removing tonsils

Old June 6th 07, 03:25 AM posted to misc.kids
Marie

Default removing tonsils

My 10.5 year old is probably going to have her tonsils removed. Anyone
have any advice, or words of wisdom? I can't think of any kids I know
of these days who have had them removed besides my neice, and it seems
to have helped her.
Marie
Old June 6th 07, 07:17 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"Marie" wrote in message
My 10.5 year old is probably going to have her tonsils removed. Anyone
have any advice, or words of wisdom? I can't think of any kids I know
of these days who have had them removed besides my neice, and it seems
to have helped her.
Marie

She's probably old enough for this not to be an issue, but don't say
"afterwards you'll be much better". I remember friends having it done
(although generally at about 7yo) and often the parents told them that they
would be "better" after the operation. Of course they came out of the
anaesthetic feeling very sore and painful, and I know at least one who felt
their parents had misled them badly over it, and that caused a lot of
subsequent problems.
Debbie

Old June 6th 07, 08:58 PM posted to misc.kids
Sue

DD1 had them removed and it was the best decision we made. The change in her
was like night and day.
-
Sue

Old June 7th 07, 04:27 AM posted to misc.kids
Marie

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 15:58:12 -0400, "Sue"
wrote:

DD1 had them removed and it was the best decision we made. The change in her
was like night and day.
-
Sue

This is what I'm hoping will happen. The poor kid is constantly
getting sore throats, fevers, and when colds are going around, hers
hangs on for at least a week longer than everyone else's, and it's
always much worse. In the past 5 weeks, she's had bronchitis, infected
tonsils, and sick yet again with something unnamed b/c I did not take
her to the doc. We tried to deal with things ourselves but she is just
sick way too much, and I don't think a child should grow up so sick
and crappy feeling all the time. She's had to miss out on alot because
of how often she is sick. She was tested for asthma but the results
haven't come back yet. There were also chest xrays and some blood
tests but all that came back ok. My brother had asthma also. I never
had problems when I was little, and my other two kids are rarely sick
either, so this "sickly child" thing is new to me. How old was your
daughter, and what led the doctor to decide to remove her tonsils?
Marie
Old June 7th 07, 04:31 AM posted to misc.kids
Marie

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 18:17:50 GMT, "Welches"
wrote:

She's probably old enough for this not to be an issue, but don't say
"afterwards you'll be much better". I remember friends having it done
(although generally at about 7yo) and often the parents told them that they
would be "better" after the operation. Of course they came out of the
anaesthetic feeling very sore and painful, and I know at least one who felt
their parents had misled them badly over it, and that caused a lot of
subsequent problems.
Debbie

She knows that it will be painful and sore after it's over, but she
knows we're hoping that once it all heals, she will be better than
before. I don't like it either when people lie and tell their kids
that it will be ok when it will actually be painful! She seems more
worried about waking up while they are working on her than how it will
feel while she is recovering!
My neice had her tonsils removed, so my daughter does know it hurts
afterwards. Apparantly my neice did not stay hydrated enough, so her
recovery was worse than it had to be. Can you see an 8 year old
solemly telling a 10 year old how important it is to keep drinking
after her surgery? Really cute!
Marie
Old June 7th 07, 12:32 PM posted to misc.kids
Sue

[...]

Aw poor little thing. It is hard for them when they are sick all the time.

A had sleep apnea due to the tonsils and adenoids being enlarged, along with
all the sicknesses that you described. It was just really hard for A because
I knew she wasn't getting good sleep at night because of her behavior during
the day. The sleep apnea is what tipped the doctor into taking them both out
and it went well; however, it took longer for A to feel better than I
expected, so don't worry if it takes a couple of weeks before she can really
feel like eating anything solid.
Good luck. )

--
Sue