Do they do version on gals with previous C-section?

Old November 2nd 03, 11:47 PM
Ollie

Default Do they do version on gals with previous C-section?

I am 35 weeks pregnant, and my baby is breech`. They are not sure this baby
will turn as my first baby was the same. First baby was transverse often
but also head down. He ended up a breech a few days before labor and I had
to have a C-section.

1. what would cause my babies to like transverse or breech position.
2. Do the docs perfrom a version to turn baby on gals with previous
c-sections.

Thanks in advance

Old November 3rd 03, 02:17 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Ollie wrote:

I am 35 weeks pregnant, and my baby is breech`. They are not sure this baby
will turn as my first baby was the same. First baby was transverse often
but also head down. He ended up a breech a few days before labor and I had
to have a C-section.

1. what would cause my babies to like transverse or breech position.

Any number of factors could affect the geometry of the
uterine environment such that the baby ended up transverse
or breech, or maybe the baby just prefers it for some reason.
My understanding is that it's relatively rare that there's
a situation *forcing* the baby to be transverse or breech.

2. Do the docs perfrom a version to turn baby on gals with previous
c-sections.

Well, since many rarely do external versions anyway,
I'm sure it's even harder to find them to do them on a mom
with a previous c-section, but as far as I can tell it's
worth a shot:

Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 1998 Oct;81(1):65-8.
External cephalic version after previous cesarean section: a
series of 38 cases.
de Meeus JB, Ellia F, Magnin G.
Department of Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Reproductive Biology,
University Hospital of Poitiers, France.

OBJECTIVE: To determine if external cephalic version (ECV) is a
reasonable alternative to repeat cesarean section in case of breech
presentation. STUDY DESIGN: Retrospective study of 38 women with one
previous cesarean section and a breech presentation after 36 weeks of
gestational age who have had at least one experience of ECV. Statistics
used the Fisher's test with significance when P0.05. RESULTS: Version
attempts were successful in 25 of the 38 women (65.8%). Seventy-six
percent of the successful version women went on to have vaginal birth
after cesarean section. A total of 19 successful vaginal deliveries
occurred (50%). Success rate of ECV was lowered when breech was the
indication of the previous cesarean section. The vaginal delivery rate
was increased after successful ECV in patients previously vaginally
delivered, but this difference did not reached significance (P=0.057).
No maternal or neonatal complications occurred. CONCLUSION: ECV is
acceptable and effective in women with a prior low transverse uterine
scar, when safety criteria are observed.

Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1991 Aug;165(2):370-2.
External cephalic version after previous cesarean section.
Flamm BL, Fried MW, Lonky NM, Giles WS.
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Kaiser Permanente Medical
Centers, Los Angeles, Riverside, CA 92505.

Approximately 100,000 cesarean sections are performed each year in the
United States because of breech presentation. Numerous studies have
shown that external cephalic version can eliminate the need for many of
these operations. However, because of the fear of uterine rupture, these
studies have generally excluded patients who have undergone previous
cesarean section. To evaluate the validity of this exclusion policy, we
studied patients with one or more previous cesarean sections and breach
presentations near term. Version attempts were successful in 82% of 56
patients who had undergone a previous cesarean section. Sixty-five
percent of the successful version patients went on to have vaginal birth
after cesarean section. There were no serious maternal or fetal
complications associated with the version attempts. We conclude that
external cephalic version is a reasonable option in patients with prior
low transverse cesarean section.

Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 1994 Apr;45(1):17-20.
External cephalic version after previous cesarean section--
a clinical dilemma.
Schachter M, Kogan S, Blickstein I.
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Kaplan Hospital,
Rehovot, Israel.

OBJECTIVES: To describe our limited experience with external cephalic
version from breech to vertex presentation at term, with the use of
ritodrine tocolysis, in women who had undergone a previous cesarean
delivery. METHODS: Eleven parturients after previous cesarean delivery
underwent external version after 36 gestational weeks, utilizing
tocolysis with ritodrine, after excluding cases of low-lying placenta,
severe oligohydramnion or ruptured membranes. Patients were then
followed until delivery and scar examination was carried out after
vaginal delivery, or at re-cesarean section, according to mode of
delivery. RESULTS: All 11 attempted versions were successful. Six
patients subsequently delivered vaginally and five by re-cesarean
section. None of the uterine scars showed any signs of dehiscence. Three
of the five infants delivered by re-cesarean section weighed over 4000
g, whereas all of the vaginally-delivered infants weighed under 3500 g.
CONCLUSIONS: External cephalic version to vertex presentation after
previous cesarean section was successful in all 11 carefully selected
patients. No untoward effects were noted, and no signs of scar
dehiscence were found. The safety and efficacy of this procedure after
previous cesarean delivery should be examined further.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Footprints on the toilet seat/TCM version of Todd Gastaldo, DC? Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 October 16th 03 11:25 PM
stats deja blues General 10 October 10th 03 06:55 PM
DRUGS-INDUCED/DRUGS CAN WORSEN RLS/PLMD: CAUTION! RLS/PLMD patients taking a medication prescribed by their qualified healthcare provider in this Section should not abruptly stop it. They should consult their qualified healthcare provider first. [email protected] Pregnancy 0 July 16th 03 05:58 AM