Poll: Birth Control

Old December 28th 05, 08:00 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Birth Control

Circe wrote:
What have you heard? IUDs got a really bad reputation back in the 1970s due
to a bad product called the Dalkon shield. There is a small risk of
infection immediately following insertion, but that seems to be quite rare.
Other than that, I think that IUDs generally cause fewer health problems for
women than BC pills.

Ok. And certainly it seems bc pills are risky, esp. as women age. My
point is only that there are good reasons for a couple to choose
vasectomy over either.

trifold
www.vasectomy-information.com

Old December 28th 05, 08:23 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Cathy Weeks wrote:
I think you should probably trust numbers from an independent website.
Mirena says it's more effective by a very slight margin, than
vasectomy. 99.9% effective, as opposed to 99.85% for V, and 98-99.2%
for a copper T. So I suspect that looking at a website that isn't
skewed toward one type or another is a good thing to do. ;-)

Cathy Weeks

Any report of vasectomy effectiveness needs to be looked at closely for
what it measures exactly. Does it look at reported incidences of
vasectomy failure caught at the time the semen is checked or at
pregnancies in women whose partners have been vasectomized? In the
former case, this is not a very serious form of failure, because no
harm is done, and the vasectomy procedure can be repeated. In the
latter case, does the study distinguish between pregnancies following
certification of the man's sterility and pregnancies occuring before
certification? (Many men fail to have their semen tested after
vasectomy, despite warnings, so this is potentially a major cause of
vasectomy "failure.") Likewise, does it distinguish between pregancies
post vasectomy that have been confirmed as caused by the vasectomized
man and those in which the poolboy may have played a role?

One nice feature of vasectomy is that its effectiveness can be easily
confirmed by regular semen checks. In the case of many other forms of
bc, including tubal ligation, as I understand it, an unwanted pregnancy
is the only sign.

Old December 29th 05, 12:55 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

In ,
Catherine Woodgold wrote:

*"Circe" ) writes:
* What have you heard? IUDs got a really bad reputation back in the 1970s due
* to a bad product called the Dalkon shield. There is a small risk of
* infection immediately following insertion, but that seems to be quite rare.
* Other than that, I think that IUDs generally cause fewer health problems for
* women than BC pills.
*
*My understanding is that all IUD's involve something that can be
*called infection. The uterus is normally free of bacteria, but
*there is a zone around an IUD which contains bacteria. The zone
*can vary in size and shape and type of tissue penetrated.

Can you please provide me some sort of medical reference for this? Some
sites which suggest that your statement is incorrect:

http://personalhealthzone.healtholog...zone/15450.htm
"As with all IUD's, there is a small risk - about 1 in 1000 - of infection
associated with the Mirena insertion. This is because the vagina, like the
mouth, is colonized with bacteria. If these bacteria gain access to the
normally sterile uterine cavity during IUD insertion, infection may
result. The risk of infection persists for about 6 weeks after the
insertion. For this reason, your doctor cleanses the cervix with
antiseptic prior to the insertion, and may delay the procedure until any
existing vaginal infection is cleared. To try to prevent infection, some
doctors prescribe antibiotics at the time of IUD insertion. But this may
not be necessary for women with low risk of sexually transmitted diseases,
as this practice has not been found to decrease their risk of infection."

unless you are talking about the bacteria on the tail of the IUD itself? I
agree that there are bacteria there... but I wouldn't call that a zone
around the IUD in the uterus! See:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/981200ap/canavan.html
There has been concern that the presence of a tail provides an avenue by
which vaginal pathogens can ascend into the upper genital tract. Electron
microscopy has shown that a coating builds on the tail during 12 to 14
months of use.25 This coating is usually thin and contains mostly mucus,
and cellular and bacterial debris. The intrauterine portion of the IUD
rarely contains any live bacteria. However, as the coating becomes
thicker, bacteria can be found on the tail within the uterus and on the
device itself.24 Some have theorized that, compared with the earlier
multifilament tail, the monofilament tail is associated with far less risk
of ascending infection because the total surface of the tail is exposed to
the cervical mucus, which is believed to have protective properties
against ascending infection.25 This theory is consistent with studies
showing that the Dalkon Shield presented a greater risk of ascending
infection because its multifilament tail had far less exposure to the
cervical mucus.5
--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth

Old December 29th 05, 01:00 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

In ,
Catherine Woodgold wrote:

*Well, maybe getting pregnant on the IUD is much scarier than
*getting pregant with a vasectomy. The complications for the baby
*can be rather horrible. Might be a reason it would be
*talked about more.

Assuming you're not talking about ectopic pregnancy (the risk of which is
increased with IUD) or miscarriage secondary to an attempt to continue the
pregnancy with the IUD in place or secondary to the IUD being removed....
what complications for the baby are you talking about?? I can't think of
any complication I would call a horrible complication *for the baby* other
than never getting to be born...

