Pros and Cons of breastfeeding

Old May 24th 04, 04:11 AM
Nan

Default Pros and Cons of breastfeeding

On 24 May 2004 00:41:22 GMT, enigma wrote:

where did you get the expected price increase for dairy? as a
farmer i'd be interested in knowing.

We're currently seeing 3.49 a gallon for the store brand whole milk.
There are signs posted on the dairy cases stating in effect, the price
increases are due to the Mad Cow scare.
Not sure how much of that I believe, but if the farmers raise prices,
the stores have to, as well.
Can't comment on cheese, though.

if there were such an increase then it would cause the price
of formula to go up as well anyway.

Yep, it probably will, too.

Nan
Old May 24th 04, 04:26 AM
JennP

"enigma" wrote in message
.. .

where did you get the expected price increase for dairy? as a
farmer i'd be interested in knowing.
if there were such an increase then it would cause the price
of formula to go up as well anyway. grab a clue.
lee

Athough I agree that the posters info on breastfeeding is hogwash, FWIW, I
just paid over $4.00 for a gallon of 1% milk. Plain old grocery store brand
milk.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old May 24th 04, 04:27 AM
JennP

"Richard Ballard" wrote in message
You must ensure that your own diet is extra nutritious
and is high in calcium -- lots of dairy products.
Otherwise your breast milk will be weak.

Flat out, not true.

Milk prices are expected to reach $4US this summer,
with similar price increases in cheese and ice cream.
This projected dairy product price increase constitutes
a significant childraising cost increase that
breastfeeding does _not_ eliminate. Momma's gotta eat
or breastfeeding infant starves.

But momma does not *need* to drink milk. There are plenty of other
calcium-rich foods not to mention calcium supplements.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old May 24th 04, 01:40 PM
enigma

Nan wrote in
:

wrote:

where did you get the expected price increase for dairy?
as a
farmer i'd be interested in knowing.

We're currently seeing 3.49 a gallon for the store brand
whole milk. There are signs posted on the dairy cases
stating in effect, the price increases are due to the Mad
Cow scare. Not sure how much of that I believe, but if the
farmers raise prices, the stores have to, as well.

see, that's the point. the *farmers* aren't seeing that kind
of price increase... i doubt they're getting more than pennies
per pound more. it's the processers & resellers that are
getting more profit.
FWIW, i buy milk from a local farm that processes thier own
(i could even get home delivery!) & haven't seen any increase.
i still pay $1.25 for a half-gallon, plus a dollar bottle
deposit (glass bottles).

Can't comment on cheese, though.

well, if milk goes up, cheese & yogurt will probably follow.
even that plastic "cheese" like Kraft, which has very little
actual dairy products in it
one of this summers projects is learning cheesemaking.
lee off to find this week's Farmer's Market Report
Old May 24th 04, 01:48 PM
enigma

"JennP" wrote in

"enigma" wrote in message
.. .

where did you get the expected price increase for dairy?
as a
farmer i'd be interested in knowing.

Athough I agree that the posters info on breastfeeding is
hogwash, FWIW, I just paid over $4.00 for a gallon of 1%
milk. Plain old grocery store brand milk.

like i told Nan, don't blame the farmers for it!
actually, i can see several reasons why milk prices *are*
likely to rise, but it won't be an increase to benefit
farmers. the rising cost of fuel is likely to raise food
prices across the board. there is added cost to growing crops,
but the big increase will be from transporting food from
grower to processer to store... this increase will mainly
affect small farmers, since agribusiness farms are global &
will simply shift to where they can get cheaper labor (and use
cheaper chemicals, many of which are banned from use in the
US).
i'll shut up now before i get too annoyed
lee

Old May 24th 04, 06:16 PM
Nan

On 24 May 2004 12:40:36 GMT, enigma wrote:

Nan wrote in
:

wrote:

where did you get the expected price increase for dairy?
as a
farmer i'd be interested in knowing.

We're currently seeing 3.49 a gallon for the store brand
whole milk. There are signs posted on the dairy cases
stating in effect, the price increases are due to the Mad
Cow scare. Not sure how much of that I believe, but if the
farmers raise prices, the stores have to, as well.

see, that's the point. the *farmers* aren't seeing that kind
of price increase... i doubt they're getting more than pennies
per pound more. it's the processers & resellers that are
getting more profit.

You're probably right. The rising fuel costs will impact the
processors who transport from the farmers and to the stores.
Fwiw, dh says the "mad cow" excuse has been taken down and replaced
with a news article. He didn't read the whole thing, though.

Nan

Old May 24th 04, 08:34 PM
hpjeannie

"JennP" wrote in message news:nYdsc.104318$iF6.9611241@attbi_s02...
"Richard Ballard" wrote in message
You must ensure that your own diet is extra nutritious
and is high in calcium -- lots of dairy products.
Otherwise your breast milk will be weak.

Flat out, not true.

Milk prices are expected to reach $4US this summer,
with similar price increases in cheese and ice cream.
This projected dairy product price increase constitutes
a significant childraising cost increase that
breastfeeding does _not_ eliminate. Momma's gotta eat
or breastfeeding infant starves.

But momma does not *need* to drink milk. There are plenty of other
calcium-rich foods not to mention calcium supplements.

Agreed, and sometimes momma eating dairy is a problem. My daughter
screamed every time I bf'd her. We tried all the gas eliminator drops
(helped somewhat) and I cut everything out of my diet at one time or
another EXCEPT milk. "Everyone KNOWS bf'ing mommas need lots of milk
in their diet!!" Hah. The milk WAS the problem. Daughter was
lactose intolerant! It went away when she was about 8 months old but
I stopped bf'ing at 3 mos because of this problem. (Good thing, too;
she got teeth two weeks later.)

She was a "formula baby" after that and has zero health problems now
at 13

Jeannie
sounds like Ballard wants a(nother?) entitlement--dairy discounts just
for parents?
Old May 24th 04, 09:23 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
hpjeannie wrote:

*Agreed, and sometimes momma eating dairy is a problem. My daughter
*screamed every time I bf'd her. We tried all the gas eliminator drops
*(helped somewhat) and I cut everything out of my diet at one time or
*another EXCEPT milk. "Everyone KNOWS bf'ing mommas need lots of milk
*in their diet!!" Hah. The milk WAS the problem. Daughter was
*lactose intolerant! It went away when she was about 8 months old but
*I stopped bf'ing at 3 mos because of this problem. (Good thing, too;
*she got teeth two weeks later.)

1. lactose intolerance is vanishingly rare in newborns.

2. intolerance to dairy in the diet of the nursing mother by the newborn
is NOT suggestive of lactose intolerance. it may be suggestive of milk
protein allergy.

3. the lactose content of breastmilk is in no way dependent on mom's dairy
intake. breastmilk will contain the same amount of lactose if mom is
vegan or omnivorous.

4. teeth are not a problem for most breastfeeding mothers. My daughter
just weaned last week. She has had seven teeth for several months. She got
her first teeth at about 6 mos and continued nursing for a year after that
with no problems. She never bit me once. My son, on the other hand, drew
blood when he GUMMED me at two or three (toothless) months of age.
Teething is not a reason to wean, unless you want it to be and then of
course it can be.

Old May 26th 04, 09:38 PM
hpjeannie

Thanks, Hillary, you are right. I have discovered in another thread
("Unconsolable Infant") that it was 99% likely a milk protein allergy,
not lactose intolerance.

Jeannie