another question on hearing

Old May 26th 04, 01:55 AM

Default another question on hearing

Hi,

The other post on ear infections made we wonder about infant/toddler
hearing. My DD just turned 1yr old.

She only responds to loud sounds in quite rooms. I can play a Baby
Einstein video and mute it and she isn't phased. She just keeps
watching. She doesn't respond to music, or our voices at all.

Audio stimulation does nothing for her. She can point at things,
remembers people and she is very curious.

Is this common for a 1yr old?

She just tunes out all audio stimulation it seems and works off touch
and sight.

She doesn't have fluid build-up in her ears, no ear infections ever.

Is it worth seeing an audiologist?

-Sammy
Old May 26th 04, 02:54 AM
Nikki

wrote:

Is it worth seeing an audiologist?

Yes, if it were me, I'd get her evaluated.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (5) and Luke (3)

Old May 26th 04, 10:51 AM
CWatters

wrote in message

She only responds to loud sounds in quite rooms. I can play a Baby
Einstein video and mute it and she isn't phased. She just keeps
watching. She doesn't respond to music, or our voices at all.

Did they test her hearing when she was a few weeks old? Over here in Belgium
all babies are tested when very young. They have a portable machine that
makes noises in their ears (beeps and pips) and looks for changes in brain
wave activity. The machine works best when the baby is asleep!

Is it worth seeing an audiologist?

If you are worried yes.

PS Our boys are two years old - they don't always respond to voices when
watching TV either :-).

Old May 26th 04, 01:31 PM

In misc.kids CWatters wrote:

Did they test her hearing when she was a few weeks old? Over here in Belgium
all babies are tested when very young. They have a portable machine that
makes noises in their ears (beeps and pips) and looks for changes in brain

Not to my knowledge.

Is it worth seeing an audiologist?

If you are worried yes.
PS Our boys are two years old - they don't always respond to voices when
watching TV either :-).

This isn't with tv. She spoke two words (cat,dog)
and was able to point them out and recognize them properly when we were on walks.
She recognized them in books and called them out. She responded to her name and
then all of this slowly went away.

I took her into the doctor and the doctor said I was over reacting and that
babies at 10months don't speak anyway. He checked her ears for fluid and
said it probably wasn't there.

I have felt like an idiot for the last week thinking I'm over reacting but decided
to see an ENT doc to have her ears properly checked by an audiologist.

Old May 26th 04, 10:30 PM
CWatters

wrote in message

I have felt like an idiot for the last week thinking I'm over reacting
but decided to see an ENT doc to have her ears properly checked
by an audiologist.

Yes I think that's best. I mean it can't really hurt to get her checked out.
We had to take one of our boys to an ENT doc. He had three or four colds in
a row that caused ear infections. The doc gave him a good check and said he
might need to put in a drain or grommet in his ear if this keeps up - but
he's been fine ever since.

If you are worried about her development hang onto any video you have of her
taken when she was 10 months.

Colin

hearing problem (flud in ears?) for 1yr old [email protected] General 9 May 24th 04 09:29 PM
Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM