Aiden's Birth Story

Old May 13th 04, 10:02 AM
Cam & Shane

Default Aiden's Birth Story

Well...........

It all started Tuesday (4 May 2004 - two weeks early) morning at about 9am.
I was getting twinges in my back every five minutes or so. I had a midwives
appointment at 9.15 at my house. She said they would probably go away but
to call her if they didn't. I had a warm bath and they started to spread to
my front as well as my back. At 1.30am I timed the contractions and they
were about 3 1/2 minutes apart and going for a minute or longer. I called
Shane and the Ann the midwife. Ann came back to my house and examined me
and I was 1cm dilated. I thought it's going to be a long couple of days.
She left and said to phone her in the afternoon with an update. Shane also
had to leave to organise his staff to lock up. My friend Tammy came over to
keep me company. At about 4pm it the contractions were only a few minutes
apart at the most and going for 1˝ minutes. It was at this stage I became
vocal. Shane phoned Ann and she came and examined me again. I was waiting
for her to say "1.5cm" but thank goodness I was at 5cm. She said she'd meet
us at the local birthing centre in half an hour. This place is a very low
level hospital with no forceps, ventuse(sp?) thingy's, epidurals etc...just
really nice midwives and best of all a huge bath (oh and gas!). It is only
a ten-minute drive away but I had about 6 contractions on the way - all I
can remember of the drive in is Shane stopping to let people cross on the
pedestrian crossing!!! We arrived at 5.00pm and Ann already had the bath
full. I didn't want to move or go in the bath but she said it would feel
better. I was having awful back pain in between the contractions but as
soon as my back hit the water they went away. Things really started to move
fast then. Ann gave me the gas to use. I don't know if it helped with the
pain or not but it helped with my breathing and kept me quiet (smile).
After a few normal excruciatingly painful contractions they got really bad.
You could feel intense pressure on your bottom. I think I let everyone in
the centre know about it. I was examined again and there was only a bit of
the cervix left. I had a few more contractions that were just out of this
world. It was like getting whacked in the stomach with a really, really big
truck - but from the inside out. I got out of the bath and onto the bed.
This was about 6pm. I was examined and told I was fully dilated and I could
start to push. We tried a few different positions but the baby liked it
best sitting with my hands behind my knees. I could see the resident
midwife getting the bassinet ready and that's when the thought hit home that
I was going to have a baby real soon. What really shocked me is that when
you pushed, the contraction pain went away - you just had to work with your
body. Then his head started to crown - that burns! In two contractions he
came flying out. He was put to my chest straight away and we were covered in
towels. He cried for a bit, which is a wonderful sound. His Apgar scores
were 9 and 10. He fed a little while I was getting some stitches. They
weighed him - 6lbs. He was dressed and then everyone got to hold him.
Tammy was there the whole time and was a big help - she even stayed for the
grand finale!! Shane cut the cord and generally behaved himself (except for
eating my lollies and sucking on the gas..).

I learned that there are times in your life when you don't care who sees you
naked, you don't care who hears you screaming and you should listen to your
midwife when she says you should have had your bag packed!!!

If you want to see photos go here....

http://www.geocities.com/camandshane/

I'll retire to lurkdom now. It's been an amazing and mostly wonderful
journey. I hope every one TTC gets the BFP soon and every pregnant woman
has a wonderful birth experience.

Lots of love
Camille and Aiden :-)

PS if anyone comes to NZ stop in and say HI!! my email is on the web site.

---

Old May 13th 04, 01:13 PM
Nic H

Your story, and photos were wonderful Camille, I really enjoyed reading
and seeing them! I particularly liked the sunset pregnant photo, and the
new family photo of you three together, gives me the warm and fuzzies
:-) Congrats to you both, and welcome to your little cutie Aiden.

Even though I'm really allergic to the camera, your photos have moved me
to try and have a few taken while I'm pregnant, what a treasure to have
for later.

Good job Camille, beautiful baby!

Nic

Old May 13th 04, 01:41 PM
melizabeth

What a great story! Congratulations to you and Shane and welcome Aiden.

--
M~Elizabeth

To thine own self be true

Old May 13th 04, 01:43 PM
Donna

"Cam & Shane" wrote in message
Well...........

It all started Tuesday (4 May 2004 - two weeks early) morning at about

9am.

Congratulations!

Donna

Old May 13th 04, 03:11 PM
Bóliath

Cam & Shane wrote:

Well...........

It all started Tuesday (4 May 2004 - two weeks early) morning at about 9am.

snipped
I learned that there are times in your life when you don't care who sees you
naked, you don't care who hears you screaming and you should listen to your
midwife when she says you should have had your bag packed!!!

Many congratulations! I really enjoyed your story, I hope my babys birth
will be as good.

Thanks and welcome to Aiden.

Old May 13th 04, 07:57 PM
Fer

Cam & Shane wrote:
|| Well...........
|| It all started Tuesday (4 May 2004 - two weeks early) morning at
|| about 9am.

Sounds like a great birth! Thanks for sharin your story!--?

Jenn
-On bedrest due to PE
-DS Feb'92
-DD Feb'97
-Jellyfish due June 25/04

Old May 13th 04, 10:05 PM
Maggie

Cam & Shane spake thusly
He was put to my chest straight away and we were covered in
towels. He cried for a bit, which is a wonderful sound. His Apgar scores
were 9 and 10. He fed a little while I was getting some stitches. They
weighed him - 6lbs. He was dressed and then everyone got to hold him.

Many congrats Cam & Shane, and welcome to little Aiden!!
--
Maggie
Old May 13th 04, 10:08 PM
Larissa

Cam & Shane wrote:
[...]

Congratulations Camille! Your photos are lovely, Aiden looks such a
sweet little thing. Welcome to parenthood!

Larissa

Old May 14th 04, 02:37 AM
Cam & Shane

Thanks Nic

You should take as many photos as possible - I wish I had taken more!!! I
had wanted to take a bare belly one but he arrived too soon. Good luck with
your pregnancy.

Camille

---