, but won't use it if it is not safe. And on a related note, would
it be safe for DD? I wouldn't use it on her skin, just put a dab on a hanky
and put it under the bottom sheet on her cot. I had to get up to her 5 times
last night, as she tries to breathe through her nose, and wakes herself up
in fright.

Ta,
Cathy
DD 8 Jan 03
EDD 8 Dec 04

Old August 4th 04, 09:59 AM
Jenrose

"Cathy" wrote in message
DD (19 months) has a stinking cold, with a blocked nose, cough, and really
watery eyes. So I know what I am in for soon (oh joy). Can anyone tell

me
if Vicks Vapourub (rubbed on the chest) is safe to use? The ingredients
listed are menthol, camphor, eucalyptus oil, turpentine oil, cedar leaf

oil,
nutmeg oil and thymol in a petrolatum base. I find it helps with clearing
the nose, but won't use it if it is not safe. And on a related note,

would
it be safe for DD? I wouldn't use it on her skin, just put a dab on a

hanky
and put it under the bottom sheet on her cot. I had to get up to her 5

times
last night, as she tries to breathe through her nose, and wakes herself up
in fright.

If it's not against her skin, I wouldn't worry.

I react to everything... Vicks applied to my chest gave me a combination
allergy rash/chemical burn--NASTY. It was an expired bottle. Turns out that
my sensitivity to Christmas trees extends to turpentine, ceder oil and
eucalyptus.

Jenrose

Old August 4th 04, 12:58 PM
Shelley

I use a vaporizor with a little bit of liquid vicks at night for DS
when he has a cold. We also have a cool mist humidifier that works
well. I like the vaporizor for DS as it is much quieter than the cool
mist humidifier. You just have to be careful as it can get hot. DS
is in a crib so he cannot get to it. This is not a direct answer to
your question about vicks vapourub but I hope it helps.

Shelley
mom to Jacob (2.5)
edd march 30/05

Old August 4th 04, 01:01 PM
Shelley

Oh yeah, I don't know if the vapourub would be good or not for a
pregnant you but that may be where the cool mist humidifier comes in
handy. No medicine needed for that.

Shelley
mom to Jacob (2.5)
edd march 30/05

Old August 4th 04, 03:36 PM
HOWA476

I used vicks vapor rub when I was pregnant with DD. I had no problems.

Jennifer
Ariana 8/17/03

Old August 4th 04, 04:21 PM
Nikki

Cathy wrote:

And on a related note, would it be safe for DD? I
wouldn't use it on her skin, just put a dab on a hanky and put it
under the bottom sheet on her cot. I had to get up to her 5 times
last night, as she tries to breathe through her nose, and wakes
herself up in fright.

I don't know about you. I can't see what it would hurt. About your dd
though. Johnson and Johnson make a baby vapo bath, and a baby vapo rub.
The hot bath really cleaned out their nose and the mild rub helped them
breath at night. Worked great for mine. They wouldn't go near dh with the
stronger adult stuff on so I don't know how well they'd tolerate the strong
adult strength stuff even if it wasn't on them directly.
--
Nikki

Old August 4th 04, 10:19 PM
Cathy

Nikki wrote:
Cathy wrote:

And on a related note, would it be safe for DD? I
wouldn't use it on her skin, just put a dab on a hanky and put it
under the bottom sheet on her cot. I had to get up to her 5 times
last night, as she tries to breathe through her nose, and wakes
herself up in fright.

I don't know about you. I can't see what it would hurt. About your
dd though. Johnson and Johnson make a baby vapo bath, and a baby
vapo rub. The hot bath really cleaned out their nose and the mild rub
helped them breath at night. Worked great for mine. They wouldn't
go near dh with the stronger adult stuff on so I don't know how well
they'd tolerate the strong adult strength stuff even if it wasn't on
them directly.

We're skint at the moment, so I'm trying to use things I already have on
hand! I'll have to look at that stuff though - good for the next one.

Cathy

Old August 4th 04, 10:20 PM
Cathy

Thanks for everyones replies. I used it last night under her sheet, and she
only woke up once. And I have my fingers crossed that I won't need it.

Cathy