Induction questions

Old May 5th 04, 04:57 PM
Fer

Default Induction questions

Nan wrote:
|| On Mon, 03 May 2004 20:16:05 GMT, "Fer" wrote:
||| After talking to my OB today it got me to thinking about the
||| methods of induction. They offer Cervidil or AROM or AROM w/
||| pitocin. Does anyone what to share with my their experiences with
||| those methods or others?
||| TIA!
|| I had PROM, with 2 days of sporadic contractions. I was given a
|| "gentle induction" with PIT, as I was attempting a VBAC.
|| My dd never descended and I never dilated beyond 2-3 cm, so I was
|| given a repeat c-section.
|| Nan

I am worried about having a c-sec, it is something I really want to avoid
unless the baby or I are in distress. I don't know why but I am convinced
that I would NOT be a 'jump up after 24hours' kind of person. Thanks Nan

--?

Jenn
-WAHM
-DS Feb'92
-DD Feb'97
-Jellyfish due June 25/04

Old May 5th 04, 06:55 PM
Circe

Fer wrote:
Nikki wrote:
I was induced by first placing a pill (I'm sorry I don't remember
the name of the med) on my cervix to get me to dilate to 5cm.
They had to place that med 2-3 times. Then AROM at 5cm. I was
post dates and it was my second pregnancy. It went off with out
hitch.

That doesn't sound too bad. Thanks Nikki!

Just chiming in late here--I was induced with my third due to high BP (no
pre-eclampsia, but everyone was getting antsy about my BP and *I* was
getting tired of the bi-weekly monitoring and having nurses flip out every
time they took my pressure!) by simple AROM at 40w2d. When I arrive at the
hospital, the midwife found I was already at 4-5 cm (I'd been 2-3 cm at the
previous appointment). After a half an hour on the monitor getting a strip
on the baby, she broke my water and found I was up to 5-6cm at that point.
Within 5 minutes of AROM, I was having "real" contractions and I was holding
my son about 3h45m after that! So I'm all for trying AROM alone if your
cervix is soft and somewhat dilated and baby is in a good position (i.e., no
risk of prolapse).
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."

Old May 5th 04, 07:35 PM
Larry McMahan

Fer writes:
: After talking to my OB today it got me to thinking about the methods of
: induction. They offer Cervidil or AROM or AROM w/ pitocin. Does anyone
: what to share with my their experiences with those methods or others?

Lets see. You are the one who is being induced becaused of
pre-eclampsia, right. At least this is the best reason for
induction when it has to be done. I take it you are spilling
protein in your urine. Do you know how much you are spilling
at this point? And you are a multi, right? Were your first
births normal vagina, induced, or what?

If you are a multi with a history of normal vaginal births,
then you will probably be a good candidate for induction
anyway. Assuming you are ripe enough at the time, then AROM
with pit if necessary should work.

Good luck,
Larry
Old May 5th 04, 08:12 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Default Ericka the FOAK :) Induction questions

Fer wrote:

I am hoping that AROM will be a good option for me but of course I still
have a few weeks to wonder. I am curious about another method, which I will
speak to my MW about, what about black&blue cohosh? Do you have any info on
whether or not they elevate BP? --?

I don't know very much about them. I have heard
that blood pressure should be monitored when blue cohosh
is used, and I've heard that black cohosh may lower
blood pressure. I have heard that one of them is good
for pre-eclampsia. I wouldn't take my word for it, though--
I'd look for an experienced herbalist.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 5th 04, 10:38 PM
Angela Schepers

What is AROM and PROM?

Old May 5th 04, 11:20 PM
Fer

Angela Schepers wrote:
|| What is AROM and PROM?

AROM - Artificial Rupture of Membranes
PROM - Premature Rupture of Membranes

HTH

Jenn
-WAHM
-DS Feb'92
-DD Feb'97
-Jellyfish due June 25/04

Old May 6th 04, 10:55 AM
Anne Rogers

AROM = Artificial Rupture of Membranes
PROM = Premature Rupture of Membranes

I had both, definitely PROM as fluid had been seen, and was continueing to
drain, there was protein in my urine sample, which could only have come
from amniotic fluid. I was just over 37 weeks, there was quite a debate as
to whether something to ripen my cervix was a good idea, I was already
contracting frequently but ineffectively, my cervix was soft and thin, but
less than 1cm dilated. I was given one dose of prostin gel, the
contractions were a little stronger and I got to 2cm in 6 hours,
examination then confirmed there was still an intact membrane, I refused
to allow this to be ruptured until pitocin had been started, I doubted
whether it would trigger strong enough contractions, been as some fluid
loss and prostin gel hadn't and I didn't want to start the 24hours til the
baby must be out clock ticking. So we started pitocin and did AROM,
conractions started immediately, there were a few niggles along the way
but baby was delivered 5 hours later.

AROM and pitocin is only possible if there is some dilation to allow
AROM, depending on how you reacted to the cervadil if AROM wasn't
initially possible, I would push for pitocin as well if it were me,