Moments that break your heart.....

Old December 4th 04, 09:06 PM
lm

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 14:36:17 -0600, "Moon Shyne"
wrote:

"Laura" wrote in message
. com...
unya (Purchgdss) wrote in message

Yesterday, being the holiday that it was in the US, we did the obligatory

calls
to family and close friends.

Why obligatory?

Because it's up to us, as parent, to teach our children to honor their family
and close friends.

My dad was just diagnosed with cancer. When he suffered a series of minor
strokes 4 months ago, I called him daily, to see how he was. I never thought to
have my children call him. I thought I had done the right thing by calling.

My stepmother finally told me, the other day, that she was unhappy that I hadn't
had the children call their grandfather. I saw her point, and I now have the
children call each of their grandparents every 2-3 days, just to say "Hi" and "I
love you".

My dad was delighted to hear from the kids today. My mother and stepfather were
even more thrilled to have a phone call that wasn't a "Thank you" for a gift.

This is the right thing to be doing.

Teach your children to honor their grandparents. Some day, you'll be the
grandparent.

:-)

You snipped all my good stuff. "Why obligatory?" was about kids having
to call people who have rejected them on specific holidays, rather
than when they have something they want to say. You illustrated my
point in your response, which I can't help reading as a lesson for me
("teach your children to honor their grandparents.") that I don't need
taught.

lm

Old December 4th 04, 11:09 PM
Moon Shyne

wrote:

"Laura" wrote in message
[...]

It was a lesson that I needed to learn.

It's a lesson that many need to learn.

If you don't think you need to learn it, or have already learned it, by all
means, ignore it.

lm