Carbonation nation [aspartame soda]: San Diego Union-Tribune: Nina

Old August 19th 03, 06:44 AM
Rich Murray

Default Carbonation nation [aspartame soda]: San Diego Union-Tribune: Nina

Carbonation nation [aspartame soda]: San Diego Union-Tribune:
Nina Garin: Murray 8.18.3 rmforall

"Diet soda may have less sugar, but it's not nutritious, either. Those
who prefer diet drinks are putting chemical sweeteners like aspartame
and saccharine in their bodies. Some people have claimed that these
chemicals can cause seizures, anxiety, cramps and headaches."

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/f..._1c18soda.html

Carbonation nation
Teens celebrate soda, despite efforts to burst their bubble
By Nina Garin UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER August 18, 2003

[ Nina Garin, P.O. Box 120191, San Diego, CA 92112-0191. For other
information, call (619) 293-1284 or send e-mail to
]

The raddest thing about soda is how it's sugary and bubbly and
wonderful.
You can drink it with french fries or chips or cheeseburgers. It even
tastes great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Jason Killian knows every way you can drink a soda.
He's obsessed with it. He has five a day - at 11 a.m.,
at lunch, after school, for a 4 p.m. snack, and finally, one with
dinner.

"I'm the king of drinking sodas," says the 13-year-old as he chugs a
Pepsi under the sun in Pacific Beach. "My friends, they're like peasants
compared to me."

Despite the warnings that soda can contribute to obesity, bad teeth,
lack of calcium and type 2 diabetes, teenagers are still drinking it in
record numbers. An average teen drinks two cans a day or more than
700 cans a year, according to studies.

Still, Jason and many kids his age have absolutely no worries about
what all this sweet stuff may be doing to their growing bodies.

"My favorite is Sierra Mist," says Emerald Middle School's Jason. "It
has a good flavor."

Kevin Pintado, 14, doesn't worry either. The Imperial Valley teen
drinks as many as three Pepsis a day.

"I know it's bad for you, like, it rots your teeth and stuff," says
Kevin, relaxing with a group of friends on the Pacific Beach boardwalk.
"That's true for all dark sodas. But I don't care, I drink it anyway."

There are about 10 teaspoons of sugar in a 12-ounce can of soda. And
drinking it over the course of a year means a possible weight gain of 15
pounds and lots and lots of cavities.

So for every kid who dreams about downing an ice-cold Coke after
school, there are adults out there trying to stop them.

There are bills proposed throughout the United States to try to ban
soft-drink machines from schools. In California, sodas are already
outlawed in the Los Angeles and Oakland school districts. Teens in the
Vista school district don't have soda in their vending machines, either.

All this huff is happening because a study by the USDA found that in the
mid-1990s, sodas equaled 11 percent of the beverages sold at schools.
That's quite a shift from the less than 3 percent that was sold in the
mid-1980s.

Lauren McDonnell, 14, has already been affected by this newfound,
health-conscious attitude.

"We don't have machines at my school anymore," says Lauren, who
lives in San Francisco but was hanging out in Pacific Beach. "They also
stopped serving them with hot lunches. Now they just sell Gatorade and
water."

Things haven't gotten that drastic here, especially since the San Diego
Unified School District just sealed a million-dollar deal with Coke. But
with parents keeping an extra watchful eye on sugar these days, sharing
a soda with Mom and Dad isn't where it's at.

"I can drink one of those two-liter bottles of Coke every day," says one
San Diego teen who is so afraid his parents will find out about his soda
habit that he wouldn't give his name. "I buy one on my way to school,
and it's done by when my mom gets home. She thinks I have, like, a can
a day. But I got past the can-a-day habit in my junior high years. I'm
on to the heavy drinking now."

This is not good news for parents.

"Kids don't need to have that much sugar," says El Cajon
mother-of-eight Stacy Atkinson. "I try to keep their sugar content
down, so I don't stock too much soda in the house."

There isn't soda of any kind in Lauren's house, either.

"My mom is really into health and stuff," she says. "She's afraid I'll
get diabetes. We only get it on special occasions."

Atkinson, who only buys soda once a week, tries to push water or milk
on her family. Yes, that's right, water - that flavorless, sugarless
drink that doesn't fizz or make you burp or anything.

But how is anyone supposed to want to drink water if Britney and
Christina constantly tell you about "The Joy of Cola" and "The Real
Thing"? No one in water commercials falls out of airplanes like in those
Mountain Dew ads. Where's the fun in that?

