Music Lesson Fees

Old September 26th 05, 12:50 PM
MelisaK

Default Music Lesson Fees

I have just started looking into saxophone lessons for my 11yo DS1. Does
anyone have any idea what a 30 min. weekly lesson should run (approx)?
Just trying to get a general idea. Also, my 7yo DS2 is interested in piano
lessons - does anyone have any ballpark suggested fees for that as well? I
am in the New England area.

TIA!

Melis

Old September 26th 05, 01:03 PM
MsLiz

MelisaK wrote:
I have just started looking into saxophone lessons for my 11yo DS1. Does
anyone have any idea what a 30 min. weekly lesson should run (approx)?
Just trying to get a general idea. Also, my 7yo DS2 is interested in piano
lessons - does anyone have any ballpark suggested fees for that as well? I
am in the New England area.

TIA!

Melis

My daughter takes piano lessons: $55.00 per month for 30 minutes at
teacher's house. I took lessons with her last year and it was 75 per
month for 45 minute lesson.

Old September 26th 05, 01:21 PM
Banty

In article , MelisaK says...

I have just started looking into saxophone lessons for my 11yo DS1. Does
anyone have any idea what a 30 min. weekly lesson should run (approx)?
Just trying to get a general idea. Also, my 7yo DS2 is interested in piano
lessons - does anyone have any ballpark suggested fees for that as well? I
am in the New England area.

I paid $26 per half hour for saxophone lessons in upstate NY.

Banty

Old September 26th 05, 01:47 PM
Ericka Kammerer

MsLiz wrote:
MelisaK wrote:

I have just started looking into saxophone lessons for my 11yo DS1. Does
anyone have any idea what a 30 min. weekly lesson should run (approx)?
Just trying to get a general idea. Also, my 7yo DS2 is interested in piano
lessons - does anyone have any ballpark suggested fees for that as well? I
am in the New England area.

My daughter takes piano lessons: $55.00 per month for 30 minutes at
teacher's house. I took lessons with her last year and it was 75 per
month for 45 minute lesson.

Wow, that's cheap.

Lessons vary a lot in price, depending on the area and
on the teacher. First things first, I would really question
a 30 minute lesson for an 11yo. You can't cover much of anything
in 30 minutes. I'd do 45 minutes at that age to be able to get a
decent lesson in. But that's just my opinion.

Around here (metro DC area), I would expect to pay
around $100-150+/month for a 30-60 minute lesson with a
"professional" teacher. By "professional," I mean someone
who has an active studio with opportunities for performances
and group events and a real theory of how to teach the
instrument, rather than someone who teaches the odd lesson
and just reacts to whatever the student presents with.
Our piano teacher charges $130/month for 45 minute lessons
plus about $30/year in music.

Most teachers, especially professional teachers,
will require monthly payments. If you miss lessons, you
pay for them anyway (though most teachers will allow one
or two makeups during a year). You may also pay a music
fee, depending on whether you go out and buy music or
whether the teacher provides the music for you.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old September 26th 05, 02:10 PM
MelisaK

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
MsLiz wrote:
MelisaK wrote:

[...]

Thanks Ericka. My 11yo has just joined band in his middle school this
year - in fact he just got his saxophone last week. His band teacher
recommended that the kids get private lessons as well if that is possible,
the teacher will also meet with them outside of school (before and after) to
do some further practicing. The person that we are looking at for private
lessons is a part-time band teacher at another area school and has
recommended that he start with 30 min. weekly then work his way up to 45-60
min. The middle school that my son attends also provides numerous
opportunities and events with our local Youth Symphony Orchestra so I am
very pleased with that. This is just all so new for us so I want to make
sure that we are making informed decisions. Same goes for DS2 and piano
lessons.

Melis

Old September 26th 05, 02:13 PM
MelisaK

"MsLiz" wrote in message
oups.com...

