Poll: Birth Control

Old December 23rd 05, 04:47 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Birth Control

"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message
Ah. Just wondering. Because mine were flush with the opening of the os,
and that resulted in knifelike stabbing pains on my poor husband! I ended
up having it removed (he just used alligator forceps or something to grab
the bit that he could reach) which was no big deal, and Berlex provided
another one for free, so, it all worked out in the end.

I very honestly don't remember. I know he trimmed them really really short
(I can't feel them and DB doesn't stub his toe anymore), but that's about
all I can remember right now.

Jess

Old December 23rd 05, 08:41 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Circe wrote:

I doubt that it's the Micronor that's keeping you from having periods.

It could be either. About 10% of women on the mini-pill get
amenorrhoea (50% on the newest brand, Cerazette, but that's by-the-by).
Of course, the odds are still that it's due to lactational
amenorrhoea, since her baby is fairly young.

All the best,

Sarah

Old December 23rd 05, 08:47 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Poll: Birth Control

Amy wrote:
wrote:
Amy wrote:

My doc wouldn't give me a diaphragm - he said that he hadn't fitted
anyone for one in 4 years, and that "no one" uses them anymore!

Whattadork. I'm on the diaphragm -- although that's because my doc
wouldn't scrip anything hormonal *at all* for me because of the
preeclampsia, saying the side effects like clotting and such were too
strongly correlated with chronic hypertension for her to feel
comfortable doing so given my family history + preeclampsia (I'm not a
chronic hypertensive.)

Ironically, I've had high blood pressure for a couple of years, have a
strong family history of early-onset HBP on both sides, had either
"mild toxemia" or "pregnancy induced hypertension," depending on which
doctor you ask... I shouldn't be on hormonal birth control either...
But he said my ONLY options were the pill and the shot. I don't even
know if he took my history into consideration - I wonder if he just
defaults to those because they're easier for him.

OK, I agree - the guy is a dork. I can't fault him for refusing to fit
a diaphragm if he's that out of practice - I wouldn't either, because
it _really_ isn't a good idea to try to do something like that if
you're not confident you remember how to do it properly. But he should
indeed, as Circe said, be able to suggest an IUCD as an alternative (if
he doesn't know how to fit them, he should at least know someone who
can), and he _really_ shouldn't be suggesting the combined pill to
someone with hypertension. That's dangerous.

All the best,

Sarah

Old December 23rd 05, 08:51 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Sue wrote:
"Chookie" wrote in message
I think some of you need to calm down a bit.

Seeing the way the discussion is going, I will add: Hasn't it occurred to

any
of you that the post was humorous?

That's exactly what I was thinking. That's Amy's posting style. She is very
aggresive and humerous at the same time.

I'm going to choose to take that as a compliment. Considering that
I just chewed out some punk kid who was driving like a moron (it
started with, "HOW DARE YOU drive like that when people like me have
their kids in the car...?") I think it's safe to say I'm like that IRL,
too.

Although, I will say that every
time vasectomy is mentioned, people do get all up in arms. It's like some
cannot even comprehend that some parents are done having children and really
do not want anymore, no matter what. Having children is not the be all and
end all. There are other things in life.

Yeah, like chocolate.

Amy

Old December 23rd 05, 09:44 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

In article .com,
"Amy" wrote:

Seeing the way the discussion is going, I will add: Hasn't it occurred to
any of you that the post was humorous?

That's exactly what I was thinking. That's Amy's posting style. She is very
aggresive and humerous at the same time.

I'm going to choose to take that as a compliment.

Put it this way, Amy -- if you'd posted that in aus.family or said it at a
women's coffee morning in Australia (which is the same thing, really), there
would have been cheers and laughter. No criticism.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old December 23rd 05, 10:02 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Amy" wrote in message
I'm going to choose to take that as a compliment.

Please don't be offended. I meant that in the most nicest way possible. I
like that you are honest in what you feel and you are funny.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 23rd 05, 11:38 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

This is being typed late at night and in rather a rush, and because my
newsgroups aren't working and I'm going through Google, it's being
typed in Word first and then cut and pasted in. So please excuse me if
it's a) incoherent and b) crappily formatted.

Something that I've learned the hard and painful way is that it is a
Bad Idea for me to lose sight of the idea that our marriage is about
working together as a team. This involves a lot of things, and these
things include respect for each other's viewpoints and a willingness
to make decisions together rather than laying down the law.

No matter how sure I am that I'm right on a particular issue, no
matter how unwilling I feel to compromise, I've found that presenting
it as "This is the way we're doing it, so suck it up and deal with
it" is a really, really bad idea. It's a bad idea because what it
really means is "I do not have enough respect for you to think that
your opinion on the subject is even worth taking into account. You are
a nonentity in this decision." This does not promote marital
harmony. It fails to promote marital harmony in much the same way that
Saddam Hussein failed to promote peace on earth and goodwill towards
men.

What I have learned, and what I wish to hell I could always remember
myself when I'm dealing with situations in real life rather than
reading about them on Usenet, is that the thorny issues in life are
things we deal with together, because that's all part of being a
team. Which means ditching the "Suck it up and deal with it"
attitude in favour of "Sweetie, we've got a problem here. This is
the way I see it - what do you think?"

A lot of people in this thread seem to be talking as though the issue
here was which partner in this marriage is going to coerce the other
partner into doing things _their_ way. When I have tried approaching
problems in our marriage with that attitude, it didn't work. Oh,
boy, did it not work. Of course, that doesn't mean that it
wouldn't work for anyone else. But I've found that what works for
us is to stop thinking in terms of which of us gets our way, and start
thinking in terms of there being a problem here that we need to work
together on dealing with, and bring _that_ attitude to the discussion
with my husband instead. After all, that's the attitude he tries to
use with me, and that's the attitude I _like_ him to use with me
rather than a "Do things this way" attitude. So, it's only fair.

All the best,

Sarah

--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.blogspot.com

But how do we _know_ that nobody ever said on their deathbed that they
wished they'd spent more time at the office?

Old December 24th 05, 06:28 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Cathy Weeks" ) writes:
FWIW it's *generally* only reversable for a relatively short period of
time. Eventually the man's body makes antibodies against the sperm and
kills it, and when the antibody production starts it doesn't stop, and
even if it's reversed, his own body still produces the antibodies, and
kills off the sperm before it can leave his body.

I'm not sure if this is true, but I've also read that
the man can suffer autoimmune diseases. After he begins
to make antibodies against his own sperm, sometimes the
antibodies attack other parts of his body.
Old December 24th 05, 06:35 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Circe" ) writes:
Well, there's "force" and there's "force". Telling your spouse you're not
going to have sex with him/her any more until he/she does X is a form of
coercion, and anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling herself.

So -- how does this work the other way around? If she mentions
the idea of a vasectomy and he says he's not willing to do that --
isn't he coercing her just as much?

I think there's an important subtle difference between
"I'm not going to have sex until you have a V" and
"I'm sorry, but I'm not willing to take pills (or etc.) any more
and I don't want more children, either."