Breastfeeders who pump and give a bottle when out?

Old September 3rd 06, 11:03 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mary W.

Default Breastfeeders who pump and give a bottle when out?

cjra wrote:
Is there anyone here who does this?

I just wonder how common it is. On another board, someone had suggested
to avoid offending people by NIP, they pump and give a bottle when
they're out. Of course I said this was ludicrous, heck, one of the joys
of BF is that my boobs are portable and always ready! But I was shocked
by the number of people who said this is what they do.

I tried to do it with DD1, primarily because she *would* *not*
nurse if there were any distractions. And, once we figured
out how to nurse lying down, that is the only way she would
feed. I swear, she's still that stubborn, at 5 years old.

So, when I knew we'd be away from home a long time-
like when we were travelling across country, I brought
a couple of bottles. She barely took them (and I ended
up pumping with my isis under a blanket on the plane),
but it was better than trying to get her to latch on when
she didn't want to.

DD2 was much more agreeable, so with her I NIP'd.

Mary W.

Old September 4th 06, 01:29 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

In article ,
"lucy-lu" wrote:

I do, but only in certain situations. I go to church every Sunday, and I
don't feel comfortable breastfeeding her there.

snip
As for offending people, I can understand that too - yeah, boobs are
convenient, and I'm all in favour of being able to NIP, *but* I also realise
there are a few situations, like me at church, where I don't feel it
appropriate. There are a lot of elderly people there, and I respect that
they were brought up at a time where NIP wasn't done, and so they don't like
it. That's fair enough, and I don't want them and me to feel uncomfy -
therefore I express just before I go, meaning my boobs don't feel overfull.

Do you know for sure that they will even notice you are doing it? I feed DS2
(and fed DS1) every week in church for years. Once the baby is latched on,
nobody can tell whether you're nursing him in the Aussie sense or the US
sense! In pews, it's pretty hard to watch other people anyway.

I've mentioned here before an experience when DS1 was a small baby. I went to
a family reunion with some distant relatives of DH. One older gentleman sat
next to me, and DS1 wanted a feed at the table. The gentleman didn't see me
latch on, and a few minutes later looked at DS1, commenting about him going to
sleep. He was a bit embarrassed when I explained that DS1 was having lunch
too!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old September 4th 06, 03:01 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Mary W. wrote:
cjra wrote:
Is there anyone here who does this?

I just wonder how common it is. On another board, someone had suggested
to avoid offending people by NIP, they pump and give a bottle when
they're out. Of course I said this was ludicrous, heck, one of the joys
of BF is that my boobs are portable and always ready! But I was shocked
by the number of people who said this is what they do.

I tried to do it with DD1, primarily because she *would* *not*
nurse if there were any distractions. And, once we figured
out how to nurse lying down, that is the only way she would
feed. I swear, she's still that stubborn, at 5 years old.

Oh man, I am worried about that right now! DD has been fussy all day
and the only way she'd nurse was lying down and I panicked that she'd
only do that....but last night she did nurse sitting down, and I
finally got her to do so tonight. We're flying on Thursday to
Switzerland (from texas) and that would be a nightmare.

So, when I knew we'd be away from home a long time-
like when we were travelling across country, I brought
a couple of bottles. She barely took them (and I ended
up pumping with my isis under a blanket on the plane),
but it was better than trying to get her to latch on when
she didn't want to.

Ok, I think I'm packing some bottles and a syringe. We still can't get
her to take the bottles, but we might have to try. If all else fails
she will take the syringe feeding. Let's hope security doesn't take
that away.

Old September 4th 06, 03:10 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

lucy-lu wrote:
But to me, expressing to go out is ok. A lot of people aren't comfortable
NIP, and I can understand that - BFing should never be uncomfortable
emotionally,and if it is, find an alternative.

Oh, I probably used a poor choice of words. It seemed silly to me to
suggest one *should* do it to appease others, since it's basically
taking away all the convenience of BF. But honestly if one *chooses* to
do so because it makes them happy, that's great. Does that make sense?
I was just surprised that so many make that choice, not that it's a bad
choice.

Also, when you're in a mad
shopping.hurry, and trying to feed a newborn who fusses/messes about for
ages, it really isn't always practical (I know that might sound bad, but
let's face it, we all have those times when we wish they'd have just waited
an extra 10 minutes until we'd finished queueing in the supermarket!).When I
was first having BF issues, I expressed for the majority of feeds as it was
easier than struggling with a baby who didn't want to feed properly every
ten minutes, in public. I was embarrassed, stressed and uncomfortable. With
a 4oz bottle, I could do a quick dash round the supermarket etc, get her
home and try BFing again.

Ah yes, there are times when I wish she'd take a bottle so I could do
that, but I'm sure even if she did I'd never get around to preparing it
to bring along. I've learned to nurse in the sling, and so far that's
working, but we'll see as she gets older. She's already getting
distracted.

As for offending people, I can understand that too - yeah, boobs are
convenient, and I'm all in favour of being able to NIP, *but* I also realise
there are a few situations, like me at church, where I don't feel it
appropriate. There are a lot of elderly people there, and I respect that
they were brought up at a time where NIP wasn't done, and so they don't like
it. That's fair enough, and I don't want them and me to feel uncomfy -
therefore I express just before I go, meaning my boobs don't feel overfull.

Are you sure they care? I'm not trying to say you should feel
comfortable NIP there, just wondering how likely it is that 'elderly'
people are offended. I ask because my parents would be considered
elderly (70yo+), and they're the sort ot applaud it. Heck, when I was
first struggling to BF in the NICU, my dad was there cheering me on.
And, IME, most people of their generation (family and their friends)
are the same. I've found that those who tend to give funny looks and
are obviously uncomfortable are the younger crowd.