Annabelle Garcia, 16, knows she's supposed to drink eight glasses of
water. She carries around a water bottle and fills it up throughout the
day. But the Oceanside teen admits those Shakira Pepsi commercials
have an impact.

"I think it's cool that, like, you know Shakira got famous enough in the
United States to have her own commercials," she says. "Not that it's,
like, the reason I drink Pepsi or anything. But I do feel like I should
support her."

Annabelle is concerned about the sugar. That's why she buys diet.
Lauren is another fan of diet drinks.

"Soda is OK if you just drink diet," she says.

Diet soda may have less sugar, but it's not nutritious, either. Those
who prefer diet drinks are putting chemical sweeteners like aspartame
and saccharine in their bodies. Some people have claimed that these
chemicals can cause seizures, anxiety, cramps and headaches.

And girls who don't drink milk are even more at risk for developing
osteoporosis, since less than 20 percent of them are getting the
recommended daily allowance for calcium, a mineral that may affect
their body's ability to regulate weight.

But pouring a cold glass of milk after school sounds as appealing as
lima beans. An article in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
says milk drinking has decreased by 36 percent from 1965 to 1996. Soft
drink consumption increased by 287 percent in boys and 224 percent in
girls.

"Milk is gross," says Annabelle, who isn't affected by those
celebrity-driven "Got Milk" ads.

These nutritional figures are reaching the soda companies, and now
Coca-Cola is introducing its latest product, Swerve. It's a milk-based
drink that will be available in fruit flavors.

"It's like Coke is trying to make milk cool or something," says
Annabelle. "And I don't think that milk can ever be cool, unless it's
chocolate. Drinking banana milk sounds nasty."

Still, no matter how much parents and teachers and doctors and even
soda companies try to limit the intake of sodas, the sugary, bubbly
drink will always hold a place in teenager's taste buds.

"I usually buy a 12-pack every other day," says Jason as the fizzy drink
can sparkles in the sun. "I love sodas."

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/features/
20030818-9999_1c18content.html
Sugar and caffeine content by soda August 18, 2003
Sugar* Content of Carbonated Non-Diet Soft Drinks
* grams per 12 fluid ounces
Minute Maid Orange Soda (Coca-Cola Co.) - 48
Mountain Dew (PepsiCo) - 46
Pepsi - 41
Dr Pepper - 40
Coca-Cola Classic - 39
7Up - 39
Sprite - 38

Caffeine* Content of Carbonated Soft Drinks * mg per 12 fluid ounces

Pepsi One - 55
Mountain Dew - 55
Diet Coke - 42
Dr Pepper - 40
Pepsi - 37
Coca-Cola Classic - 34
Minute Maid Orange Soda - 0
Sprite - 0
7Up - 0

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/features/
20030818-9999_1c18sodaside.html
POP'S TOP August 18, 2003 The top-selling sodas in 2002:

1. Coca-Cola Classic - 1,953.0 million cases sold
2. Pepsi - 1,328.5
3. Diet Coke - 913.4
4. Mountain Dew - 655.9
5. Sprite - 633.2
6. Dr. Pepper - 596.9
7. Diet Pepsi - 528.6
8. 7 UP - 174.5
9. Caffeine Free Diet Coke - 170.3
0. Diet Dr. Pepper - 111.3
Source: Beverage Aisle magazine

http://www.signonsandiego.com/about/.../contacts.html
How to Contact the Union-Tribune
General phone number: (619) 718- 5200
News Tips and Story Ideas

GENERAL MANAGEMENT
EDITORIAL
Ron James, Content Manager

News
Jeff Rose, News Editor

Jeff Dillon, Principal Content Producer, News

Greg Magnus, Principal Content Producer, News

Steve Perez, Principal Content Producer, News

Bob Hawkins, Principal Content Producer, News

http://www.signonsandiego.com/about/ut/contacts.html
How to Contact SignOnSanDiego.com
Letters to the Editor
Letters Editor, The San Diego Union-Tribune., PO Box 120191,
San Diego, CA, 92112-0191, or fax (619) 260-5081, or e-mail:

We welcome all questions and comments. Please direct your e-mails to
the appropriate departments listed below. By e-mail
Reader's Representative:

Food:

Opinion:

