"Love and Logic"?

Old May 21st 04, 03:49 PM
beeswing

Default "Love and Logic"?

On a list I'm on, folks are discussing the book "Love and Logic." I've never
heard of it, but I'm gathering that there is some controversy regarding it. I'm
not looking for a review, really, just for information: I'd like to know what
general principles the book espouses, as much out of curiousity as anything
else. A quick look at Amazon suggests that part of the book's philosophy
revolves around "natural consequences" and that at some point in the book's
publishing history, at least, use of corporal punishment was not ruled out --
but that's all I've been able to gather.

Thanks for any information.

beeswing

Old May 21st 04, 09:44 PM
Donna Metler

"beeswing" wrote in message
On a list I'm on, folks are discussing the book "Love and Logic." I've

never
heard of it, but I'm gathering that there is some controversy regarding

it. I'm
not looking for a review, really, just for information: I'd like to know

what
general principles the book espouses, as much out of curiousity as

anything
else. A quick look at Amazon suggests that part of the book's philosophy
revolves around "natural consequences" and that at some point in the

book's
publishing history, at least, use of corporal punishment was not ruled

out --
but that's all I've been able to gather.

Thanks for any information.

beeswing

I've read Teaching With Love and Logic, and use parts of it. The focus is on
the child taking responsibility for his/her own behavior and seeing where it
leads. A lot of dialoging.

The biggest problem with it is that it assumes children are logical. And
they aren't. For some problems, it works well-when the child is old enough
to delay consequences, think about the situation, and come up with a plan of
action. It works better when the child didn't deliberately try to misbehave,
and just messed up.

Overall, as a teacher, I prefer 123 Magic.