Old September 4th 06, 05:02 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
FlowerGirl

"cjra" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is there anyone here who does this?

I just wonder how common it is. On another board, someone had suggested
to avoid offending people by NIP, they pump and give a bottle when
they're out. Of course I said this was ludicrous, heck, one of the joys
of BF is that my boobs are portable and always ready! But I was shocked
by the number of people who said this is what they do.

I remember going in to a work function when H was about 6 mo and meeting up
with a lady I sued to work with and her 4mo. We both retired to the comfy
chairs in the foyer (it was too crowded in the function room and there were
no chairs) and I BF H while she FF her DS.
She said "gee I wish I was as coordinated as you. I only bf at home and ff
while we're out because its too hard".
I think I responded with "oh I find bf easier because I don't have to
remember to bring anything".
I guess she was doing what she found easiest but it really didn't make sense
to me.
All I can imagine is that she didn't feel comfortable with bf around the
big-wigs from work ... (not that it matters, but most of them seem to think
NIP is fine anyway).
Amanda

Old September 4th 06, 05:12 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
FlowerGirl

"FlowerGirl" wrote in message
I remember going in to a work function when H was about 6 mo and meeting

up
with a lady I sued to work with and her 4mo

Obviously that should read "used to work with"

Old September 4th 06, 06:18 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
emilymr

FlowerGirl wrote:
"FlowerGirl" wrote in message
I remember going in to a work function when H was about 6 mo and meeting

up
with a lady I sued to work with and her 4mo

Obviously that should read "used to work with"

haha I was wracking my brain trying to figure out what you were
saying!! A little tired and slow here...

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Old September 4th 06, 06:25 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
emilymr

Chookie wrote:
In article ,
"lucy-lu" wrote:

I do, but only in certain situations. I go to church every Sunday, and I
don't feel comfortable breastfeeding her there.

snip
Do you know for sure that they will even notice you are doing it? I feed DS2
(and fed DS1) every week in church for years. Once the baby is latched on,
nobody can tell whether you're nursing him in the Aussie sense or the US
sense! In pews, it's pretty hard to watch other people anyway.

Funnily (or not) enough, church was the *only* place I never felt
comfortable NingIP. It really bugged me that I felt this way -- I
couldn't tell if it was my own hangups, or a silent vibe I was getting
from other people, or what. Maybe because they had a specified nursing
room (and, to be honest, it *was* kind of fun hanging out with other
nursing moms; we'd gab away and never listen to the sermon). I'm sure
part of it was my sisters' horrified looks the one time I decided to
nurse Micah in the pews -- "You're not going to do *that* *HERE*, are
you??" and I jumped up and headed for the nursery. :P In any case,
for the next kiddo, I'm going to nurse in church. I mean, how much
more family-friendly a place should there be?

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Old September 4th 06, 10:23 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

"lucy-lu" I do, but only in certain situations. I go to church every
Sunday, and I
don't feel comfortable breastfeeding her there. ABout 45 mins into the
service, she kicks off for food, and I want to to be able to soothe her
quickly, and still be able to concentrate, so I express a bottle that has
too much in for her so that I don't run out. I don't mind dumping a
couple
of ounces if I do too much.

so how do you think Mary fed Jesus?

sorry, I think not feeding in church is intolerance from the congregation,
just like anyone else, if they have a problem with it, they should get over
it, and to be honest in a church, even more so, aren't they supposed to be
welcoming to all? Had it been a case of not breastfeeding in church, I would
rarely if ever go to church, it just happens that one of Ada's regularish
feeding times still falls within church time, she only took a bottle for a
week.

At the moment I'm on a drive to convert church mums to the possibility of
feeding past age 1, there is a very strong culture of breastfeeding to age
1, but many people do feed past that age, they just don't tell others about
it and feel if they do, they have to make an excuse, so it's boobs out for
me!

Anne

Old September 4th 06, 04:09 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Caledonia

Anne Rogers wrote:
"lucy-lu" I do, but only in certain situations. I go to church every
Sunday, and I
don't feel comfortable breastfeeding her there. ABout 45 mins into the
service, she kicks off for food, and I want to to be able to soothe her
quickly, and still be able to concentrate, so I express a bottle that has
too much in for her so that I don't run out. I don't mind dumping a
couple
of ounces if I do too much.

so how do you think Mary fed Jesus?

I'm sure that lucy-lu has already figured this out -- it seems like
you're sniping, and giving her a hard time for saying that she was
doing what she felt most comfortable with.

sorry, I think not feeding in church is intolerance from the congregation,
just like anyone else, if they have a problem with it, they should get over
it, and to be honest in a church, even more so, aren't they supposed to be
welcoming to all? Had it been a case of not breastfeeding in church, I would
rarely if ever go to church, it just happens that one of Ada's regularish
feeding times still falls within church time, she only took a bottle for a
week.

IME, there are many churches in the US which *aren't* welcoming to all.
It appears that you've made this decision to NIP at church to be worth
the time/effort on your part -- but realize that other folks might not
feel that 'getting comfortable themselves' (e.g., I had a hard time
with a let-down if *I* wasn't comfortable) is worth it, nor of being
the spokesperson in this venue for 'getting people over it.'

At the moment I'm on a drive to convert church mums to the possibility of
feeding past age 1, there is a very strong culture of breastfeeding to age
1, but many people do feed past that age, they just don't tell others about
it and feel if they do, they have to make an excuse, so it's boobs out for
me!

So it sounds like the church moms *do* nurse past the age of 1, but
that you're interested in getting them to NIP past the age of 1....I
think, for me, my interest is in getting people to breastfeed; whether
they feel comfortable NIPing is up to them.

Caledonia