nuchal fold in 20 week ultrasound causing distress

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 16th 05, 06:09 PM
k_raps73

Default nuchal fold in 20 week ultrasound causing distress

I recently had my ultrasound at 19 weeks and 6 days. The baby's
maeasurements indicated that he was bigger than the gestational estimated
date that was calculted. My doctor told me the baby was measuring at 20
weeks and 5 days. Everything was normal, i.e. his limbs, spine, brain and
heart. My quad test which was done at 16 and a half weeks came back
negative as well (normal). However the doctor noted that there was one
abnormality in the ultrasound and that was a nuchal fold found at the back
of my baby's head which measured much bigger than it should for a 19 week
and 6 day old baby! She said this could be a marker for a downs baby. She
offered us the option of an amniosynthesis and even abortion at a later
part if we choose to. I was apalled and very much distressed. I told her
that my quad test results were good and that there was no history of downs
in my or my husband's family. She told me that chances of me having a
downs baby was 1 out of 47. They want me to come back for an ECG of my
baby's heart in 5 weeks which I am going to do. I even asked the doctor if
the measurement of the nuchal fold was bigger because the baby was much
bigger than the calculated due date.She said that the measuremnt would
have not mattered had the baby been 20 weeks or more (as per his
measurements and not the previously calculated date of 19 weeks and 6
days).I cried when I came out of that doctor's office and having been
trying to stay positive. I console myself with the fact that the
ultrasound images look normal and my quad tests were negative. However I
am still so worried, I can't sleep and need advice on this topic.