Not offering solids yet?!

Old November 29th 03, 10:25 PM
Andrea

Default Not offering solids yet?!

I took Kami in for a check at the clinic, and told them (health visitor and
nursery nurse), that I was still breastfeeding, they said I was a good
example, as many moms quit early or don't even bother to try breastfeeding.
Then even before I had Kami on the scales they asked the dreaded question,
"So, is he on solids yet?".

I mentioned that we had tried Kam on solids which was a mistake, as we
mistook Kami's growth spurt and demand as needing solids, and that we
stopped. I also informed her that Kamron wasn't really a demanding feeder at
the moment, and that I saw no need for solids. She said I needed to start
solids as Kami won't be getting enough iron, so I told her I would give iron
drops if that is the case.

Her face was a picture when I told her about this newsgroup, and how many
moms here don't offer solids till much later and how I planned to hold off
as long as possible!
I pointed out that solids made Kami have a bad eczema episode, and that he
will be prone to food allergies, but then I got..
"Why not just offer a little babyrice, or mashed potato with water mixed in,
or some pureed vegetables? he won't be allergic with those"
I just left and decided that there was no point arguing with her, but I will
not be starting solids until Kam is ready.

Kami has lost 1 pound, but his activity levels are way up. He is sitting and
rolling, and gets very exited and flaps his arms and legs about. This is the
very first weight loss, so I am not worried yet.
He has dropped from the 91st centile to the 75th, but is still a good size.

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 5 months 19lbs

Old November 30th 03, 12:32 AM
Dagny

"Andrea" wrote in message
[...]

Good lord, where do they think babies got their iron from 1000 years ago
before we had iron-enriched cereals and food processors. I suppose it's
possible that humans masticated meat for their untoothed babies, but I doubt
it.

-- Dagny

Old November 30th 03, 11:19 AM
KC

I amsurprised they were so vehement. The info from my doctor said to
start from 4 - 6 months, which would not make you a late feeder yet.
I personally chose to feed my baby at 4 months, but if she had not
been soooo ready with no food allergies in our family I would have
held off.

KC

Old December 1st 03, 03:19 AM
Nevermind

"Andrea" wrote in message ...
I took Kami in for a check at the clinic, and told them (health visitor and
nursery nurse), that I was still breastfeeding, they said I was a good
example, as many moms quit early or don't even bother to try breastfeeding.
Then even before I had Kami on the scales they asked the dreaded question,
"So, is he on solids yet?".

I mentioned that we had tried Kam on solids which was a mistake, as we
mistook Kami's growth spurt and demand as needing solids, and that we
stopped. I also informed her that Kamron wasn't really a demanding feeder at
the moment, and that I saw no need for solids. She said I needed to start
solids as Kami won't be getting enough iron, so I told her I would give iron
drops if that is the case.

Yeh, they're working from outdated info. Six months is now the
recommended age to start.

Her face was a picture when I told her about this newsgroup, and how many
moms here don't offer solids till much later and how I planned to hold off
as long as possible!

I personally would not use a usenet newsgroup to back up my plans with
medical professionals. LOL! Anyway, I thought the APA was saying 6
months? Are you in the UK? I bet the pediatric association there has
also upped their recommended starting age. In case they give you
trouble again. . .

Kami has lost 1 pound, but his activity levels are way up. He is sitting and
rolling, and gets very exited and flaps his arms and legs about. This is the
very first weight loss, so I am not worried yet.
He has dropped from the 91st centile to the 75th, but is still a good size.

Hmmm, I didn't think it was normal for babies to lose weight after
those first few days. If it were me, I might try to get some more
nursings in. But maybe you've seen this weight loss in your other
babies and it turned out to be nothing?
Old December 1st 03, 06:35 PM
Stephanie and Tim

"Andrea" wrote in message
[...]

I can see not wanting to start too early. But what is the benefit of
"holding off as long as possible?" Yeah, berastmilk is the perfect food to
the forseeable future. But solids are often fun for the child. I mean,
definitely no need to push, especially since it sounds like Kami is not
interested. But why hold off? Thanks.

I pointed out that solids made Kami have a bad eczema episode, and that he
will be prone to food allergies, but then I got..

Oh. Ha. Should of read before I typed. Well anyway, I will post anyway in
case their are more reasons.

Old December 3rd 03, 08:47 AM
Andrea

"Stephanie and Tim" wrote in message ...

"Andrea" wrote in message

[...]

I was one of those young moms who put their baby on solids at 3 months with
my first 2 kids. I was pushed into it by my health visitor and I belived it.
Also with the next 2 they were on solids at 4 months, all were breastfed,
but now I know that they didn't really need it. I just feel that Kami is so
happy without solids, and I have found that as soon as solids are introduced
no matter how varied the diet ends up, my babes suffer with very hard
painful stools. I want to put that off!

"Why not just offer a little babyrice, or mashed potato with water mixed

in,
or some pureed vegetables? he won't be allergic with those"
I just left and decided that there was no point arguing with her, but I

will
not be starting solids until Kam is ready.

Kami has lost 1 pound, but his activity levels are way up. He is sitting

and
rolling, and gets very exited and flaps his arms and legs about. This is

the
very first weight loss, so I am not worried yet.
He has dropped from the 91st centile to the 75th, but is still a good

size.

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David almost 6 months!

Old December 3rd 03, 05:05 PM
Stephanie and Tim

"Andrea" wrote in message

[...]

I beleive it. My problem was not the same. DS had a small window of
acceptance of new stuff... and I ALWAYS missed it. Now his menu has a very
small number of things on it, and anything new is automatically bad. My son,
at 3, still has more gooey poo than hard. Isn't it funny how everyone has
different situations and bodies? Just goes to show that there is no
one-size-fits-all.

Old December 5th 03, 07:28 PM
Joshua Levy

"Dagny" wrote in message link.net...
Good lord, where do they think babies got their iron from 1000 years ago
before we had iron-enriched cereals and food processors. I suppose it's
possible that humans masticated meat for their untoothed babies, but I doubt
it.

This simple answer is they got much less iron, were more likely to
die, were much smaller, more sickly, and less healthy than now.

If you really care, you should compare infant mortality in 1003 to
infant mortality now. Ditto with average life span.

Joshua
Old December 5th 03, 07:57 PM
Teresa Chandler

"Joshua Levy" wrote
"Dagny" wrote

Good lord, where do they think babies got their iron from 1000 years ago
before we had iron-enriched cereals and food processors. I suppose it's
possible that humans masticated meat for their untoothed babies, but I

doubt
it.

This simple answer is they got much less iron, were more likely to
die, were much smaller, more sickly, and less healthy than now.

If you really care, you should compare infant mortality in 1003 to
infant mortality now. Ditto with average life span.

And keep in mind that those two things have improved for MANY more reasons
than iron-enriched cereals, formula, anemia testing, and the like. Just the
progress we've made in sanitation alone probably accounts for lots, if not
most of that difference. Much more than iron supplementation, I'm certain.

Teresa

solids at 10 months Shannon G Breastfeeding 5 October 8th 03 03:29 AM
sudden dislike for solids ted Breastfeeding 2 September 5th 03 06:50 PM
Medical Abstracts re Intro of Solids? Belphoebe Breastfeeding 3 August 25th 03 02:13 PM
poop, solids vent.. ted Breastfeeding 3 August 14th 03 04:44 PM
solids and a 6 month old DavesFatChick Breastfeeding 4 July 28th 03 08:21 PM