"Alcohol and pregnancy" clarification needed...

Old February 13th 05, 06:06 PM
Alice

Default "Alcohol and pregnancy" clarification needed...

This post is in fact a continuation of a previous message I posted
recently, but I thought it might be necessary to be examined on its
own merit due to some conflicting information I found, so it may
require some quite scientifically oriented views
So:
I found out I was pregnant relatively early, on the 22nd day after
conception. As I was doing my research on the Intenet, I found out
that

1. " The critical period of embryonic development, when the major
organ systems develop, starts at about 17 days post-conception and is
complete by 60 to 70 days. Exposure to certain drugs during this
period (17 to 70 days) can cause major birth defects"
(http://www.drugrehab.co.uk/drug-use-pregnancy.htm)

2. In the embryonic stage: the third postconception week of human
pregnancy is considered the critical period for teratogenic actions of
alcohol to produce the most severe and characteristic features of FAS.
Drinking an average of 3 drinks/daily during the period following
conception and just before pregnancy is confirmed, increases the risk
of having a FAS child. Occasional drinking during this period did not
increase risk." (www.digitalism.org/hst/fetal.html )

3. The period of greatest sensitivity to teratogens occurs between
17-56 days after conception during the period of cell organization,
differentiation and organogenesis.(Ministry of Health Ontario, 1992).

What really worries me is that I had three drinking episodes. I had 4
glasses of wine on the 14th day of pregnancy, 4 glasses on the 17th,
and another three glasses on the 18th, i.e. all within this ‘critical
period". In all three instances Iconsumed those drinks while dinning.
No more Alcohol after I found out.

Is it possible that I might have gotten away with my first drinking
episode at least , since it was in the 14th day, since according to
(1) the 14th day belongs to week 2?

Also, is it possible my baby will be affected by FAS or FAE?

Thanks in advance for your cooperation
Old February 13th 05, 06:14 PM
Serenity

It is very very very unlikely that there are any problems at all.

Many many many mothers drink before they know they are pregnant and suffer
no ill effects.

Your average drinking falls well below 3 glasses per day.

Serenity

Old February 13th 05, 06:56 PM

I got pregnant around 11/26/04, and I didn't find out until 12/28/04.
What's in between? The holidays, and the heaviest drinking season of
the year for most people. Furthermore, I was more than likely drunk
when we conceived (we had been at our 10 year high school reunion, and
it was the best coping mechanism in the world!!).

My doctor told me not to worry. You shouldn't either. Rather than
focusing all of your energy on something that you can no longer
control, you should focus on things you can control from now on - don't
take any OTC meds that aren't approved (and use the approved ones in
strict moderation), don't drink anymore, don't use drugs, don't smoke,
eat well, get lots of rest, take your prenatals...

I think God (or nature, if you prefer) protects us from harming our
babies before we know about them. Sure, there are babies born with
FAS, but their mothers usually drink much more heavily than you or I
did. I think I read that 3 drinks a day every day raises your chance
of FAS by 30%. (I would call a person who has 3 drinks per day, every
day an alcoholic, personally. YMMV). So, even someone who was
drinking enough to get me drunk (I'm a cheap date) every day still has
a 70% chance of having a non-FAS baby. And I only drank on 6 or 8
occasions over a 30 day period - the average is *far* less than one
drink a day... Yours is, too.

Try to let it go. If your baby has problems, you'll deal with it. You
can't enjoy your pregnancy if you're wearing a hair shirt for all of
the things you shouldn't have done for 10 months, until the baby comes
out ok. Meanwhile, the stress you're putting on yourself is probably
doing more harm than the drinking did.

Forgive yourself.

Amy

Old February 13th 05, 07:27 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Alice wrote:

[...]

How are you counting the pregnancy? From conception or
from last menstrual period? The above are counting from conception.
If your doctor declared you "four weeks pregnant" then he or she
was counting from LMP (meaning that for two of those weeks, you
weren't really pregnant). So, if your 14th day of pregnancy
was based on counting backwards from the doctor's 4 weeks
calculation, that's about the day you actually ovulated, and
the odds that it would have any effect are vanishingly small.
When you're four weeks pregnant (e.g., 14 days post-conception),
the placenta is just beginning to develop. Before then, the baby
doesn't have any direct connection to your blood supply.

The odds that your baby will have FAS or FAE are extremely
small. Many, many women have had a lot more to drink and have gone
on to have perfectly normal babies.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old February 13th 05, 10:50 PM
Mamma Mia

"Alice" wrote in message
om...
[...]

overly worrying and stressing will could also cause the baby problems. We
all know how you feel and dont blame you for being worried, that is now your
official job in life! but try to chill hey?

chris

Old February 13th 05, 11:43 PM
Elle

I'm not sure if there is anything anyone can say to set your mind at
ease about this issue.

First of all how sure are you that you found out 22 days after
conception? Were you charting your ovulation or going by when you had
sex? That can make a difference.

Really unless you are understating your drinking habits I just don't
think you have anything to worry about on the FAS/FAE front. Here's
why:

What really worries me is that I had three drinking episodes. I had

4
glasses of wine on the 14th day of pregnancy, 4 glasses on the 17th,
and another three glasses on the 18th, i.e. all within this

'critical
period". In all three instances Iconsumed those drinks while dinning.
No more Alcohol after I found out.

