Cough and throat issues

Old November 30th 07, 01:23 AM posted to misc.kids
Mommy Mommy

Default Cough and throat issues

It has been 2 weeks that my 3 year old daughter first got cold. It was
just cough - the hoarse barky kind but no running nose. Even now she
is having the same cough an kind of wheezing stuuffy nose. Visited her
doc two times..doc said no medications just Mucinex..but daughter
doesn't like mucinex and will throw up immediately after taking
mucinex.
Tried saline drops - doesn't help much - the cough stays around her
throat and sits out there. Any suggestion what can help her recover
from the cough?Have been trying warm baths oo. We adults can take out
the phlegm when it comes to mouth but she can't do that.
Thanks in advance.
Old November 30th 07, 01:30 AM posted to misc.kids
toypup

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:23:18 -0800 (PST), Mommy Mommy wrote:

It has been 2 weeks that my 3 year old daughter first got cold. It was
just cough - the hoarse barky kind but no running nose. Even now she
is having the same cough an kind of wheezing stuuffy nose. Visited her
doc two times..doc said no medications just Mucinex..but daughter
doesn't like mucinex and will throw up immediately after taking
mucinex.

Does she like Robitussin better?
Old November 30th 07, 02:23 AM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Mommy Mommy wrote:
It has been 2 weeks that my 3 year old daughter first got cold. It was
just cough - the hoarse barky kind but no running nose. Even now she
is having the same cough an kind of wheezing stuuffy nose. Visited her
doc two times..doc said no medications just Mucinex..but daughter
doesn't like mucinex and will throw up immediately after taking
mucinex.
Tried saline drops - doesn't help much - the cough stays around her
throat and sits out there. Any suggestion what can help her recover
from the cough?Have been trying warm baths oo. We adults can take out
the phlegm when it comes to mouth but she can't do that.
Thanks in advance.

Is it *really* the barky cough? The one that sounds
like a seal? If she has croup, lots of doctors are now using
a short course of steroids to clear it up.
If it's an unproductive cough, we've had good luck
with Delsym.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old November 30th 07, 03:24 AM posted to misc.kids
toypup

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:23:02 -0500, Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Mommy Mommy wrote:
[...]

That stuff is amazing. Works on me as soon as it hits my throat. Very
soothing and lasts all day.
Old November 30th 07, 07:04 AM posted to misc.kids
Akuvikate

On Nov 29, 6:23 pm, Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Mommy Mommy wrote:
[...]

The seal-like barky cough for croup can be treated with steroids if
it's real bad, but I doubt many doctors would ues them if it's been
two weeks. True croup mostly peters out after 3 days, though you can
be stuck with a residual cough longer. She probably is coughing up
her mucous, but at that age they swallow it immediately so you just
don't see it.

I know a lot of people swear by Delsym, and who knows, maybe it'll
show efficacy once it's studied and end up back on the market for
little kids. At the moment it's not recommended for children under 6
years old. It's frustrating for a lot of parents right now, because
there's just not much recommended to give little kids for cough and
cold symptoms beyond grandma's chicken soup.

If there's much family history of asthma, allergies, or eczema, or if
she has a history of any of those things, you could always ask the
doctor about trying an albuterol inhaler (asthma medicine) with a
mask. At two weeks out she's probably just stuck with a residual
cough from her virus. But some kids with mild asthma are generally
fine, except when they get a cold they're stuck with a long, bad
cough. If it lasts another week or two then the albuterol would
definitely be worth a try. Doctors vary in how quickly they'll
prescribe a trial of it -- I tend to be pretty liberal with the stuff
because it can have a slight benefit even for people without asthma
and has little in the way of bad side effects.

Kate, ignorant foot soldier of the medical cartel
and the Bug, 4 years old
and something brewing, 4/08
Old November 30th 07, 11:15 AM posted to misc.kids
Welches

Mommy Mommy wrote:
[...]