By phone
General information (619) 299-3131 or (800) 244-6397
News Department (619) 293-1211 or (800) BIG-NEWS (Nationwide),
or by fax: (619) 293-1896.
Readers Representative (619) 293-1525 or (800) 244-6397
brief aspartame review: formaldehyde toxicity: Murray 8.18.3 rmforall

Rich Murray, MA Room For All
1943 Otowi Road, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505 USA 505-986-9103

[NutraSweet, Equal, Canderel, Benevia, E951]

aspartame review: methanol, formaldehyde, formic acid toxicity:
Murray 8.18.3 rmforall

formaldehyde from methanol in aspartame: Murray: 12.9.2 rmforall

aspartame & formaldehyde toxicity: Murray 8.18.3 rmforall

EU votes 440 to 20 to approve sucralose, limit cyclamates & reevaluate
aspartame & stevia: Murray 4.12.3 rmforall

http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame...2-response.htm
Mark Gold exhaustively critiques European Commission Scientific
Committee on Food re aspartame (12.4.2): 59 pages, 230 references

aspartame toxicity coverup increases danger of corporate meltdown:
Michael C. Carakostas of Coca-Cola: Murray 8.11.3 rmforall
http://www.isrtp.org/new_members/members1.htm
The International Society of Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology
Carakostas, Michael C., DVM, PhD
Director/Scientific & Regulatory Affairs
The Coca-Cola Company PO Drawer 1734 Atlanta, GA 30301
T. 404/676-4234 F. 404/676-7166 E-mail:
http://www2.coca-cola.com/ourcompany...aspartame.html [photo]
Aspartame: The world agrees it's safe By Michael Carakostas, DVM, PhD
Director, Scientific and Regulatory Affairs, Coca-Cola

It is commendable that Carakostas mentions the core problem, albeit
disparagingly: "During digestion, aspartame yields a very small amount
of methanol-- as do many other food substances. The body converts this
methanol to formaldehyde, which is instantly converted to formate.
Formate is quickly eliminated as carbon dioxide and water."

Plenty of evidence in the mainstream scientific literature since 1973
shows that as much as 30% of the formaldehyde is retained in the body as
toxic, cumulative adducts to the DNA, RNA, and proteins in all cells and
tissues, leading to pointed reports by informed doctors and experts.
Clearly, there are no safe levels for chronic, low-level formaldehyde
exposure. If just 10% of the methanol from six cans of diet soda is
retained in the body as toxic products of formaldehyde and formic acid,
that is sixty times the EPA limit for allowable formaldehyde from daily
drinking water.

President Bush & formaldehyde (aspartame) toxicity: Ramazzini Foundation
carcinogenicity results Dec 2002: Soffritti: Murray 8.3.3 rmforall

p. 88 "The sweetening agent aspartame hydrolyzes in the gastrointestinal
tract to become free methyl alcohol, which is metabolized in the liver
to formaldehyde, formic acid, and CO2. (11)" Medinsky MA & Dorman DC.
1994; Assessing risks of low-level methanol exposure. CIIT Act. 14: 1-7.

Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2002 Dec; 982: 87-105.
Results of long-term experimental studies on the carcinogenicity of
formaldehyde and acetaldehyde in rats.
Soffritti M, Belpoggi F, Lambertin L, Lauriola M, Padovani M, Maltoni C.
Cancer Research Center, European Ramazzini Foundation for Oncology and
Environmental Sciences, Bologna, Italy.

"Formaldehyde and acetaldehyde were found to produce an increase in
total malignant tumors in the treated groups and showed specific
carcinogenic effects on various organs and tissues. PMID: 12562630"

It is certain that high levels of aspartame use, above 2 liters daily
for months and years, must lead to chronic formaldehyde-formic acid
toxicity, since 11% of aspartame (1,120 mg in 2L diet soda, 5.6 12-oz
cans) is 123 mg methanol (wood alcohol), immediately released into the
body after drinking (unlike the large levels of methanol locked up in
molecules inside many fruits), then quickly transformed into
formaldehyde, which in turn becomes formic acid, both of which in
time are partially eliminated as carbon dioxide and water.

However, about 30% of the methanol remains in the body as cumulative
durable toxic metabolites of formaldehyde and formic acid-- 37 mg daily,
a gram every month. [J. Nutrition 1973 Oct; 103(10): 1454-1459.
Metabolism of aspartame in monkeys. Oppermann JA, Muldoon E, Ranney RE.]
If 10% of the methanol is retained as formaldehyde, that would give 12
mg daily formaldehyde accumulation, about 60 times more than the 0.2 mg
from 10% retention of the 2 mg EPA daily limit for formaldehyde in
water.