This is so early in the time frames that were mentioned in your
original points, I would say they are barely on the fringe of the
critical period.

I'm no biologist but my understanding is that alcohol does of course
cross the placenta from the mother's blood stream (as do many other
things), but not until about the end of the third week (so 21 days) at
the very earliest. This is when blood vessels form within the core of
the villi -- the embryo's heart starts to beat around the same time so
each villius has embryonic blood circulating within it and maternal
blood circulating outside it. This is the beginning of the placental
function. Until then the embryo is sustained by the yolk sac.

If you are still really concerned you should talk to your doctor or an
FAS counsellor but honestly if you have really stopped with the
drinking you should just let it go. There are far more realistic things
to worry about if you need to divert yourself!

Elle

Old February 13th 05, 11:48 PM

Mamma Mia wrote:

overly worrying and stressing will could also cause the baby

problems. We
all know how you feel and dont blame you for being worried, that is

now your
official job in life! but try to chill hey?

Have I told all of you what my mom said with regard to worrying? I got
upset because I heard about a baby who died of SIDS, and I called her
all freaked out.

"Honey," she said, "you have 20 years to worry. Why don't you try to
pace yourself?"

Now, whenever I find myself getting upset about something I have no
control over, I hear my mom saying, "pace yourself," and I feel better!

Amy (whose Mom rocks)

Old February 14th 05, 01:04 AM
Mamma Mia

wrote in message
oups.com...

Mamma Mia wrote:

overly worrying and stressing will could also cause the baby

problems. We
all know how you feel and dont blame you for being worried, that is

now your
official job in life! but try to chill hey?

Have I told all of you what my mom said with regard to worrying? I got
upset because I heard about a baby who died of SIDS, and I called her
all freaked out.

"Honey," she said, "you have 20 years to worry. Why don't you try to
pace yourself?"

Now, whenever I find myself getting upset about something I have no
control over, I hear my mom saying, "pace yourself," and I feel better!

Amy (whose Mom rocks)

good to hear of a mum that rocks. So many people's mums around here
anti-rock! go amy's MOM!

Old February 14th 05, 02:21 AM

Mamma Mia wrote:
wrote in message

Amy (whose Mom rocks)

good to hear of a mum that rocks. So many people's mums around here
anti-rock! go amy's MOM!

Uh oh, now you've got me started...

My mom is the only person I know who can start with a sheep and end up
with something useful. She could shear it, clean the wool, dye it,
spin it, and knit, crochet, or weave it into a blanket, a scarf, a
sweater, or probably one of each, all in matching colors. She has
everything she needs to do this except the sheep (it's easier to buy
the wool than try to keep them in her yard in the city. She keeps mini
daschunds instead! )

We had a garden growing up, and she grew fresh fruits (apples,
raspberries, strawberries, probably others) and veggies (hordes of
tomatoes and zucchini, pumpkins, cucumber, beans, etc.) when we were
kids. She had a rose garden with over 70 different roses (all of this
in town, remember!). She managed to maintain these, raise three kids
as a single mom, and work. Woah. Every summer and fall she'd can what
was cannable, so that we had home grown food all winter.

She's the only person I know who would survive the trip west in a
Conestoga wagon, the way they did it a couple hundred years ago.

We always had homemade Halloween costumes. One year she got the three
of us and three of our friends to be a caterpillar - she made a huge
paper mache head using a 3 foot beach ball as the mold, and used fabric
sewn in a tube, held in shape with hula hoops, for the body. We
couldn't fit on most peoples' porches, but most of the neighborhood
still remembers it. Another year, I was a Hershey kiss, with a brown
body (stuffed with a sleeping bag) and foil all around me, I even had a
hat. I don't think she even used a pattern.

She is the most creative person I have ever known in my life. When she
and my step-dad were dating, it was a lot of hassle and expense to take
three kids (I think we were 13, 10, and 8) out for dinner, so we'd have
"food on the floor" nights, where we'd sit at the coffee table (it was
a sawed-off dining table, so it was huge) on the floor and eat ethnic
food. She'd decorate in the theme of the country the food was from -
so if it was Greek food it was a blue and white tablecloth and
centerpiece, and she'd wrap us in sheets (for "togas") and put wreaths
of grape vine (probably ivy) around our heads. For Mexican, she would
use this bright, multicolored fabric, put on the Spanish radio station,
and make someone wear a sombrero. We always laughed so hard and had so
much fun - it's a wonder no one choked.

I am absolutely convinced that there is nothing that my mom can't do.
She now owns a ballroom where she does weddings and events, that has a
shop connected to it where she sells everything you need for a wedding
except the dresses. They do about 100 - 150 weddings a year. She
started off as a wedding coordinator, then started the shop, then
pulled it all together with the "all in one" building. She is wildly
successful, and is absolutely the most generous and wonderful hostess
to everyone who walks through the door. I couldn't be more proud of
her.

Oh, not to mention the fact that she taught me wonderful values, loved
me unconditionally growing up and beyond, and has always been
supportive and protective of me and of my siblings, while still
allowing us to make our own mistakes and learn our own lessons. She
gave us roots and wings. She fostered loving, close relationships
between my brother and sister and I. I am so blessed. I don't know
anyone else who has a mother like mine.

Ok, I'll stop...

Amy

Old February 14th 05, 05:20 AM
Alice

I'm always reffering to post -conception , so when "the 18th" I mean
18 days after the day I had sex...