Weaning - Need Advice

Old March 14th 04, 02:33 AM

Default Weaning - Need Advice

I'll be taking some medication in the next 4 weeks that they don't
recommend you use while breast feeding. This means DS (9months old)
needs to be weaned a lot sooner than planned :-( I've put off
taking the medication for 2months now.

What are the best ways of weaning? I've tried for the last two
weeks by putting him on formula during the day. He seems to be
fine with it and drinks a good bit of formula during the day but
then nurses even more at night to make up for it. Last night
he nursed for over an hour. I can't really blame him. So
far no fussing or crying over not getting the breast during
the day.

I still nurse him at nap time though which will be hard to deal
with.

Also, my doctor has said it's ok to give him whole/organic milk
at 9months. To be on the safe side I've been using formula (Enfamil).
What do you guys think is better? Formula...or organic whole milk?

Right now my plan is to stop nursing during the day. Then to stop
nursing during night feeds. Then to introduce a pacifier so he
can soothe himself on the paci during naps and night time.

Does this sound like a workable plan? Any input & feedback or anecodtal
stories are appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
Old March 14th 04, 02:50 AM
DeliciousTruffles

wrote:

[...]

Have you checked Dr. Hale's to see if your mediciation is truly
incompatible with breastfeeding?

http://neonatal.ama.ttuhsc.edu/cgi-b...s&access=guest

If so, I would definitely use formula. Whether whole milk is organic or
not isn't why it isn't recommended until one year of age. The reason
whole milk is not recommended is because the proteins in cow's milk are
difficult to digest. A baby consuming whole milk as a primary source of
nutrition runs the risk of intestinal damage.

To avoid engorgment I would either pump and dump to keep my supply up so
I could continue nursing (or feeding EBM) when the course of medication
is over. Or, I would substitute a feeding with formula every 3 to 4
days to give my body a chance to adjust.

I would also introduce snuggle time with DH instead of a pacifier. Or a
lovey of some sort.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=782084

~ Harriet Martineau

Old March 14th 04, 03:19 AM
Larry McMahan

Chris,

First, I second Brigitte's advice. If you have not checked with
Hale's to see if the medication you need to take is really contraindicated.
Often doctors give erroneous advice to wean over misguided caution.
If the medecine is L2, or even most L3's I would suggest seriously
reconsidering weaning.

You can also check on the Hale's website whether there are bf friendly
alternatives to the drug your doctor wants to prescribe. In most cases
when a doctor gives advice like this, there are alternatives that do
not require weaning. Be sure you check them out before making an
unalterable decision.

Good luck,
Larry

Old March 14th 04, 05:08 AM
Kereru

wrote in message
[...]

I'd go with formula until baby is one. Before then he is still getting the
majority of his nutrition from milk and unmodified cows milk isn't
reccomended as far as I know. Breastmilk or formula until the first birthday
is the usual advice.

Personally I have found pacifiers a Godsend.

Good Luck

Judy

Old March 14th 04, 05:21 AM
DeliciousTruffles

Kereru wrote:

Personally I have found pacifiers a Godsend.

It's getting them to stop that's the pain. That and trying to find a
lost one. :-D

Old March 14th 04, 05:27 AM
Kereru

"DeliciousTruffles" wrote in
message ...
Kereru wrote:

Personally I have found pacifiers a Godsend.

It's getting them to stop that's the pain. That and trying to find a
lost one. :-D

I was lucky there DS1 just stopped at six months. I spent about five minutes
in the dark looking for DS2's darn dummy the other morning in the dark only
to eventually find it in his hand. So I know where you are coming from!

Judy

Old March 14th 04, 10:03 AM
Chotii

"Kereru" wrote in message

wrote in message

Right now my plan is to stop nursing during the day. Then to stop
nursing during night feeds. Then to introduce a pacifier so he
can soothe himself on the paci during naps and night time.

Does this sound like a workable plan? Any input & feedback or anecodtal
stories are appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

I'd go with formula until baby is one. Before then he is still getting the
majority of his nutrition from milk and unmodified cows milk isn't
reccomended as far as I know. Breastmilk or formula until the first

birthday
is the usual advice.

Personally I have found pacifiers a Godsend.

But, some kids won't take 'em. My DD4, now 7 months old, has NEVER wanted a
pacifier. If she wouldn't take one as a newborn (and she never would), she
absolutely won't take one now. Oh, she'll *chew* on it, and turn it over in
her hand and study it from all angles, but forget sucking on it. No way. I
don't think most kids will go for a pacifier at 9 months if they've never
had one before. Maybe, if they're used to bottle-nipples, they might (this
one kid of mine has never had those either). So you can't count on the paci
for self-soothing until you see for a fact that the baby will accept it.

--angela

Old March 15th 04, 01:43 PM
Andrea

"Chotii" wrote in message
.. .

"Kereru" wrote in message

wrote in message

[...]

I taught Kamron to use his dummy, and now he loves it. He started being a
dummy sucker quite late. H e never took one as a newborn, but around 6
months he did after some coaxing.

Andrea mom of 5.

Old March 15th 04, 01:57 PM
Anne Rogers

I taught Kamron to use his dummy, and now he loves it. He started being a
dummy sucker quite late. H e never took one as a newborn, but around 6
months he did after some coaxing.

we've also recently reintroduced a dummy, ds had one from 1 month to
3monthsish, then we got rid of it when his weight gain slowed, we've
recently reintroduced it for use in the cot only, I give it to him when I
put him down at nap time or bed time, he usually holds it and looks at it,
but rarely puts it in his mouth, it seems to have achieved what the cot
toy or a soft toy didn't, which is mostly easy going off to sleep.
Old March 15th 04, 02:58 PM
Nikki

wrote:

What are the best ways of weaning? I've tried for the last two
weeks by putting him on formula during the day. He seems to be
fine with it and drinks a good bit of formula during the day but
then nurses even more at night to make up for it. Last night
he nursed for over an hour.

First off I think this is going to be hard :-( So I wish you luck.
Personally, I'd stick with the formula.

For the night feeds I'd try shortening each one by a few minutes every 3
nights if you have that much time. I guess if there isn't enough time to do
that you could do it each night. Unlatch him and then offer him a bottle to
finish up with. If someone besides you could take him and give the bottle
it might be easier. Once those feeds are down to only a few minutes just
stop doing it. When I night weaned I stopped all but 2-3 and then three
nights later I stopped those as well. He might want to add in nursing
sessions he'd never had before but I wouldn't allow that since your goal is
to completely wean.

I'd expect a fairly unhappy baby but if you are consistent then he should be
back to his bubbly self in a couple weeks I would hope, especially given his
age. Sometimes it is easier for the younger ones. I'd give him the paci
right away if he'll take it.

Like others have mentioned I'd double check with the Hales book to be really
sure you can't breastfeed while on the med.

Good luck

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Advice needed for new book on pregancy HeadMom Pregnancy 0 July 15th 04 08:32 PM
Tandem Weaning eggs Breastfeeding 8 March 12th 04 03:59 AM
not so good advice on a website elizabeth emerald Breastfeeding 11 March 8th 04 05:13 AM
milk supply, night weaning, pumping, and menstruation questions Cathy Weeks Breastfeeding 9 October 28th 03 08:12 PM
health visitors advice about 1st stage weaning teapot Breastfeeding 4 September 5th 03 03:20 AM