So confused... :(

Old March 3rd 05, 06:27 AM
xkatx

Default So confused... :(

Well, tomorrow we get to go for an ultra sound. I'm taking B with us. This
should be a fun experience (sarcasm) since he can't sit still for 2 minutes.
I really don't think I'm that huge yet, but just today at supper, he started
saying I have a big fat belly And a couple weeks ago, his friend at the
dayhome said I had a fat belly :'( I told B that I had to have a fat belly
because that's where his baby brother or sister is.) I'm thinking maybe it
would be easier for him to understand if he comes along for the ultra sound.
I also don't have much of a choice since I've pulled him out of childcare as
of the first of this month.
Earlier this afternoon, we were laying down on the couch watching some TV
and he started climbing all over and acting like he had ants in his pants,
and made nice and somewhat painful contact with my gut, and that's when I
told him he had to be a little less crazy because that's where his baby
bro/sis is... I don't think he really understands, but he might. He asked
what happens when the baby gets too big and fat, and I told him that's when
it's born, and he didn't really question it after that.
I'm sure someone's had some experience with a preschooler soon having a
sibling. Is there any suggestions on how to kind of get him to understand?
Is 4 too young to even try? Is there a way to explain it to a 4 year old so
they actually understand? Is taking him with me a good idea for him to
maybe see or will he just have no idea?
What happens if they are able to determine a sex (yes, I so want to know
since I'm impatient and don't like surprises lol) and I'm told it's a
boy? B is set on having a little sister, just like his best friend who has
a little sister. I know I have no control over what it is, but he's just so
determined for a sister, would it be a bad idea for him to know before? Do
you think it really matters at all to him? I think he'd probably forget all
about it anyways, and yes, I think I am getting a little paranoid over it,
but I just don't want him to be disappointed or something silly like that.
Wow... I really do think I've lost my mind...

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old March 3rd 05, 02:52 PM
Cele

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 06:27:22 GMT, "xkatx"
wrote:

[...]

I'm sure someone's had some experience with a preschooler soon having a
sibling. Is there any suggestions on how to kind of get him to understand?
Is 4 too young to even try? Is there a way to explain it to a 4 year old so
they actually understand? Is taking him with me a good idea for him to
maybe see or will he just have no idea?

Four's not too young. Mine are 26 months apart, and I had my eldest
very clear on the concept by the time her sister arrived. FWIW, here
are some of the things that I did:

1) I showed her pictures. You can get those pics of babies developing
inside the uterus at different stages. There are great books, but
also, they can be found on the net. There are photos and drawings,
both of which will be a lot more useful than the ultrasound.
Ultrasounds are hard to decipher even for adults, but pictures, he
will understand.

2) I read her books about new babies coming home. There are billions
in the kids' section at Chapters, or wherever. They really do help.

3) I let her feel the baby kick - which she did a lot of! Kicking, I
mean. LOL

4) I talked about the baby. As in, "Oh, gee, I don't think I'll eat
that, the baby might not like it," or, "Hmm, that baby must be wide
awake, 'cause there sure is a lot of kicking," or whatever. That made
the baby's presence more real.

5) I pointed out other people's tiny babies when we were out and
about, so there wouldn't be any big surprise that the baby wouldn't
come out ready to play with her.

6) I took her to see the newborn nursery at the hospital.

7) I included her in the organisation of diaper table, crib setup,
clothes, etc. We had snacks and fun times while we did this so she'd
enjoy the experience.

8) When the baby was born, I gave her the gift of a realistic baby
doll, so she could dress it and care for it while I changed diapers
and so forth. If you aren't keen to give your son a doll, it's still
not a bad idea for him to have some kind of a gift so that he feels
celebratory rather than ignored as a result of the baby's arrival.
Others may disagree, but it worked for me.

What happens if they are able to determine a sex (yes, I so want to know
since I'm impatient and don't like surprises lol) and I'm told it's a
boy? B is set on having a little sister, just like his best friend who has
a little sister. I know I have no control over what it is, but he's just so
determined for a sister, would it be a bad idea for him to know before? Do
you think it really matters at all to him? I think he'd probably forget all
about it anyways, and yes, I think I am getting a little paranoid over it,
but I just don't want him to be disappointed or something silly like that.

Having two kids makes it inevitable that they'll be disappointed
and/or jealous at times. You get used to it, and you understand your
own parents a *lot* better! LOL I would warn him that the sex could be
either way, during the activities mentioned above, and I would let him
know that if you can find out in advance, you will. Then, when you
know, tell him. If it's a boy, tell him in an upbeat way, that points
out a plus..."Well, it turns out you're going to have a brother. I
guess that means that when he grows a bit there'll be someone to (go
to cubs, play soccer, whatever activity B's into) with! (We don't
need to get into the fact that girls play soccer too....LOL)

Wow... I really do think I've lost my mind...

