Thumb sucking (poo mentioned)

Old September 6th 03, 10:48 AM
Shunaari

Default Thumb sucking (poo mentioned)

My son is 11 weeks old and has begun to suck his thumb. When I see
him, I move his hand away, but when I am not around he is sucking it
vigurously. Why is he doing it at such young age? I wanted to
introduce a pacifier, but will he accept it? Will sucking the
thumb/pacifier interfere with his feeding?

This is really worrying me as over the past 24 hours, he seems to be
losing interest in taking the breast when he is hungry. He is taking
preference to the bottle. If I feed him during the night when he is
still very sleepy, he takes the breast but during the day, when he is
wide awake - he will not take the breast.

Please help me - I am getting really really worried.

Also, he is only pooing every 2-3 days. Docs and health visitor say
its OK, but I am really concerned as my son used to poo 3-4 times a
day. When he does poo, its paste like, but before it was watery with
tiny yellow seedy bits in it. I try water, but he doesnt like water.
Old September 6th 03, 02:06 PM
Rob and Laura

1st off why is he getting the bottle? You might want to stop that if you
can. That will only make things harder.

As far as thumb sucking goes, my daugher who is almost 7 months old has been
doing it from day one (amazing enough she was born with her thumb in her
mouth). I let her suck her thumb for one reason only, she puts her own
thumb in her mouth when she feels like it and takes it out when she wants.
I am not the one giving her the pacifier to put in there. You know if
babies are hungry they will eat and will tell you in many different ways.
Its not going to stop them from eating.

He may not be hungry when you think he is, you said hes loosing interest in
the breast when he is hungry. Maybe he just needs a diaper change, or too
hot or too cold, or just wants to be held, it could be other numerous
things.

Your sons bowel movements will also change. From color, to texture to
everything. And its also okay if he goes days with out having one. As long
as hes having lots of wet diapers thats great. Izabella use to go 4-5 days
with out having one, and than it would go to 1 every day. It will change
so try not to worry about it. If hes straining and having a hard time
passing his poop than I would be worried. But it sounds to be okay.

Try not to worry. Let your son suck his thumb if he wants to, and believe
me when hes hungry he WILL let you know some how!! Good Luck

--
Laura
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**

om...

Old September 6th 03, 02:57 PM
iphigenia

Shunaari wrote:
My son is 11 weeks old and has begun to suck his thumb. When I see
him, I move his hand away, but when I am not around he is sucking it
vigurously. Why is he doing it at such young age? I wanted to
introduce a pacifier, but will he accept it? Will sucking the
thumb/pacifier interfere with his feeding?

Young age? LOL. Babies have been seen on ultrasound sucking their thumbs in
utero.
He, like all babies, is comforted by sucking and is no doubt thrilled that
he's got something to suck so readily available.
Sucking on something other than the breast may reduce his interest in
nursing just for comfort (nonnutritive nursing) but he's certainly not going
to suck on a thumb/paci when he is hungry.

This is really worrying me as over the past 24 hours, he seems to be
losing interest in taking the breast when he is hungry. He is taking
preference to the bottle.

I doubt this has anything to do with the thumb-sucking. Nipple preference
can happen at any age. Is there a reason you need to be giving bottles at
all? If he's developing an artificial nipple preference, you might want to
withhold them at least for a while.

This would actually be in my mind a good reason not to try to replace the
thumb with a pacifier; a pacifier is another artificial nipple and you want
to avoid artificial nipple preference.

Some people prefer their babies to use pacifiers rather than thumbs, stating
that it's easier to take a pacifier away. The converse is that it's also
easy to lose a pacifier inadvertently. Additionally, thumb sucking tends to
be a behavior that resolves itself before it becomes a problem socially or
dentally. I'm sure there are people here who could chime in with examples of
kids who sucked their thumbs until they were ten, but statistically the vast
majority of kids stop doing it in early childhood.

If I feed him during the night when he is
still very sleepy, he takes the breast but during the day, when he is
wide awake - he will not take the breast.

Sounds like he likes bottles better.

Also, he is only pooing every 2-3 days. Docs and health visitor say
its OK, but I am really concerned as my son used to poo 3-4 times a
day. When he does poo, its paste like, but before it was watery with
tiny yellow seedy bits in it. I try water, but he doesnt like water.

