Proud To Be Single Parent !!!!!!

Old August 18th 04, 09:50 PM
Carrie

Default Proud To Be Single Parent !!!!!!

There is a lot of negativity flying around about single parents and i
don't really understand it. I am single and PROUD of the fact that take
care of my children alone. I didn't choose to do it alone and i don't
see it any differently then if the other parent had died. I live in a
small old fashioned community that has a lot of conservative elderly
people. These people who were raised strict catholics don't look down on
me for being alone or having children without being married. In fact,
they are proud of me as well. They see that i am stronger then most and
do the work of two. They see the love, care, attention, and affection
that i give double. They see my struggles and pains and my refusal to
give up. It doesn't matter what a troll or flamer has to say. They are
unaware of what we go through. They also don't know the posative that
comes from it. My daughter is only 6 and already she had told me that
she prefers to have one great parent then two lousy ones. Hold your head
up high and be proud.

Old August 18th 04, 10:22 PM
CME

"Carrie" wrote in message
[...]

I wouldn't say I'm proud for having children out of wedlock, I would have
much rather had a lovely, responsible husband and done the whole traditional
bit... but since I didn't, and I can't change the past, I am proud of the
fact I'm doing the best job I can.

Christine

Old August 19th 04, 04:00 AM
Zoey

"CME" wrote in message

"Carrie" wrote in message
[...]

Being a single mother is not ideal but I'll tell you something - I
rather be a single mother than to not have given birth to my son. He makes
it all worth it, even when he's throwing a temper tantrum and I'm dead
tired. If I could do it all over again, I'd do it the same way. I'm glad I
didn't get married because I'm sure it's a hassle getting divorced.

Old August 19th 04, 04:23 AM
Betsy

"Carrie" wrote in message
[...]

I'm proud of the job I'm doing as a single parent, but I wouldn't have
chosen single parenting. I made bad decisions when I was younger, and now
my son has to live with choices I made. I was with a man who was unable to
think of anyone but himself, and was abusive when things didn't go his way.
Am I glad I got out? YES! Am I glad I raise my son alone? Given the
choice I had at the time, yes I am. Would I do things differently if I
could. DEFINITELY! There are so many times I wish I weren't a single
parent. It's not an easy job, but for me it was better to be single than
dead. As my son gets older, he discovers more about himself, and I'm
certain he thinks about his father. He's asked questions, and I've answered
them the best way I know how. I still feel it's a little early for him to
make contact again, but my son knows if he wants to contact his dad, all he
has to do is ask. I know how to find his father, and if my son wants to
send him a letter, I'm all for that. My feelings aren't my son's feelings.
I have to look at what is best for my child, whether or not I like it. My
son's dad chose to terminate parental rights, and contact. However, when he
did so, he stated he would "have no contact with J**** until such time as he
(the child) chose to do so." That leaves it up to my son, and when he feels
the need, I will get him the information. So far my son has digested the
information, or is still processing it. The teen years are a rough time. I
would hate to see my son gain his father's outlook on treating women,
however as far as I know that may have changed. My son has a good
foundation and solid family ties from my side of the family. He's seen my
father and my brother in their relationships with women. He knows his
grandpa and grandma have been married a long time, and how much they love
one another. My son does not remember his father and I being together. He
was only a year old when we separated. I had support from my parents, and
friends. So have I raised my son totally alone? No I have not. I would
have done so if I needed to, but I'm so glad I didn't. He's turned into a
wonderful young man, and I'm proud to be his mom. I get compliments from
others about how courteous, caring and helpful he is. So even though I
didn't choose single parenting, I think I'm doing a pretty good job. I used
to say to myself, "the next time I have a kid, I'm going to do it right."
Well, it's been 12 years, and there's not another child, so I guess I'm
doing that right. Just my rambling thoughts, I probably made very little
sense. I also gave a load of information, some of you have heard it before.

Sorry for the ramble.
Betsy

Old August 19th 04, 04:51 AM
P. Fritz

"lm" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 21:23:33 GMT, 'Kate wrote:

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:50:12 -0400, (Carrie)
wrote:

[...]