Of course you have. You're pregnant with your second. I remember it
well....

[g]

Good luck. Hopefully I'll see you in Edmonton soon!

Cele
Old March 3rd 05, 04:21 PM
Karen

CME wrote:
No you haven't, you're just pregnant. lol But Kat, don't bring him

with you
if you can help it. You'll need a full bladder, and the ability to

lie
still and it's more of a moment for you and your partner to share.

He will
get nothing out of it, heck I hardly saw anything with mine and there

were 2
of them.

Perhaps go to the library and get some books that are age appropriate

read to him. I would just answer his questions as they came along...

but if
you think he's a handful now, wait until the baby is born and he'll

think
it's a new doll. lol

My coworker, who is expecting, brought her 4 year old girl to the
ultrasound last week. When the technician announced that they were
going to have a baby girl arriving, the big sister to be screamed and
cried and hid under the table, wouldn't come out and said she didn't
like the doctor.

She really, really wanted to have a baby brother and is tootin' mad
that she's getting another sister.

Karen

Old March 3rd 05, 08:14 PM
xkatx

"CME" wrote in message

"xkatx" wrote in message
[...]

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

No you haven't, you're just pregnant. lol But Kat, don't bring him with
you if you can help it. You'll need a full bladder, and the ability to
lie still and it's more of a moment for you and your partner to share. He
will get nothing out of it, heck I hardly saw anything with mine and there
were 2 of them.

lol Well, he's not in daycare anymore, and any babysitters I have (mom,
aunt, etc.) all work during the day. So, we're together all day, including
shopping times, nap times, running errands, everything. But, I called my
grandma this morning and she said she had nothing planned and was actually
just going to go out for something to do, but said she could take him and he
could stay with her. So I found him somewhere to go.
I'm not sure if Norm is going to come. He wants to, and I want him to, but
he's job hunting. He lost his job last week, and he's not really stopping
until he finds one, and really, I'd kind of rather him find a job than come
to an appointment. But, my appointment isn't until 3, and if he hasn't
found something before that, chances are he'll just go out again tomorrow
morning.
And, really, I know what you mean about not seeing much. I actually can't
see a damn thing with ultrasounds until I browse through pictures online of
pictures from about 30 weeks and up... lol It just looks like blobs of
nothing to me, really.

Perhaps go to the library and get some books that are age appropriate to
read to him. I would just answer his questions as they came along... but
if you think he's a handful now, wait until the baby is born and he'll
think it's a new doll. lol

lol Yes, if I didn't owe the library over $80 from about 3 years ago, I'd
go. I think we'll have to spend an afternoon sitting at Chapter's where you
can pretty much sit and read an entire book without having to buy it. Or
maybe the afternoon at a library just 'researching' and not actually taking
anything out. lol
He seems to be pretty good with babies, though. Have to wait and see,
though

Christine

Old March 3rd 05, 08:14 PM
xkatx

"Karen" wrote in message
oups.com...

CME wrote:
[...]

Hahah I would kill him if he did that. I can actually see myself doing that
before Bran would! lol

Old March 3rd 05, 08:52 PM
CME

"xkatx" wrote in message
[...]

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

[...]

I do believe your fines are forgiven after a few years, don't quote me
though, I could be wrong. Phone them, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Christine

Old March 3rd 05, 09:18 PM
xkatx

"xkatx" wrote in message
[...]

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

[...]

That would be nice... Last time I was there to see how much a new card would
cost, since my card ran out ages ago, they told me something like $10, but
that I also had some late fees that needed to be paid up first. I don't
really want to scam something like the public library for some late fee
charges, I just really don't have the money to pay them up right now, and
haven't for the last little while.
I could always make an anonymous call, just asking. lol

Old March 4th 05, 08:06 AM
xkatx

"Cele" wrote in message
On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 06:27:22 GMT, "xkatx"
wrote:

[...]

[...]

Yea, I think one day soon, or maybe the next time he has a question and
brings it up, we can spend a bit of time down here looking at some pictures,
or even reading some short articles together. I did order this big
ultrasound picture (my lord, $15 for a stupid picture?? I recall my mom
saying they were free when I, and my brothers, were all born) and I could
actually see something out of it... Then again, there was "HEAD", "BODY",
"LEG", etc., posted right beside whatever it really was, which helped me
see.

2) I read her books about new babies coming home. There are billions
in the kids' section at Chapters, or wherever. They really do help.

I suppose that's something else we could do one afternoon as well. I know
it couldn't hurt any, so it might be something fun to do.

