insurance question

Old August 2nd 04, 07:40 PM
emilymr

Default insurance question

I was wondering if anyone has gotten temporary insurance during pregnancy?
My student health insurance runs out on Sept. 18, and my husband's new
job's coverage doesn't begin until Oct. 1. The baby's not due until
November, but the 2-week gap makes me nervous!! We don't qualify for
Medical and I can't get COBRA since it was a student plan, and so far I
haven't had any luck getting insurance from the major companies who don't
want to cover pregnant women... :P So I'm looking for a company that
will insure me for a month -- does anyone know anything about Maternity
Card (found it on-line)? I guess my other option is to sit at home for 2
weeks and hope we don't have an earthquake!!

Old August 3rd 04, 01:35 AM
Auntie Bubbles

"emilymr" emily@xxxxxx wrote in message
lkaboutparenting.com...
I was wondering if anyone has gotten temporary insurance during pregnancy?
My student health insurance runs out on Sept. 18, and my husband's new
job's coverage doesn't begin until Oct. 1. The baby's not due until
November, but the 2-week gap makes me nervous!! We don't qualify for
Medical and I can't get COBRA since it was a student plan, and so far I
haven't had any luck getting insurance from the major companies who don't
want to cover pregnant women... :P So I'm looking for a company that
will insure me for a month -- does anyone know anything about Maternity
Card (found it on-line)? I guess my other option is to sit at home for 2
weeks and hope we don't have an earthquake!!

Hi Emily,
Since you mentioned Medi-Cal I am assuming you live in California, as I do.
I worked for a small business and my husband is self-employed, so I had no
health insurance when I became pregnant, plus we also made too much money
for Medi-Cal. I found a program called AIM (Access for Infants and Mothers)
which is for middle income pregnant women who don't have access to health
insurance. I was covered for my whole pregnancy plus 2 months by Blue Cross
(not a dream of mine, but certainly better than nothing) and my son is
covered until he's two years old, and I will pay a total of $850.00 for this
coverage with no co-pay and no deductible. I'm not sure if it would apply to
you, but they may be able to point you in the right direction.
Try this link, and see what you find out.
http://www.mrmib.ca.gov/MRMIB/AIM.html
Good luck to you,
Alexis
Mom to Michael Mose
04/25/04

Old August 3rd 04, 04:58 AM
emilymr

thanks so much, alexis! yes, we're in CA. i'll look into this -- the only
thing i'm hesitant about is that i don't want to pay for a full year of
coverage when i'll be covered under DH's insurance plan come october, but
i might just be out of luck there!!

Old August 3rd 04, 06:49 AM
Auntie Bubbles

"emilymr" emily@xxxxxx wrote in message
lkaboutparenting.com...
thanks so much, alexis! yes, we're in CA. i'll look into this -- the

only
thing i'm hesitant about is that i don't want to pay for a full year of
coverage when i'll be covered under DH's insurance plan come october, but
i might just be out of luck there!!

They still may be able to help you with a temporary plan. They probably
wouldn't cover you for the year anyway, given that you will have access to
insurance. This plan is for women who don't have access. You may still
qualify temporarily. I sure hope so. I know how it feels to worry about
not having insurance. I'm in that boat now, since my plan ran out last
month. At least my baby is covered, though!
Cheers,
Alexis

Old August 3rd 04, 06:57 PM
Beach mum

"emilymr" emily@xxxxxx wrote
I was wondering if anyone has gotten temporary insurance during pregnancy?
My student health insurance runs out on Sept. 18, and my husband's new
job's coverage doesn't begin until Oct. 1. The baby's not due until
November, but the 2-week gap makes me nervous!! We don't qualify for
Medical and I can't get COBRA since it was a student plan, and so far I
haven't had any luck getting insurance from the major companies who don't
want to cover pregnant women... :P So I'm looking for a company that
will insure me for a month -- does anyone know anything about Maternity
Card (found it on-line)? I guess my other option is to sit at home for 2
weeks and hope we don't have an earthquake!!

I don't have any advice but I did want to give you sympathy. I was in a
similar boat in that I was due with E in early May and my COBRA ran out
April 30. There wasn't anything we could do so we asked the hospital how
much it would cost us without insurance for a natural birth and put aside
nearly that amount. We also prayed that I'd be early. Fortunately, E was
born three weeks early so we were well within the limit. As well, she was
covered under DH's private insurance and I got private insurance about eight
weeks later (after post-partum visit). What kept me sane was the surity
(completely unfounded) that everything would work out and the worst case
scenario was that we'd owe the hospital money.

Good luck with finding something to cover you!
--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03