Weaning advice

Old November 14th 05, 01:27 PM
kazh

Default Weaning advice

Typical Emily menu -

Breakfast - Baby porridge with banana + 5oz bottle
Lunch - Chicken, Rice with veg + 5oz bottle
Tea - Fruit puree + 5oz bottle
Bedtime - 5oz bottle

She refuses any more food. and it takes me all my time to get her to eat ALL of the above.

BUT our health visitor weighed her and she's not gained ENOUGH weight........8ozs in 5 weeks............any tips or advice helpful.

Also suggestions for SNACKS she is ''supposed'' to have 3 meals plus 2 snacks, according to health visitor...........I give in !!

TIA
Karen
stressed-in-the-uk

Karen
DS 10th Aug 1986 - VB - 9lb 13oz
DD 13th Aug 1988 - VB - 10lb 9oz
DD 28th Apr 2005 - VB - 9lb 4oz
---------
Emily-Rose
updated 29/10
http://photobucket.com/albums/v356/k...e&inter val=3
Old November 14th 05, 01:38 PM
Welches

"kazh" wrote in message
Typical Emily menu -

Breakfast - Baby porridge with banana + 5oz bottle
Lunch - Chicken, Rice with veg + 5oz bottle
Tea - Fruit puree + 5oz bottle
Bedtime - 5oz bottle

She refuses any more food. and it takes me all my time to get her to eat ALL
of the above.

BUT our health visitor weighed her and she's not gained ENOUGH
weight........8ozs in 5 weeks............any tips or advice helpful.

Also suggestions for SNACKS she is ''supposed'' to have 3 meals plus 2
snacks, according to health visitor...........I give in !!

She's 7 months right?
#2 wasn't taking any solids at that stage. She'd open her mouth, but push it
all out again with her tongue.
Tell your HV that she has milk for snacks. Even now I don't think #2 (age 2)
reliably eats 3 meals plus 2 snacks. If she eats lunch she'll probably
refuse most dinner, if you discount milk then she rarely has more than one
snack.

Snacks I give: yoghurt, fruit (pureed or as finger food at that age) carrot
sticks, raisins, breadsticks (dipped in cheese spread as #2 loves dipping)
cheese, milkshakes...

Had she stayed on the same centile lines before the last 5 weeks? It may be
that she put on weight faster at the beginning and now has slowed down to
make up.
Debbie

Old November 14th 05, 01:49 PM
Sue

I don't know how you are feeding her, but are you letting her pick up her
food on her own? Putting more variety in her diet (with allergens in mind I
guess), letting her feed herself and having soft chunks of things may entice
her more.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old November 14th 05, 02:01 PM
Anne Rogers

I don't know how you are feeding her, but are you letting her pick up her
food on her own? Putting more variety in her diet (with allergens in mind
guess), letting her feed herself and having soft chunks of things may
entice
her more.

that was what I was thinking offer stuff like cheese, toast that kind of
thing, finger foods, also you say bottle at meal times, I've just been to
see a nursery nurse and we were talking about older children and milk, but I
guess the same applies, milk fills you up, so is she drinking the milk after
the solids or before? I've always got the impression that milk feeds should
be at a different time to solid feeds, but I could be confused.

Anne

Old November 14th 05, 02:05 PM
Anne Rogers

PS are you breastfeeding her as well? I thought you were, so I just checked
through your previous posts and you were when she had a cold last month, as
if you are also doing that, she may be eating more than you think that way.

Old November 14th 05, 02:12 PM
Ericka Kammerer

kazh wrote:
Typical Emily menu -

Breakfast - Baby porridge with banana + 5oz bottle
Lunch - Chicken, Rice with veg + 5oz bottle
Tea - Fruit puree + 5oz bottle
Bedtime - 5oz bottle

She refuses any more food. and it takes me all my time to get
her to eat ALL of the above.

How old is she?

BUT our health visitor weighed her and she's not gained
ENOUGH weight........8ozs in 5 weeks............any tips
or advice helpful.

I would separate the bottles from the meals.
Give her solids at her mealtimes, and give bottles at
different times.

Also suggestions for SNACKS she is ''supposed'' to have
3 meals plus 2 snacks, according to health visitor

Hmmm, that would really depend on her age.

Also, it's generally not all that useful
to just look at how much she's gained over one
relatively short timespan. What percentile is
she on the growth charts, and has she been holding
steady or is she dropping in terms of the percentiles?

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old November 14th 05, 02:18 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
kazh wrote:

Typical Emily menu -
Breakfast - Baby porridge with banana + 5oz bottle
Lunch - Chicken, Rice with veg + 5oz bottle
Tea - Fruit puree + 5oz bottle
Bedtime - 5oz bottle

She refuses any more food. and it takes me all my time to get her to
eat ALL of the above.

How old is she?

Whoops, I didn't see your .sig before. She's
not even 7 months old yet? If so, then your health
visitor is crazy if she's trying to up the solids.
Breastmilk or formula is more calorie dense than
solids. If you're loading her up with solids such
that she cuts back on her breastmilk or formula,
then ultimately she's getting fewer overall calories.
Many organizations recommend *NO* solids before
6 months, so she's eating rather a lot of solids
by that measure. Mine were voracious solids eaters,
so they were probably eating that much in the way
of solids at close to 7 months; however, they were
still nursing like gangbusters. If she's giving
up breastmilk or formula because of the solids
at this age, and she's not gaining well, I'd
cut back on the solids a bit. I wouldn't eliminate
them, but I'd cut back so she takes in more breastmilk
or formula.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old November 14th 05, 02:19 PM
kazh

Not breastfeeding now, she slowly got fed up and it became a fighting match every time so she's on formula now.