3) I let her feel the baby kick - which she did a lot of! Kicking, I
mean. LOL

Yea, I feel that a lot inside, but not really outside yet. I remember when
Bran would kick and push and I could feel and felt like I could almost grab
his foot kicking out at me. So far, I can just sort of feel it all the time
inside, or when I push hard on my stomach, I think I can feel some sort of
resistance every now and then.

4) I talked about the baby. As in, "Oh, gee, I don't think I'll eat
that, the baby might not like it," or, "Hmm, that baby must be wide
awake, 'cause there sure is a lot of kicking," or whatever. That made
the baby's presence more real.

I've been doing that for a while. I don't think he really understands, or
really cares too much right now yet.

5) I pointed out other people's tiny babies when we were out and
about, so there wouldn't be any big surprise that the baby wouldn't
come out ready to play with her.

Oh yea... We went out for dinner last night to the pizza place down the
block, and just by chance, a whole group of people came in and filled half
the restaurant. I think I counted 5 newborns in the group, and I told Norm
I wanted one, and Bran said he did too and he did take note of the babies
since he kept reminding us every time a baby cried or was being carried
around or lifted or held within his sight.

6) I took her to see the newborn nursery at the hospital.

I've actually never thought of that...

7) I included her in the organisation of diaper table, crib setup,
clothes, etc. We had snacks and fun times while we did this so she'd
enjoy the experience.

That sounds like a good idea, only something that will have to wait a
while... I'm actually still not sure of what we're even going to do about
that situation... This is only a 2 bedroom place, and there's no way I'd put
a newborn in with B for so many obvious reasons... Also, the master bedroom
is so small. Well, I think it might be average, but I have a king size bed
that takes up 90% of the room. Today, I was at Zellers and saw this little
bassinette thing. Had a bed part and was on a stand with locking wheels and
all that, and even though I have a crib, I was thinking for the first little
while, this might be easier and more convenient. It could fit just fine
right beside me by the bed, and it doesn't take up all the room a crib
does... Plus, infants don't take up 1/5th of a crib. But maybe he could
come shopping for that with me, if that's what we decide on, and even
shopping for small items that will be needed, and maybe let him even pick
out a few outfits and all that when the time comes, maybe even the outfit to
go home from the hospital or something, just so he can feel proud or
whatever for picking out what the baby wears home. Maybe even a new outfit
for him for that same day to feel like a special big brother? I don't know.

8) When the baby was born, I gave her the gift of a realistic baby
doll, so she could dress it and care for it while I changed diapers
and so forth. If you aren't keen to give your son a doll, it's still
not a bad idea for him to have some kind of a gift so that he feels
celebratory rather than ignored as a result of the baby's arrival.
Others may disagree, but it worked for me.

Well, actually, I've been wanting to get him a little "boy" doll since his
first Christmas. I think I read or heard somewhere that boys who are able
to do something like treat a toy doll well often end up growing up to be, I
don't know, more gentle or something? I can't remember exactly where or
what I read, but I do remember something about boys having a doll of their
own doesn't hurt or turn them gay or into a sissy or anything, and that it
just can help to get them to more understand something like respect for
others, or something. Seriously don't remember exactly what it was, but it
seemed like something that didn't appear to be a horrible idea. Almost my
whole family figured I could do that over their dead bodies, so I guess
because of everyone thinking and acting so negative about it, I disregarded
the whole idea. I figured their negativity would probably be the worst part
of it.

[...]

Well, I've always said when talking to him, "Your brother or sister" and
have yet to ever say "he" or "she" or anything like that.

Wow... I really do think I've lost my mind...

Of course you have. You're pregnant with your second. I remember it
well....

Third pregnancy, but this will only be second parenting experience,
since B's older bro lives just out of the city, and I really think he's too
young to understand any of that part right now. But with a baby brother or
sister, plus him, I really don't want to lose my mind!

[g]

Good luck. Hopefully I'll see you in Edmonton soon!

Cele

Thanks, I know I need it! I'm always in the city. I can't seem to find a
way to get out of it! Let me know when and where
I'm free basically 24/7 now that I'm staying home.

Old March 5th 05, 04:48 AM
CME

"xkatx" wrote in message
[...]

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

[...]

to read to him. I would just answer his questions as they came
[...]

Oh btw they give free cards to people who can't afford to pay the yearly
fee.

Christine

Old March 5th 05, 02:59 PM
xkatx

"xkatx" wrote in message
[...]

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

[...]

Are you serious? Last year I was at the mall and this is when I stopped to
see about those charges, and when I clearly had a look of shock on my face
after asking about late charges and then yearly card fees, the lady said
nothing at all. I said I have very little money extra to spend, and the
lady just kind of passed me off.
I think I'll go in and see about a free card! Thanks!