Many scientific studies and case histories report: * headaches
* many body and joint pains (or burning, tingling, tremors, twitching,
spasms, cramps, or numbness) * fever, fatigue
* "mind fog", "feel unreal", poor memory, confusion, anxiety,
irritability, depression, mania, insomnia, dizziness, slurred speech,
ringing in ears, sexual problems, poor vision, hearing, or taste
* red face, itching, rashes, hair loss, burning eyes or throat,
dry mouth or eyes, mouth sores * obesity, bloating, edema, anorexia,
poor or excessive hunger or thirst * breathing problems
* nausea, diarrhea or constipation * coldness * sweating
* racing heart, high blood pressure, erratic blood sugar levels
* seizures * birth defects * brain cancers * addiction
* aggrivates diabetes, autism, allergies, ADHD, fibromyalgia,
chronic fatigue syndrome, multiple chemical sensitivity, multiple
sclerosis, and interstitial cystitis (bladder pain).

RTM: Smith, Terpening, Schmidt, Gums:
full text: aspartame, MSG, fibromyalgia 1.17.2 rmforall
Jerry D Smith, Chris M Terpening, Siegfried OF Schmidt, and John G Gums
Siegfried O. Schmidt, MD Asst. Clinical Prof.
Relief of Fibromyalgia Symptoms Following Discontinuation of Dietary
Excitotoxins. The Annals of Pharmacotherapy 2001; 35(6): 702-706.
Malcolm Randall Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Gainesville, FL, USA.
CASE SUMMARY: Four patients diagnosed with fibromyalgia syndrome
for two to 17 years are described. All had undergone multiple treatment
modalities with limited success. All had complete, or nearly complete,
resolution of their symptoms within months after eliminating monosodium
glutamate (MSG) or MSG plus aspartame from their diet. All patients
were women with multiple comorbidities prior to elimination of MSG.
All have had recurrence of symptoms whenever MSG is ingested.

aspartame in Merck Maxalt-MLT worsens migraine: Murray 7.16.2 rmforall
Migraine MLT-Down: an unusual presentation of migraine
in patients with aspartame-triggered headaches.
Newman LC, Lipton RB Headache 2001 Oct; 41(9): 899-901.
[Merck 10-mg Maxalt-MLT, for migraine, has 3.75 mg aspartame,
while 12 oz diet soda has 200 mg.]
Headache Institute, St. Lukes-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY
Department of Neurology
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY
Innovative Medical Research

aspartame puts formaldehyde adducts into tissues, Part 1/2
full text, Trocho & Alemany 6.26.98: Murray 12.22.2 rmforall
Formaldehyde derived from dietary aspartame binds to tissue
components in vivo. Life Sci 1998 Jun 26; 63(5): 337-49.
Maria Alemany, PhD (male)

Confirming evidence and a general theory are given by Pall (2002):
testable theory of MCS type diseases, vicious cycle of nitric oxide &
peroxynitrite: MSG: formaldehyde-methanol-aspartame:
Martin L. Pall: Murray: 12.9.2 rmforall

Functional Therapeutics in Neurodegenerative Disease Part 1/2:
Perlmutter 7.15.99: Murray 1.10.3 rmforall

formaldehyde toxicity: Thrasher & Kilburn: Shaham: EPA: Gold: Murray:
Wilson: CIIN: 12.12.2 rmforall

24 recent formaldehyde toxicity [Comet assay] reports:
Murray 12.31.2 rmforall

genotoxins, Comet assay in mice: Ace-K, stevia fine; aspartame poor;
sucralose, cyclamate, saccharin bad: Y.F. Sasaki Aug 2002:
Murray 1.27.3 rmforall [A detailed look at the data]

http://www.dorway.com/tldaddic.html 5-page review
Roberts HJ Aspartame (NutraSweet) addiction.
Townsend Letter 2000 Jan;
http://www.sunsentpress.com/
Sunshine Sentinel Press P.O.Box 17799 West Palm Beach, FL 33416
800-814-9800 561-588-7628 561-547-8008 fax

http://www.HolisticMed.com/aspartame 603-225-2100
Aspartame Toxicity Information Center Mark D. Gold
12 East Side Drive #2-18 Concord, NH 03301
http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame.../methanol.html
"Scientific Abuse in Aspartame Research"