Better, but I think I cracked a rib

Old December 9th 04, 12:44 PM
Jenrose

Default Better, but I think I cracked a rib

The cough has gone from being an "every time I move" thing to about 5-6
random fits per day. I'm off cough suppressants--I was getting a coughing
attack about 5 minutes after taking the meds, every time, decided it was
probably no longer worth it. (at the worst, I was having coughing fits 15-20
times per day, basically any time I got up to pee.)

But in the meantime, I think I managed to crack a rib. Hurts like *heck*
when I cough and I can't lie on that side, have to be very careful about
moving, etc... Anyone have any experience with this? I'm almost 28 weeks
now, and the rib area involved is the lower right, toward the back. Very
tender when pressed. At first I thought it might be liver pain, but given
that my BP and blood sugar are relentlessly normal (BP was 94/58 last time I
checked it after lying on my left side for a while... it tends to run closer
to 100/60-110/70 when I've been up and about.) The longer I go without
coughing, the less it hurts. The more freuqently I cough, the worse it is.
My husband can't even put his arm over me when we're sleeping--hurts my rib
too much if it's at my waist and hurts my pelvis to have pressure on my
hips.

In another week, baby will be able to kick the sore spot.

Ugh.

Jenrose

Old December 9th 04, 02:54 PM
T Flynn

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Jenrose wrote:
But in the meantime, I think I managed to crack a rib. Hurts like *heck*
when I cough and I can't lie on that side, have to be very careful about
moving, etc... Anyone have any experience with this? I'm almost 28 weeks
now, and the rib area involved is the lower right, toward the back. Very
tender when pressed.

It kind of sounds like my own undiagnosed cracked rib -- when I've put my
daughter into the crib and leaned too hard going over the railing to keep
her flat, I've felt a popping sound on my right side and INCREDIBLE pain,
and then for the next couple weeks it's very tender depending on movement
and pressure. Never went to the doc for it. However, part of why this has
happened to me is because my daughter was and is a CALCIUM LEECH. Make
sure you're getting enough calcium for you and the munchkin. The
cheapest, most convenient form for me seems to be calcium-based antacids--
they taste great and they're cheap and they don't look suspicious in my
desk drawer. (Oh yes, and slightly tangentally, KEEP UP ON YOUR DENTIST
APPOINTMENTS. Calcium leech girl trashed my teeth, too, and since our
insurance was in a knot, I didn't go. It's a BLAST pumping and arranging
for a sitter for a small baby who hates everyone else to go in for ROOT
CANALS.)

Old December 9th 04, 10:09 PM
Kelly

Jenrose,
You may have a rib misplaced or torn the cartilage in between the ribs.
This hurts like the unmentionable. The only thing that worked for me was
seeing my friend the massuese and my other friend the chiropractor.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything you can do for a cracked rib
except wait it out, which sucks when you are pregnant and *growing* right at
the ribs

sorry you are so miserable! (((hugs)))

Kelly

Old December 10th 04, 06:08 AM
Jenrose

"Kelly" wrote in message
Jenrose,
You may have a rib misplaced or torn the cartilage in between the ribs.
This hurts like the unmentionable. The only thing that worked for me was
seeing my friend the massuese and my other friend the chiropractor.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything you can do for a cracked
rib
except wait it out, which sucks when you are pregnant and *growing* right
at
the ribs

sorry you are so miserable! (((hugs)))

They gave me codeine. Finally. If they'd given it to me a week ago, I might
not have cracked the rib.

Jenrose ---feeling loopy