I'll second the inhaler. I've been prescribed one for all 3 of mine at
sometime. Even #1 who only used it once was so much better once she'd had a
couple of days of ventolin and whatever the brown one is called.
#2 is exactly as you describe the mild asthma. She's just started using it
for the first time for about 6 months and it usually takes two nights to
show complete improvement.
I'm giving it (ventolin) to #3 at present as he has a cold, and it helps his
breathing just before he goes to sleep too.
I've not used cough medicine since #1 was 6 months and I tried one and then
read the number of artificial colours and flavours and decided that she was
better with the cough.
Debbie

Old November 30th 07, 02:45 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Mommy Mommy wrote:
[...]

Actually, it seems like many are using it even if it's
*not* downright horrible. Last time my son had it, he wasn't
beyond misery, but they gave him a 3-day course of steroids and
he recovered much more quickly. Well, it still took him some
time to get totally well, but he didn't have that terribly
enervating cough for so long, so he was back on his feet earlier.
I was skeptical about taking him in, since in the past they've
never done anything for my kids for croup, but it was a busy
time for him so I took him in right away (as soon as he turned
up with the bark) and they popped right out with the steroids.
By far a better experience and recovery than the other times
my kids have had it.

but I doubt many doctors would ues them if it's been
two weeks. True croup mostly peters out after 3 days, though you can
be stuck with a residual cough longer. She probably is coughing up
her mucous, but at that age they swallow it immediately so you just
don't see it.

Right, could well be, but usually that isn't the really
barky cough that croup has. That's why I was asking if it was
really that barky cough. If somehow *that* was continuing on
for so long I'd be worried since, as you say, it typically
doesn't last that long.

I know a lot of people swear by Delsym, and who knows, maybe it'll
show efficacy once it's studied and end up back on the market for
little kids. At the moment it's not recommended for children under 6
years old. It's frustrating for a lot of parents right now, because
there's just not much recommended to give little kids for cough and
cold symptoms beyond grandma's chicken soup.

To be perfectly honest, while we never had much luck
with other cough and cold medicines, Delsym has always worked
a treat, especially to get through the night with an unproductive
cough, so I'll be roundly ignoring the recommendations on that
one unless they show a safety issue rather than a potential
lack of efficacy ;-) There's just no doubt in my mind. Whenever
my kids have had that nasty unproductive cough that has them
up and down all night, one dose of Delsym and they through the
night.

If there's much family history of asthma, allergies, or eczema, or if
she has a history of any of those things, you could always ask the
doctor about trying an albuterol inhaler (asthma medicine) with a
mask.

We definitely do this with the two out of three of
our kids with related issues. That also helps keep things
from getting out of control. We're at the point where we
rarely have to use any asthma meds *except* a little albuterol
for a cold.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old November 30th 07, 04:22 PM posted to misc.kids
cjra

Mommy Mommy wrote:
[...]

DD just had croup last week. It was awful for 3 days, got to where
she'd start crying before she coughed because she anticipated the
pain. Doctor just recommended lots of steam, tylenol to bring the
fever down (low grade at 101.6). By the 2nd night when she would wake
every 30 mins coughing, I decided to give her plain robitussin (my MD
sister recommended it, but I didn't check with the pedi). Worked
wonders - while it didn't cure her, it calmed the cough enough that
she wasn't in constant pain and could get more than 30 mins of sleep
at a time. She wouldn't eat or drink anything so nursing round the
clock also helped.

12 days later she still has a cough, but it's mild. I worried at
about 7 days there might be an ear infection given some of the signs,
but we waited it out and looks to be ok now.
Old November 30th 07, 06:54 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Mommy Mommy wrote:
[...]

I don't know what ages they'd prescribe the steroids for
croup (my son who just got them is 10 years old), but I'll tell
you I am a big fan. Within 24 hours, his coughing was dramatically
better and he was right as rain a couple days later with no
lingering cough. That beats the pants off our earlier experiences
with croup where it lingered and lingered.

Best wishes,
Ericka

maybe OT? Throat lucy-h Pregnancy 0 May 29th 06 10:35 PM
Deep Throat is ... Roger Solutions 0 June 1st 05 10:54 PM
We've caught a bug. Cough-cough! Carol Ann Pregnancy 7 December 1st 04 05:37 PM
Dry/Sore throat Humber Consumer General 0 September 24th 04 12:18 AM
Strep throat, Dr says not to bf... Jodie Breastfeeding 17 December 29th 03 09:52 AM