Anyone think I shouldn't name my daughter Hypatia Artemis? Other suggestions?

Old November 12th 03, 01:04 AM
andrea baker

Default Anyone think I shouldn't name my daughter Hypatia Artemis? Other suggestions?

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of Hypatia (after Hypatia of Alexandria) for my
daughter's first name, and Artemis (after the Greek Goddess of the
Hunt) for a second name. My parents are horrified, and think she'll
be teased. I thought if she doesn't like Hypatia, she can use "Patty"
for short. For reasons personal to me, it's important to give her the
name of a strong, unmarried woman.

Who else thinks this is just an invitation for bullying, or thinks
that there are other compelling reasons not to use these names?

Any other suggestions for strong, unmarried female namesakes?

-Andrea Baker

Old November 12th 03, 03:33 AM
Peggy Tatyana

"andrea baker" wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of Hypatia (after Hypatia of Alexandria) for my
daughter's first name, and Artemis (after the Greek Goddess of the
Hunt) for a second name. My parents are horrified, and think she'll
be teased. I thought if she doesn't like Hypatia, she can use "Patty"
for short. For reasons personal to me, it's important to give her the
name of a strong, unmarried woman.

Who else thinks this is just an invitation for bullying, or thinks
that there are other compelling reasons not to use these names?

Any other suggestions for strong, unmarried female namesakes?

How about Teresa? ;- (I take it you're not looking for a Christian
role-model...but there are several saints who were strong, unmarried women)

There's also Elizabeth I, queen of England, Susan B. Anthony, and Greek
goddesses Athena and Hestia (suggestions from my feminist/history-enthusiast
daughter, Aspen.)

As for being bothered by one's name, or teased, I think that's simply not
something that can be predicted in advance. Girls, especially, tend not to
be bothered so much by unusual names as boys. Naming my older daughter
Aspen, horrified _my_ mother. (I'm guessing she thought of people calling
her "Assie" -- which no one ever has.) But I gave her a "normal" middle
name, which she could use if "Aspen" turned out to be too weird for her.
Aspen thinks, BTW, that "Artemis" is a wonderful name.

Another thing to keep in mind is that "Hypatia" would be a name that would
demand an explanation. People will always be saying, "That's an interesting
name! Where does it come from?" And Hyaptia as a historical figure simply
isn't well-known enough for people to appreciate what you mean by it.

Peggy

Old November 12th 03, 04:29 AM
gale

"Peggy Tatyana" wrote in message
As for being bothered by one's name, or teased, I think that's simply not
something that can be predicted in advance. Girls, especially, tend not to
be bothered so much by unusual names as boys. Naming my older daughter
Aspen, horrified _my_ mother. (I'm guessing she thought of people calling
her "Assie" -- which no one ever has.) But I gave her a "normal" middle
name, which she could use if "Aspen" turned out to be too weird for her.
Aspen thinks, BTW, that "Artemis" is a wonderful name.

Another thing to keep in mind is that "Hypatia" would be a name that would
demand an explanation. People will always be saying, "That's an

interesting
name! Where does it come from?" And Hyaptia as a historical figure simply
isn't well-known enough for people to appreciate what you mean by it.

Following up on Patty's comments: my unusual name, which was one I was
teased about for years as a child, has become something I really treasure
and find to be a real asset in business. My life went from "chicken ala
king" and "aulie aulie umcumfree" to "Aula called" I don't have to give a
phone number or say *which* Aula called, there is just one of me, at least
in Florida [my Mom, another Aula, is in a New England state]. And, for what
it is worth, nearly every name is given to teasing at some point by someone
just because kids tease kids about anything which they can think of. The
average names and the unusual names all draw about equal fire. I don't
think that that is a great concern unless you are gracing your child with a
name that is a common slang for sex or something equally hard to live with.

-Aula [pronounced like "Paula" without the "P"]
--
see my creative works on ebay under aulame 123

Old November 12th 03, 03:00 PM
Scott Lindstrom

andrea baker wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm thinking of Hypatia (after Hypatia of Alexandria) for my
daughter's first name, and Artemis (after the Greek Goddess of the
Hunt) for a second name. My parents are horrified, and think she'll
be teased. I thought if she doesn't like Hypatia, she can use "Patty"
for short. For reasons personal to me, it's important to give her the
name of a strong, unmarried woman.

Who else thinks this is just an invitation for bullying, or thinks
that there are other compelling reasons not to use these names?

Any other suggestions for strong, unmarried female namesakes?

I think the only argument against Hypatia is that your
daughter will forever be spelling her name for anyone
who asks her name.

OTOH, I'm always spelling my name ('that's with two "T"s'),
too, but at least garden-variety people can pronounce it.