Oh I sure wish you hadn't posted that. I disagree with so much of it
that I can't even begin to respond.

Kate just stick with the second-to-last sentence. One great parent
versus two lousy ones. She's doing her best.

Maybe.......but there is plenty of evidence that two 'lousy' parents are
still better for a child than one 'good' one.

Carrie, skim through the archives a bit for some interesting reading.

lm

Old August 19th 04, 05:50 AM
Cele

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:51:27 -0400, "P. Fritz"
claimed:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Hmmmm. I don't know.....

I'm not pretending to offer formal data here. Just my own
anecdotal experience, which you may take into account or
ignore, as you please...of course.

I was 7 and 10 months when my parents separated. My sister
was 10 months. Prior to the separation, my father was barely
around. He was in med school and working long hours, but
when he was home, things weren't good. I can remember
sitting upstairs on my bed with my mother's arms around me,
both of us sobbing while my sister slept and my father broke
a croquet mallet over the dog's back. The dog was a black
cocker spaniel called Moses; my mother got him a safe home
as soon as she possibly could.

I can remember my father coming home covered in blood and
cuts and with a cast on his hand from a barroom fight. I
remember one time when I was five and I crawled into bed
with my parents in the morning, and he was covered in cuts
and bruises, and I asked him how he'd got hurt. He told me
that another guy had been driving down the white line on the
road.....later he told me that he'd built bonfires on the
autobahn.

The Christmas I was five I remember my parents having a huge
fight. I don't know what it was about, but we were staying
with people and I remember crawling into the cupboard under
the bar in their family room to hide. My father was drunk
and my mother was frightened, and each of them stood on
either side of the bar and called to me,
"Celia....Celia....come here...come to Mommy/Daddy...." I
remember thinking very clearly that I was afraid of my
father and wanted to go to my mother but didn't dare go
anywhere because I was afraid of the repercussions. Later
that night my mother snuck me out and got us to an airport
and we flew to my grandmother's, but afterwards we went
back....

I also remember washing the car with my father and enjoying
that. I remember that I cried most of grade three because
everything seemed to big for me...and I felt overwhelmed.
That was the year that I was accelerated in school.

When my parents split up, my grandmother on my mother's side
flew out to get us, because in those days ('66) there was no
money that my mother could access to get out. My grandmother
had to finance everything. So she flew out and we got a
hotel the night before we were supposed to fly west. My
sister took her first steps in that hotel, towards my
grandmother. I went to school and was supposed to go home to
my friend's that night, but my mother came unexpectedly in a
cab and took me to the hotel instead. Later I learned that
because I had a New Zealand passport, and my father was a
Kiwi, my mother was afraid I'd be abducted because he'd
found out we were leaving. So my last memories of my friends
that day were of seing them recede in the back of the cab
window as I cried.

The next day there was a lot of high drama when they fought
over me at the airport. Nobody fought over my sister,
because she was only ten months old and a lot of work, so I
guess my father wasn't interested in her. That didn't do her
a lot of good later. He never really did get an interest in
fighting for or over her.....

Anyway, after we moved west, I lived with my mother, sister
and grandmother and for the first year I was pretty sad and
messed up. I eventually got it together, and it was really
my grandmother who provided the stability and nurturing that
we both needed. My mother went to work to support us and my
grandmother stayed home and baked cookies and things, so I
guess in some ways it was like a two parent home. But you
know, it was a whole lot better than what came before.

Later, we (my mother and sister and I) moved out on our own.
It was ok. It was stable and predictable and we saw our
grandmother regularly, and that was good. I don't feel that
my teen years were especially blighted, although like anyone
else's, they could've done with less angst. I did a lot of
care of my sister, but that's to be expected when you've got
a sister 7 years younger.

We did spend a month every summer with our father. Some
things about that were good, especially when he remarried:
we went camping, we learned to sail, I learned to eat
escargots. I hated a lot of it but I learned a lot, too.

