going back to work-- advice on weaning

Old February 27th 08, 08:36 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Aruna

Default going back to work-- advice on weaning

Hello,

I have been breastfeeding my 13 month old daughter from day one. I was
sick when i was 9 months pregnant and had to quit my job. Now I intend
going back, the problem being weaning my daughter. I feed her 2-3
times during the day(only when she needs to go to sleep) and she
wouldnt sleep any other way. My mother is with me now to assist me in
getting back to work with the baby, but our efforts are in vain. She
wouldnt go to my mother when she is sleepy and is crying all day. I
know that i am kind of being early in trying to wean, but i have no
other option.

We tried to give her bottle, she wouldnt take, infact she keeps
screaming if we try anything other than the breast. I am trying to
make sure she spends as much time with DH and my mom as well, but when
its time to sleep she needs only MOMMY and shoves away everyone else.

PLEASE any inputs are appreciated!!

Thanks
Aruna.
Old February 28th 08, 03:22 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Stormlady

"Aruna" wrote in message
[...]

A lot of times the children are much better for other caregivers when the
mother is not around. When you're trying to get her to go with your mother,
are you there as well. She's not going to go with anyone else if she knows
you're still there. I went back to work when my daughter was a year, but I
didn't bother to wean because of it, we just breastfed when I was around,
and didn't when I wasn't. At that age they're eating enough other things
that the breastmilk is not as crucial to the diet. I think that after a few
days of you not being there for nap time, she'd adjust and go right to sleep
for someone else. I remember when I started my daughter in daycare, I had
the same worry, she only breastfed to sleep. But after the first week, she
went to sleep with all the other kids, no problem at all. Put me back in
the picture at naptime though, and she wasn't going without being fed.

Have you tried a sippy cup? My daughter gave up bottles around 9 months,
but had no trouble at all with a sippy cup. Maybe she just doesn't like the
bottles. Nuby makes one with a soft spout that's a good one to start with I
found.

HTH
Heather

Old February 28th 08, 09:07 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Aruna

On Feb 27, 7:22*pm, "Stormlady" wrote:
"Aruna" wrote in message

[...]

Heather- Hide quoted text -

Hi

Thanks... that was a relief to know that i dont have to wean
completely
before taking up a job....
Hope it gets better as days pass....

Aruna.
Old February 29th 08, 08:01 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
TN

On Feb 28, 7:22 am, "Stormlady" wrote:
"Aruna" wrote in message

[...]

I agree with Heather. You don't have to wean completely. You can still
BF your daughter before going to work in the morning and in the
evening when you are back from work. Leaving her with your mother will
be a problem in the beginning. this is what most of the children do
when it comes to change of their routine srounding. But they get use
to the change after sometime. She will definitely cry and scream when
you leave her but when you are not around she will be ok.

Besides all this, remember she will demand more of your attention
during the time you will be with her, especially at your return in
eve.

Good luck,

Weaning advice kazh Pregnancy 58 November 18th 05 01:20 AM
advice needed on pacifier weaning [email protected] General 9 September 30th 05 12:36 AM
Getting AF back after total weaning - any experiences with how long? Cathy Breastfeeding 5 March 20th 04 11:11 PM
Weaning - Need Advice [email protected] Breastfeeding 13 March 16th 04 01:13 PM
health visitors advice about 1st stage weaning teapot Breastfeeding 4 September 5th 03 03:20 AM