reading lists

Old June 4th 07, 02:57 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education
Beliavsky

Default reading lists

Can anyone recommend a set of reading lists arranged by difficulty
(grade level). Googling lead me to http://www.hplibrary.org/kids/bookli...evellists.html
which seems ok.

Old June 4th 07, 04:14 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education
betsy

On Jun 4, 6:57 am, Beliavsky wrote:
Can anyone recommend a set of reading lists arranged by difficulty
(grade level). Googling lead me tohttp://www.hplibrary.org/kids/booklists/gradelevel/gradelevellists.html
which seems ok.

While there are quite a few good books on these lists, many will not
stand the test of time. Many classics are absent. Your local library
should have some good books of book lists that you can check out. One
is, "Honey for a Child's Heart" by Gladys Hunt.

Whichever book lists you use, you will need to judge the books
yourself to see if they are right for your child. If you have an
advanced reader, it is more challenging to find enough books with age
appropriate topics at the correct reading level. Often older books
are written at a higher reading level for the subject matter.

--Betsy

Old June 4th 07, 06:02 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education
Ericka Kammerer

Beliavsky wrote:
Can anyone recommend a set of reading lists arranged by difficulty
(grade level). Googling lead me to http://www.hplibrary.org/kids/bookli...evellists.html
which seems ok.

Googling in "graded reading list" or "graded reading database"
will get you more lists than you know what to do with. You can also
search on "leveled books list" or "leveled books database." There
are much finer distinctions out there than grade levels.
Of course, keep in mind that the levels assess only how
challenging it is to read the books, not so much whether the material
is age appropriate or whether the book is any good. That you'll have
to assess on your own, for the most part.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old June 4th 07, 06:03 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education
toto

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 06:57:18 -0700, Beliavsky
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a set of reading lists arranged by difficulty
(grade level). Googling lead me to http://www.hplibrary.org/kids/bookli...evellists.html
which seems ok.

That library is in Chicago's north suburbs. Good list and there are
others at other libraries.

More from other libraries:
http://www.skokielibrary.info/s_kids...ists/index.asp

Math books:
http://willard.district65.net/media/...Math_Books.htm

2nd grade books:
http://willard.district65.net/media/...ade_books1.htm

Multicultural books:
http://pages.towson.edu/cholmes/similarities/child.htm

100 best books
http://www.teachersfirst.com/100books.cfm

Books for boys:
http://www.talestoldtall.com/BooksforBoys.html

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old June 4th 07, 06:15 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education
Caledonia

On Jun 4, 9:57 am, Beliavsky wrote:
Can anyone recommend a set of reading lists arranged by difficulty
(grade level). Googling lead me tohttp://www.hplibrary.org/kids/booklists/gradelevel/gradelevellists.html
which seems ok.

I second the vote for going to your library -- there are a lot of
'survey'-type books, listing books for children with plot synopses
arranged by reading level. The book I liked best was published by Horn
-- beyond that, I can't recall. [I remember consulting a few of these
as I searched for teen-books with children's themes, which *is*
tricky, as betsy mentioned.]

I've found that books which work well for reading *to* a preschooler
are pretty much the standard classics ('The Animal Family,' the E.B.
White books, 'The Water Babies,' Potter's 'The Fairy Caravan'.)

Caledonia

Old June 4th 07, 07:00 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Beliavsky wrote:
Can anyone recommend a set of reading lists arranged by difficulty
(grade level). Googling lead me to
http://www.hplibrary.org/kids/bookli...evellists.html
which seems ok.

Googling in "graded reading list" or "graded reading database"
will get you more lists than you know what to do with. You can also
search on "leveled books list" or "leveled books database." There
are much finer distinctions out there than grade levels.

I remember looking at one list. The books "Harry Potter and the
Sorcere's Stone" and "Harry Potter and the Philsopher's Stone" were
rated to be at different grade levels. Except for the name of the book
and the stone within the book, they are basically the same book.

So you have to take the grade levels with a grain of salt, too.

Of course, keep in mind that the levels assess only how
challenging it is to read the books, not so much whether the material
is age appropriate or whether the book is any good. That you'll have
to assess on your own, for the most part.

In addition, a kid who is interested in a book might be able to read a
book above his normal grade level. So kids who like Harry Potter might
be able to read the later books, even if they are at a higher grade
level than they normally read.

I think the levels are usually determined by computer programs. You can
see the reading levels of documents in Microsoft Word. It took me 12
weeks just to type in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban to
determine its grade level. ;-) (Just joking - if I really want to see
what the reading level was, you can probably find it on the net. And, if
not, you can use software to scan it - still a big job, but not three
weeks).

Jeff

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old June 4th 07, 07:09 PM posted to misc.kids
bizby40

"Jeff" wrote in message
Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Beliavsky wrote:
Can anyone recommend a set of reading lists arranged by difficulty
(grade level). Googling lead me to
http://www.hplibrary.org/kids/bookli...evellists.html
which seems ok.

Googling in "graded reading list" or "graded reading database"
will get you more lists than you know what to do with. You can
also
search on "leveled books list" or "leveled books database." There
are much finer distinctions out there than grade levels.

I remember looking at one list. The books "Harry Potter and the
Sorcere's Stone" and "Harry Potter and the Philsopher's Stone" were
rated to be at different grade levels. Except for the name of the
book and the stone within the book, they are basically the same
book.

So you have to take the grade levels with a grain of salt, too.

But assuming that these were American grade levels, "Harry Potter and
the Philsopher's Stone" might well be considered to be a slightly
higher grade level book because it has more unfamiliar words.

Zorra

Old June 4th 07, 08:00 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Beliavsky wrote:
[...]

That would be like 1 in 10,000 words changed, all from philosopher's to
socerer's or the other way around. So I don't think so. I don't remember
which book had the higher level. It was off by about 1/2 a grade or so,
too much for one word change to explain it, but not all that much.

However, there also could have been slightly different versions of the
program used. Maybe one was done in Jan. 2003 and the other in June 2004.

I wonder if the reading level could have been determined by the
publisher, which would mean that probably they used different programs,
one in Britian and one in the US.

Jeff
Old June 4th 07, 08:15 PM posted to misc.kids
Laura Faussone

Jeff wrote:
bizby40 wrote:

"Jeff" wrote in message

But assuming that these were American grade levels, "Harry Potter and
the Philsopher's Stone" might well be considered to be a slightly
higher grade level book because it has more unfamiliar words.

That would be like 1 in 10,000 words changed, all from philosopher's to
socerer's or the other way around. So I don't think so. I don't remember
which book had the higher level. It was off by about 1/2 a grade or so,
too much for one word change to explain it, but not all that much.

I was thinking that Philosopher's Stone possibly had more British
slang which would make it a bit more difficult to understand.

wait lists for preschools? L. General 24 June 25th 06 02:01 PM
Bulk Email Lists Jack Brown Child Support 0 November 29th 04 06:41 PM
The due dates lists Sarah Vaughan Pregnancy 5 October 25th 04 04:00 PM