6 yr old boy touching self

Old June 14th 04, 12:21 PM
S.S.

Default 6 yr old boy touching self

My 6.5 year old son has developed a habit of touching his penis area
through his pants or PJs. We've tried to explain to him that its not
polite behaviour and should be done in private. I'm concerned that he
is having a hard time breaking this habit and will be ridiculed at
school and in any case is indeed not polite... I've gotten him new
underware and talked to him about this but to no avail.

When asked he says it itches or just that he needs to. I have no
reason to believe he has a urinary tract infection or any other
medical problem.

Any ideas on how to get him to stop this habit ?

Thanks!

Old June 14th 04, 01:59 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

First, it MAY itch. Bathe him carefully and make SURE his crotch is
completely dry before putting on underpants. If he still wets at night,
have him rinse off in the morning (again, drying thoroughly before
dressing).

THen just give him something else to do with his hands. Teach him to
twiddle his finger, for example, or thumb wrestle with him. My
experience has been that a child who develops one such habit will be
able to break it, but will soon develop another. (We have one child now
who's hand is always in his hair ...) So redirect the hands to an
acceptable habit and let him keep that one for good.

Just my thoughts,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

Old July 14th 04, 08:33 PM
family_rights_wv

(S.S.) wrote in message . com...
My 6.5 year old son has developed a habit of touching his penis area
through his pants or PJs. We've tried to explain to him that its not
polite behaviour and should be done in private. I'm concerned that he
is having a hard time breaking this habit and will be ridiculed at
school and in any case is indeed not polite... I've gotten him new
underware and talked to him about this but to no avail.

When asked he says it itches or just that he needs to. I have no
reason to believe he has a urinary tract infection or any other
medical problem.

Any ideas on how to get him to stop this habit ?

Thanks!

I agree with the other posts regarding bathing and having the child
checked by a doctor for jock itch or infection if it continues. An
uncircumsized boy has to pay careful attention to hygiene, so if he's
uncircumsized instruct him on how to clean himself properly and/or
remind him to do so.

Other things to also consider, new hair growth sometimes causes
itching. If he's wearing underwear of a combination of
polyester/cotten, try 100% cotten. If he's wearing underwear with
patterns/colors, try plain white.

Also, sensitivities/allegeries can develop over time. There might be
a sensitivity or allergy to chemicals/dyes in materials of
underwear/clothing, or the detergent used to launder clothes, or to
various things added to the laundry, such as softeners, things to
eliminate wrinkles,etc. or a sensitivity/allergy may be developing
toward soaps/shampoos etc used in bathing. When checking for
sensitivities/allergies, try eliminating one thing at a time to locate
the thing that's causing the problem.

christi
http://www.geocities.com/family_righ...l_inquiry.html

Old August 9th 04, 02:36 AM
dragonlady

In article ,
(Jennifer) wrote:

(S.S.) wrote in message
. com...
My 6.5 year old son has developed a habit of touching his penis area
through his pants or PJs.

My friend's nearly five year old habitually has one thumb in his mouth
and the other hand down his trousers. Sometimes when he's tired, or
watching TV, or feeling slightly insecure, or thinking hard about
something. So, very often. It's a long seated habit, not a sudden
itch. His mum spoke to me today about it, she is starting to feel she
should put a stop to it, and her husband feels very strongly that they
should and is getting confrontational with the boy. The nearly two
year old brother has started to notice and find it fascinating.

I like the suggestion of finding an alternative habit to distract him,
though since he already thumb-sucks I'm not sure if that will help.
Are there any other pointers as to how to tackle it?

cheers

Jennifer

With my brother, my mother would hand him things that took two hands to
do, until he was a little older (this started about the time he could
walk). As he got older, she taught him that touching your own genitals
was a private activity -- not something other people wanted to watch.
There was no need for confrontation or fighting -- when he was old
enough to understand, she'd just gently remind him that if he needed to
touch himself, he needed to go to his bedroom. He was fine with that.

(Of course, as I think I've mentioned before, when he was around 2, she
taught him to respond to anyone asking him WHAT HE WAS DOING with, "I'm
masturbating." Managed to get some astonishing responses from some
rather prune-faced types . . .)

6 yr old boy touching self S.S. General 17 June 18th 04 02:22 PM
Paddling in schools?! Sophie General 19 January 30th 04 08:23 PM
touching "down there" Marie General 5 January 18th 04 04:24 PM
Review: Touching the Void (*** 1/2) Steve Rhodes General 0 January 18th 04 01:27 AM
Molestation: Fondling Geoghan sent to jail for [email protected] General 17 September 3rd 03 01:54 PM