But some things made it very clear that I would not have
wanted to live that way full time: he got drunk almost
nightly. He was volatile and destructive. He was scary.

Would I have been better off raised by my mother and father
together? I doubt it. I don't know for sure, of course, but
I doubt it.

When people start flinging statistics about, I wonder
whether they really matter very much. The statistics don't
speak to the individual situation. They don't address the
impact of being chased around the airport. They don't
address whether it's better to be there for a month and
watch your Dad cut down the neighbour's trees at three in
the morning with a chainsaw, or whether it's better to be
there all year and watch them scream at each other and see
him hit her. They don't speak to whether it hurts more to
hear a parent trash another, or watch a parent walk away
from you.

Because of that, I'm inclined to go with each person's
individual experience as they feel it. Sometimes, no doubt,
parents should be putting their children first by toughing
out an imperfect marriage. But other times, it's possible,
that they're putting their children first by leaving an
addictive one. So maybe that's an individual call.

Cele
Old August 19th 04, 04:01 PM
Carrie

Let me clear some things up...
I never said I chose to be a single mother. Both children were
conceived during long relationships. The father of my first took off
right before she was born. The father of the one inside me made some
rather horrible choices and chose a life of drugs and danger that i
could not be a part of. I was 4 weeks pregnant when i left and had no
idea because i was on the birth control. It is a shame that things
sometimes happen the way they do. But, there is nothing that can be done
to change any of it. I take what i have and make the best i can out of
it.
In my opionion two lousy parents is not better then one great one.
This child i am carrying now is guaranteed better off then if i stayed
with its father. The home became unstable and violent. The stresses of
being there would certainly be worse then the stress of being alone on
bedrest.
As for my daughter, while i am on bedrest she is with my parents
and some of the time with my sister. That is what is best for her at the
moment considering I cant even get out of bed to make her meals or take
her to the park.
I do the best i can and it is sometimes better then what two
parents can do. I work twice as hard and benefit from twice the reward.
I am not trying to say that my children are better off then they would
be in a home with a stable father but i am saying that they are better
off without the violence, drugs and crime.

Old August 19th 04, 06:28 PM
denanson

"Carrie" wrote in message

My daughter is only 6 and already she had told me that
she prefers to have one great parent then two lousy ones.

You made that up.
A six year old could not possibly have the understanding and rationale to
come to that kind of a conclusion.
I suspect that you are priming your child to suit your own personal
circumstances.

Dennis

Old August 19th 04, 08:33 PM
Carrie

I did not make anything up. My daughter is extremely intelligent and
quite independent for her age. She may only be starting the first grade
but she is already reading my parenting and baby magazines better then
my 12 year old brother. The only influencing she has had is the exposure
to as much as she can grasp educationally. I have to admit that at times
her speech and writing can be terrible but she makes up for it by
excelling in her vocabulary and comprehension. Some children are simply
more advanced in certain areas then others and that is a fact of life.

Old August 19th 04, 09:33 PM
P.Fritz

"Carrie" wrote in message
I did not make anything up. My daughter is extremely intelligent and
quite independent for her age. She may only be starting the first grade
but she is already reading my parenting and baby magazines better then
my 12 year old brother. The only influencing she has had is the exposure
to as much as she can grasp educationally. I have to admit that at times
her speech and writing can be terrible but she makes up for it by
excelling in her vocabulary and comprehension. Some children are simply
more advanced in certain areas then others and that is a fact of life.

You are FOS..............if you you don't think that she isn't telling you
want she thinks you want to hear.......from what she has picked up from
YOU.......than you have your head up your ass to far for it to matter.

Where's Bri ? Nick Single Parents 3 April 24th 04 12:27 PM
December's FAQ turtledove Single Parents 1 December 7th 03 08:37 PM
November's FAQ! turtledove Single Parents 0 November 1st 03 05:13 PM
July's FAQ! turtledove Single Parents 0 July 1st 03 09:43 PM
FAQ turtledove Single Parents 0 June 27th 03 04:14 PM