NewsChannel 11 Investigates: Are Lubbock TX, Children Falling Throughthe Cracks of CPS?

Old May 15th 07, 09:19 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
fx

Default NewsChannel 11 Investigates: Are Lubbock TX, Children Falling Throughthe Cracks of CPS?

NewsChannel 11 Investigates: Are Lubbock Children Falling Through the
Cracks of CPS?

http://www.kcbd.com/global/story.asp?s=6515217

More than 9,000 reports of child abuse and neglect were recorded for
Lubbock last year. But we found out by looking at the 2006 data book
that over half of those cases, 5,300 of them, were ruled as unconfirmed
cases. That means staff either couldn't find enough evidence a child
was in danger or that staff was unable to complete its investigation.
Could that mean there are children falling through the cracks of the system?

Four-year-old David loves to do a lot of things. He loves to show off
his truck, play with Matchbox cars and thinks goldfish are pretty
interesting. But beneath his smile, you would never know he is a little
boy caught up in a system his grandparents feel is failing him.

"Every child deserves to be raised in a good and decent home," said
Melinda Raymer, David's Step-Grandmother.

Melinda and Ronnie Raymer have custody of their grandson. They have
spent most of their time and money in and out of the court system. They
were hoping CPS could help them, but Melinda says it is only adding to
her frustration.

"I'm a little concerned about some discrepancies that we've come across
since then," said Melinda.

Two years ago, Melinda made a report to CPS about the filthy living
conditions at David's parent's house in Littlefield. A Littlefield
caseworker was assigned and found the risk at the house to have a,
"significant history but all cases have been ruled out." But another
report in Lubbock said something completely different.

"The Lubbock case states, two different places in there we found where
they said there were risk factors for the children to be at home and
there was a risk factor with him not having supervision, that it was
neglectful," said Melinda, "But at the end of the report it says no risk
factors assessed. To me, that's confusing," she added.

To add to the confusion, Melinda's Littlefield caseworker would not be
testifying at a scheduled court hearing. Last year, David was attacked
by his parents' pit bull. He still has the eight staples in his head
where the dog bit him. Melinda wanted David's visits to his parent's
house changed to supervised visits to Lubbock. But the caseworker who
had been employed with the agency 14 years no longer works for CPS.

"We asked what happens now because that was very vital to our case. She
said, well, I don't know. They're having another caseworker look at it.
They haven't been able to find all the notes. That really threw us for a
loop because it's like wait a minute, this is a government agency.
Those notes should be accessible by anyone, her supervisor, anyone,"
said Melinda.

There are other cases like the Raymer's. "I think it's become more about
the system," said a concerned foster parent, resulting in the same
frustration.

"They aren't always truthful about the status of a child when you're
asked to accept a child into your home," said this woman.

She is a foster parent for CPS ready to adopt her foster child. She
requested we conceal her identity. She's upset with CPS because she was
told her foster child would soon be available to adopt.

"(The) parental rights were just about to get terminated and we would
get to immediately adopt. We kept seeing there were problems and why
hasn't it happened yet? Then months later, it was if we never had the
conversations about adopting that child," said the woman.

Now, she says her foster child may have to go back with his biological
parents. That raises more questions for this woman.

"I know CPS's goal is reunification. That's what we were told during our
training. But we never thought they would reunify when there are still
questions of safety. What we're seeing is that this list of requirements
they give parents to do doesn't have to be completed," she said.

Both families you've just heard from feel the system is not working for
the best interest of the children. They're concerned if other families
are being treated this way, a child is going to either get hurt or
return to a home that is potentially dangerous.

"I know we're not the only case. I know that. I know they say they're
overworked, but to us this is very important. One child that falls
through the cracks is one too many," said Melinda.

CPS spokesman Greg Cunningham says they know they're not perfect and
they make mistakes. But while CPS is trying to continue improving the
system, they want to hear from people having difficulty with the system.
Call the Offices of Consumer Affairs at 1-800-720-7777. You can also
make (online) complaints.

NewsChannel 11 called Representative Carl Isett's office and found out
the entire Department of Family Protective Services is up for a review
in two years. That is a time when state lawmakers take every complaint
they receive and decide if the department needs to be revamped.

If you feel like your complaint is serious, call your state representatives.

* Carl Isett (512)463-0676
* Delwin Jones (512) 463-0542
* Senator Robert Duncan (512)463- 0128

KCBD viewers have also called in to complain that we check in to the
Report Abuse Hotline.

CPS says they have 282 people answering phone calls. In April 2006,
they answered 38,430 calls to the hotline. This April, the calls
significantly increased to 46,788.

CPS says they have asked for 92 more positions to help with the
answering calls. They say the average waiting time is 12.4 minutes.
Their busiest hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. It is a 24-hour
hotline.

CURRENTLY CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES VIOLATES MORE CIVIL RIGHTS ON A
DAILY BASIS THEN ALL OTHER AGENCIES COMBINED INCLUDING THE NATIONAL
SECURITY AGENCY/CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY WIRETAPPING PROGRAM....

CPS Does not protect children...
It is sickening how many children are subject to abuse, neglect and even
killed at the hands of Child Protective Services.

every parent should read this .pdf from
connecticut dcf watch...

http://www.connecticutdcfwatch.com/8x11.pdf

http://www.connecticutdcfwatch.com

Number of Cases per 100,000 children in the US
These numbers come from The National Center on
Child Abuse and Neglect in Washington. (NCCAN)
Recent numbers have increased significantly for CPS

*Perpetrators of Maltreatment*

Physical Abuse CPS 160, Parents 59
Sexual Abuse CPS 112, Parents 13
Neglect CPS 410, Parents 241
Fatalities CPS 6.4, Parents 1.5

Imagine that, 6.4 children die at the hands of the very agencies that
are supposed to protect them and only 1.5 at the hands of parents per
100,000 children. CPS perpetrates more abuse, neglect, and sexual abuse
and kills more children then parents in the United States. If the
citizens of this country hold CPS to the same standards that they hold
parents too. No judge should ever put another child in the hands of ANY
government agency because CPS nationwide is guilty of more harm and
death than any human being combined. CPS nationwide is guilty of more
human rights violations and deaths of children then the homes from which
they were removed. When are the judges going to wake up and see that
they are sending children to their death and a life of abuse when
children are removed from safe homes based on the mere opinion of a
bunch of social workers.

BE SURE TO FIND OUT WHERE YOUR CANDIDATES STANDS ON THE ISSUE OF
REFORMING OR ABOLISHING CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES ("MAKE YOUR CANDIDATES
TAKE A STAND ON THIS ISSUE.") THEN REMEMBER TO VOTE ACCORDINGLY IF THEY
ARE "FAMILY UNFRIENDLY" IN THE NEXT ELECTION...