And are you 100% SURE it's a girl? All this worry about
a girl's name -- doesn't that predispose you to having
another boy?

Scott DD 10 and DS 7.8

Old November 12th 03, 05:53 PM
Elizabeth Gardner

In article ,
(andrea baker) wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of Hypatia (after Hypatia of Alexandria) for my
daughter's first name, and Artemis (after the Greek Goddess of the
Hunt) for a second name. My parents are horrified, and think she'll
be teased. I thought if she doesn't like Hypatia, she can use "Patty"
for short. For reasons personal to me, it's important to give her the
name of a strong, unmarried woman.

Who else thinks this is just an invitation for bullying, or thinks
that there are other compelling reasons not to use these names?

Any other suggestions for strong, unmarried female namesakes?

-Andrea Baker

My daughter's second-grade class is filled with long flowy girls' names
like Gabriela, Giuliana, and Anastasia (two of those!). As far as I can
tell, there's no longer any distinction between normal names and weird
names. I don't think there's anything wrong with Hypatia as a name
(except that I dimly recollect there being a famous porn star or
stripper by that name), but if her last name is going to be Baker, I
think Artemis scans better as a first name. Also, it's slightly easier
to spell.

You might just Google Hypatia quickly (with a few different possible
spellings) to see who else has it, because with an unusual name like
that, people might make a connection. Wouldn't hurt to do it for
Artemis, too.

Kids can give grief over just about any name if they've decided to
victimize its owner, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Just my $.02.

Old November 12th 03, 05:54 PM
Nevermind

"andrea baker" wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of Hypatia (after Hypatia of Alexandria) for my
daughter's first name, and Artemis (after the Greek Goddess of the
Hunt) for a second name. My parents are horrified, and think she'll
be teased. I thought if she doesn't like Hypatia, she can use "Patty"
for short. For reasons personal to me, it's important to give her the
name of a strong, unmarried woman.

Who else thinks this is just an invitation for bullying, or thinks
that there are other compelling reasons not to use these names?

I can't think of any compelling reasons, especially given the bizarro,
completely made-up names you hear these days. Maybe she could call
herself "Hippie".

However, *if* you'd like to give her a name that is more "normal," you
could always use Artemis's Roman name, which is Diana. That said, I
really love the names Artemis and Diana, but Hypatia just doesn't have
a pleasant sound to me and sounds very formal and kind of stuffy. Just
my .02.

Old November 12th 03, 06:11 PM
Banty

In article , andrea baker
says...

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of Hypatia (after Hypatia of Alexandria) for my
daughter's first name, and Artemis (after the Greek Goddess of the
Hunt) for a second name. My parents are horrified, and think she'll
be teased. I thought if she doesn't like Hypatia, she can use "Patty"
for short. For reasons personal to me, it's important to give her the
name of a strong, unmarried woman.

Who else thinks this is just an invitation for bullying, or thinks
that there are other compelling reasons not to use these names?

Any other suggestions for strong, unmarried female namesakes?

-Andrea Baker

I would switch it and go for Artemis Hypatia.

My initial reaction to 'Hypatia' was that it sounds like a medical condition.
'Artemis' is a better-known mythological figure, and no obvious reason to tease
about it comes to mind. So make that the first name.

Banty

Old November 12th 03, 08:37 PM
Alicia

Hello Andrea, I remember you mentioning these names some time ago on MKP I
think. You must be getting close to your due date now...
I wanted to mention a few things regarding your choice of names:

Firstly, I think it is a wonderful thing to name a child something unique
and special, especially when it has a strong meaning to it.

Second, I knew a very bubbly petite girl in grade 5 by the name of Hermione,
she was very friendly but was teased mercilessly for her name. I felt so
terrible for her. (If only the Harry Potter empire had been around back
then!) Even my son, whose name is Raine gets quite a few raised eyebrows
and people pulling back from him with a frown like there is something
strange about him. : / Even as I was growing up my name was considered
unusual. (I hated it LOL ) I think that an unusual name will always have
people questioning, but perhaps one that can be spelled or pronounced fairly
easily wouldn't be so challenging to live with.
If you are inclined to check into historical names that belong to strong
women, perhaps Celtic names? I think there was a strong base of
druidic/pagan followers who worshiped a goddess, there are bound to be names
in a society where women are held up as powerful creators. Norse mythology
might yield some good names too, though the only one that comes to my mind
is Freya, the goddess of Love. I don't recall whether she had a mate or
not.
Well, whatever you choose, I would like to hear what you decide! Good luck
Andrea,
-Alicia

Old November 12th 03, 09:14 PM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

"gale" wrote:

[...]

I was teased about my LAST name as a child. And I appreciate having
an unusual name although it is hard to get people not to call me
Rosanne or Rosemary or Rosie or some other variation.

grandma Rosalie