Old December 31st 05, 12:50 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

wrote:
I don't know of anybody is listening, but nice post.

Thank you!

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.blogspot.com

But how do we _know_ that nobody ever said on their deathbed that they
wished they'd spent more time at the office?

Old December 31st 05, 12:57 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Vasectomy (was Birth Control)

Amy wrote:

It IS reversible, you know. Reversal is even covered by some
insurance.

I didn't see this when I first posted to the thread, or I would have
replied to it then.

Vasectomy is reversible in much the same way that falling out of a
plane sans parachute is survivable: It's an outcome that's been known
to happen, but it's an extremely bad idea to get into that situation on
the assumption that you can count on that outcome.

Vasectomy reversals have something like a 50% success rate at best,
depending on all sorts of factors (the length of time since operation,
the amount of tubing snipped, the skill of the surgeon, the phase of
the moon....) _No_ man can guarantee that he's going to be in that
50%-or-less if he ever does decide to go for reversal. Any man who
does not feel confident that he never wants to father another child
should not be going for vasectomy on the basis that it can be reversed.
I would refuse to refer a patient for vasectomy if they felt this way.

What you and your husband decide about birth control is your business
(though do note that that's the plural 'your', not the singular), but
if your decision is based on the belief that it doesn't really matter
if he wants more children at any stage in the future because he can
always just get a reversal, then your facts are simply wrong.

All the best,

Sarah

Old December 31st 05, 03:13 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

What sort of birth control are you other nursing moms on?

I'm on Ortho-Micronor but I don't like it. I don't get a period, and I
am just sure that I'm going to start showing any minute now because
I've gotten pregnant again and don't realize it. I tried on a skirt
yesterday that's a little tight (odd, because I'm smaller now than I
was pre-pregnancy) and I flipped out that I might be PG again! ACK!!!
I am SO not ready. (It's probably just the X-mas cookies, I've been so
bad).

My doc wouldn't give me a diaphragm - he said that he hadn't fitted
anyone for one in 4 years, and that "no one" uses them anymore! Birth
control is now, apparently, subject to peer pressure. He said I could
have the shot or the pill. Well, I fear the shot because I've had
menstrual migraines in the past, and the shot can cause migraines, and
I don't want to put something in my body that lasts for 3 months that
could give me migraines, with no way of getting rid of it! Yikes.
I've noticed that the sponge is back on the market, and between that
and nursing I'd probably be pretty well covered, but it would be
expensive (not covered by insurance). Is there a patch that's ok while
nursing? Friends of mine have had good success with the patch.

I find myself forgetting pills, because I'm more worried about the baby
than myself at bedtime. I want something easy, don't we all. WHEN ARE
THEY GOING TO COME OUT WITH A PATCH FOR MEN?!?!?!

Thanks!
Amy

I haven't had sex since I was pregnant! That's nearly 2 1/2 years! WOW!
But, when I'm ready I think I'll have to get something that doesn't cause
weightgain. My girlfriend had an IUD put in (I had no idea they still made
them). She's quite happy.

I think that having something like that inside of me might make me feel
strange. Perhaps I should sit down with my gyn and discuss current options.

Until I shed the 40lbs I have gained, I doubt sex will be an issue for me.

~Carol Ann

Old December 31st 05, 03:40 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Carol Ann skrev:
I haven't had sex since I was pregnant! That's nearly 2 1/2 years!
WOW! But, when I'm ready I think I'll have to get something that doesn't
cause weightgain. My girlfriend had an IUD put in (I had no idea they
still made them). She's quite happy.

It's one of the most popular BC methods in Denmark, where I live. The
hormonal ones reduce your period to nearly nothing. I have a normal one.
It has been my favorite means of contraception since I was 17.

Pills aren't that favored here.

I think that having something like that inside of me might make me feel
strange. Perhaps I should sit down with my gyn and discuss current
options.

I don't feel strange. Pregnancy, on the other hand, that's weird :-) It
took me months not to feel like I had an alien inside.

Tine, Denmark
Old December 31st 05, 07:23 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Carol Ann wrote:

Until I shed the 40lbs I have gained, I doubt sex will be an issue for me.

My husband is tall, dark, and handsome, a black belt in jujitsu, a
former Eagle Scout, a rocket scientist (seriously), and the most moral,
honest, kind, wonderful person I know. He's the sort who can't live in
a big city because we'd go broke taking all of the beggars out for
lunch all the time (he has done this more than once - he doesn't just
hand them a buck, he takes them to the nearest restaurant and buys them
food). He is the most gentle, sweet, wonderful person. My best friend
says that he's an alien, because no man could possibly be so handsome,
smart, kind, and good all in one package. And he's great in bed.

And when I married him, I was 5 foot 4 and weighed 200 pounds. I've
had a baby since - and I haven't gotten any taller. I'll let you do
the math.

It's all about the inside honey. Those 40 pounds are only a problem if
you believe that they are.

Amy