MelisaK wrote:
I have just started looking into saxophone lessons for my 11yo DS1. Does
anyone have any idea what a 30 min. weekly lesson should run (approx)?
Just trying to get a general idea. Also, my 7yo DS2 is interested in
piano
lessons - does anyone have any ballpark suggested fees for that as well?
am in the New England area.

TIA!

Melis

My daughter takes piano lessons: $55.00 per month for 30 minutes at
teacher's house. I took lessons with her last year and it was 75 per
month for 45 minute lesson.

There is a retired music teacher in our neighborhood who offers piano
lessons and I am thinking that might be a good place to start for DS2. Do
you also have a piano at home? We don't have one so I would definitely have
to take him to a place that did have one. Does anyone have experience with
the newer keyboards that they have now? We looked at some and it was
amazing how much they sounded like a traditional piano.

Melis

Old September 26th 05, 02:17 PM
MelisaK

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , MelisaK says...

I have just started looking into saxophone lessons for my 11yo DS1. Does
anyone have any idea what a 30 min. weekly lesson should run (approx)?
Just trying to get a general idea. Also, my 7yo DS2 is interested in
piano
lessons - does anyone have any ballpark suggested fees for that as well?
am in the New England area.

I paid $26 per half hour for saxophone lessons in upstate NY.

Banty

That is in the same range that we were quoted. We must be close to each
other - I'm in VT!

Thanks - Melis

Old September 26th 05, 02:24 PM
Clisby

MelisaK wrote:
I have just started looking into saxophone lessons for my 11yo DS1. Does
anyone have any idea what a 30 min. weekly lesson should run (approx)?
Just trying to get a general idea. Also, my 7yo DS2 is interested in piano
lessons - does anyone have any ballpark suggested fees for that as well? I
am in the New England area.

TIA!

Melis

I paid $25 per half-hour for piano lessons in Atlanta. In this case,
the teacher came to my daughter's school one afternoon a week and gave
private lessons to 4-5 children. He also gave lessons at home, but I
don't know whether the fee was any different.

Clisby
Old September 26th 05, 02:39 PM
shinypenny

MelisaK wrote:
There is a retired music teacher in our neighborhood who offers piano
lessons and I am thinking that might be a good place to start for DS2. Do
you also have a piano at home? We don't have one so I would definitely have
to take him to a place that did have one. Does anyone have experience with
the newer keyboards that they have now? We looked at some and it was
amazing how much they sounded like a traditional piano.

My DD's both started four years ago, at $18 for 30 minutes each child
once a week, private lessons with a retired music teacher. DD11
eventually chose to give it up. DD12 continued onward, but increased
her lesson to a full hour and the price went up so we're now paying $42
a week just for her lesson alone. She plays beautifully, however, and
practices daily so I don't mind the expense. It's been well worth it!!

Her dad and I share custody 50-50. At his house, she has a real piano
to practice on. At our house, there's no room so we have one of those
keyboards. After taking lessons for four years, the keyboard is no
longer sufficient for practice (she does anyway, but it's not the
same). I'm no piano expert myself, so I can't tell you why that is... I
just know that practice on the keyboard is simply not the same, at her
current level of expertise.

Now DD is talking about taking up guitar instead of piano, so we're
going to see (we can't afford lessons for both, so she will have to
make a tough choice). I would say keyboard makes sense if you are not
sure the child is going to stick with it over the long run, but if your
child does, eventually you may have to bite the bullet and get a real
piano.

You will definetly have to get *something* for home, because if your
child never practices, you're essentially wasting your money.

jen

Old September 26th 05, 03:22 PM
MelisaK

"shinypenny" wrote in message
ups.com...

MelisaK wrote:
[...]

Great advice - thanks so much! I think we will definitely start out with a
keyboard, he will need something to practice on. And to think - my
husband's parents gave away his grandmother's piano because no one wanted it
at the time, it was before we had kids and had no place to put it!

My DS1 started playing guitar in music class - just the bare basics but he
likes it a lot. My brother is a semi-professional guitar player and would
be perfect to give DS lessons too but he lives 700 miles away! I wish your
DD good luck on her decision.

Melis