He should NOT be getting water; it is not good for young babies. It can fill
up his tummy, making him not hungry for the calories he needs, and can upset
his electrolyte balance. It's totally normal for bowel movement patterns to
change. *Most* babies will stop pooping all the time and move to a pattern
of pooping more infrequently - from every couple days up to every couple
weeks is entirely typical. What you are describing is very typical breastfed
baby poop.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old September 6th 03, 08:05 PM
Truffles

Shunaari wrote:

Ok I understand what you are all saying that I shouldnt give him the
bottle, but I only give it once or twice in the mornings when I can do
the housework while my husband is at home before he sets off to work
early afternoon. This routine has worked well ever since birth. How
can I fix it now? I am trying not to give him the bottle at all, but
he cries so much when I try to put him on the breast. As I said, night
times isnt a problem, its only during the day.

Please advise me on how I can go back..... Its only been a day and I
cant stop worrying about it. I wanted to nurse my son for atleast 6
months.....

It sounds like he is developing "bottle preference" and more than likely
it will go one way or the other. IOW, if you continue with the one or
two bottles, he will end up having bottles and you will be pumping
because he won't nurse anymore. Or, you stop all bottles. I don't
think you'll be able to switch back and forth with your son.

JMO,

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old September 6th 03, 10:23 PM
CY

"Shunaari" wrote:

"Ok I understand what you are all saying that I shouldnt give him the
bottle, but I only give it once or twice in the mornings when I can do the
housework while my husband is at home before he sets off to work early
afternoon. This routine has worked well ever since birth. "

But it's not working any more, is it? Babies will develop a bottle
preference (especiall around the 4 mth mark) because it's easier for them to
get the milk from the bottle. If housework is important to you, could you
perhaps wear him in a sling and nurse him while you continue?

"How can I fix it now? I am trying not to give him the bottle at all, but he
cries so much when I try to put him on the breast. As I said, night times
isnt a problem, its only during the day."
"Please advise me on how I can go back..... Its only been a day and I cant
stop worrying about it. I wanted to nurse my son for atleast 6 months....."

It sounds like nursing him until 6 months is your priority right now, so if
I were you I would stop bottles because he is developing a preference and
the only way you can "fix it now" is by not giving him artificial nipples
(pacifier included). A thumb is MUCH better than a pacifier and like the
others have said, he won't suck on it if he truly is hungry. If you really
must have your hubby give him his feeds, use a different method, like
syringe or finger feeders which are far less likely to cause problems.
That's the ONLY way you are going to fix this problem. You may have to
listen to him cry for a little bit but it is for his own good. It does not
sound like you will be able to exclusively pump for him given your routine.
If I were you, I would have a couple of days where you ONLY nurse and get
him back to the breast full-time. Have your husband do the housework for
those couple of days or just leave it. In 5 years time, do you really want
to look back on this time and say "My baby weaned himself at 11 weeks, but
my house was really clean"? The house can wait, your baby needs you more
than the house does right now.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but your baby is what's important. If he really
won't go back to the breast while he's awake, you might want to be seen by a
Lactation Consultant, as they can really help in these kinds of
situations...

Old September 8th 03, 06:36 PM
Larry McMahan

Shunaari writes:
: My son is 11 weeks old and has begun to suck his thumb. When I see
: him, I move his hand away, but when I am not around he is sucking it
: vigurously. Why is he doing it at such young age? I wanted to
: introduce a pacifier, but will he accept it? Will sucking the
: thumb/pacifier interfere with his feeding?

What is your strong objections to thumb sucking? I don't see it as
much different from the pacifier. Clara sucked her fingers from
birth until about 9 months, then suddenly dropped it. I think it is
best to ignore it than to make a fuss.

: This is really worrying me as over the past 24 hours, he seems to be
: losing interest in taking the breast when he is hungry. He is taking
: preference to the bottle. If I feed him during the night when he is
: still very sleepy, he takes the breast but during the day, when he is
: wide awake - he will not take the breast.

Why are you using a bottle at all? Are you supplementing with EBM or
formula? Would he take the breast if you refused to give him a bottle?

: Please help me - I am getting really really worried.

You need to post more details.

: Also, he is only pooing every 2-3 days. Docs and health visitor say
: its OK, but I am really concerned as my son used to poo 3-4 times a
: day. When he does poo, its paste like, but before it was watery with
: tiny yellow seedy bits in it. I try water, but he doesnt like water.

You should not be feeding either water or formula to a breastfed infant.
Only nurse.

Good luck,
Larry