Solids; 4 months vs 6?

Old August 9th 03, 04:15 AM
Laurie

Default Solids; 4 months vs 6?

(this was also posted to mkb)

Just to preface this, I have absolutely NO desire to start Christopher on
solids at anytime in the near future. He certainly isn't showing any signs
of readiness, and the thought of him even being close to old enough bums me
out!~ He'll be 4 months old next week!

That said, things are truly awful here at home while I'm at work. He just
won't take a bottle anymore. I've
given up my new supervisor job to go back to my old floor, where I can be
more flexible and work some 4 hour shifts instead of 8 hours shifts. Not
working is unfortunately not an option, but luckily I'm only gone a few
nights a week. Though with 4 hour shifts, it'll end up being 4 nights for
now. At this point, he freaks out whenever he even sees a fake nipple
heading in his direction. He SCREAMS, sometimes cries for 2 hours, and this
is a normally very mellow baby. It's breaking my heart and is terribly
stressful for everyone who's home, most especially for Christopher. I've
asked my hubby about trying a cup or syringe but he says that won't even
work, because by the time he picks Christopher up at 5 pm, he's gotten to
the point where he's already hungry and starts screaming pretty quickly
thereafter, and he'd choke. We're going to try the avent spout this weekend
and see if that helps.

What I'm wondering is exactly why the recommendation has been changed from 4
to 6 months. I know all the reasons for waiting, and the signs of
readiness. As I said, I know that he's not ready now and will NOT push it.
However, 2 more months of this is going to be hell on my family if things
don't get better. I'm wondering if maybe 5 months is a feasible time frame
if he seems to be ready. Has it been found that allergies are more likely
before 6 months, vs say maybe 5? Is it that baby's gut is more ready at 6
months than at 4 or 5? How likely is it that baby will have problems if
food is started a little earlier than 6 months, but well after the former
recommendation of 4 months? Christopher's 4 month appt is next week and
I'll talk to his MD about it then, but was wondering if you all have any
thoughts.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 28 months
and Christopher, 16 weeks

*This email address is now valid*

Old August 9th 03, 04:22 PM
Nikki

Laurie wrote:

That said, things are truly awful here at home while I'm at work. .......

At this point, he freaks out whenever he even sees a fake nipple heading in
his direction. He SCREAMS,
sometimes cries for 2 hours, and this is a normally very mellow baby.

BTDT. I'm sorry this is so hard. I did no pressure introduction of solids
at 4 months for this very reason with Hunter. He'd have nothing to do with
it so it didn't work anyway ;-) My sitter tried a syringe and cup without
much success. She did have luck (about 2 ounces usually) with the platex
bottles and sippy cup nipples. Hunter chewed on the sippy cup nipple and
she squeezed the bag from the outside.

A hungry baby is miserable. If I were you I'd introduce the mildest solids
possible at 4 months to see if he'd take them and get a little in his
stomach. Some babies are stubborn enough not to a take a bottle, period.
In looking back I wish I would have tried formula of all things. He could
drink water out of a cup fine at 6 months but would still refuse to drink
EBM from one. I introduced cows milk at 11 months and he drank that (not
much but he did drink it). He might have taken a bottle if it had something
other then EBM in it. Perhaps he just felt like the EBM came from mom and
nowhere else?

Wishing you luck. It did get better for him at around 6 months even though
he still wasn't eating solids. I'll warn you....he reverce cycled ;-).

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old August 9th 03, 04:34 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Laurie wrote:

What I'm wondering is exactly why the recommendation has been changed from 4
to 6 months. I know all the reasons for waiting, and the signs of
readiness. As I said, I know that he's not ready now and will NOT push it.
However, 2 more months of this is going to be hell on my family if things
don't get better. I'm wondering if maybe 5 months is a feasible time frame
if he seems to be ready. Has it been found that allergies are more likely
before 6 months, vs say maybe 5? Is it that baby's gut is more ready at 6
months than at 4 or 5? How likely is it that baby will have problems if
food is started a little earlier than 6 months, but well after the former
recommendation of 4 months? Christopher's 4 month appt is next week and
I'll talk to his MD about it then, but was wondering if you all have any
thoughts.

I'm probably a little more easy-going on the time to
start solids and would rely more on the child. They used to
wonder if breastmilk was adequate for nutrition, which I
think led them to take the earlier time over the later
time. Plus, there's been an evolution where time for
starting solids has moved later and later. While waiting
longer does seem to reduce the incidence of allergies
somewhat, an awful lot of the studies compare four months
with earlier rather than six month with earlier.
So all in all, I'd prefer to wait until six months,
but I wouldn't stress out particularly between 4 and 6 months
*IF* the baby was ready, willing, and able to eat solids.
Both my boys started a bit after four months. They were
just desperate to have some food--not so much because they
were starving or anything. I think they just wanted it.
They were trying to grab food off our plates or intercept
it on the way to our mouths, etc. When we tried them with
a bit of cereal or banana, neither had any tongue thrust
reflex and neither had any tongue thrust reflex or tried
to spit it out. In fact, both gobbled up whatever we'd
give them greedily--no getting half of it all over their
faces or having to coax them to eat. I think they were
ready and they sure wanted it. Did it increase their
risk of allergies? Perhaps. There are certainly allergies
in the family. Neither has any food allergies. Adrian
has some very mild asthma and both have mild seasonal
allergies.
With Genevieve, I'll once again try to wait until
six months. If she's not in danger of impaling herself
on my fork, we'll wait. But if she's as eager and ready
for solids after four months, I'll do it again and not
fret too much.
In your case, if Christopher has all the
readiness signs and takes to solids well, I wouldn't
worry too much if he starts a bit earlier than six
months. It sounds like it would certainly help if
he's refusing bottles.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old August 9th 03, 05:21 PM
Sue

Hi Laurie,

As you know I have three kids. They are 10, 8 and 6. Less that six years ago
the recommendation was to start solids at four months. I was religous about
that becuase I knew that babies stomachs are immature and that their gut
wouldn't be able to handle it. Now its six months. Why the change? I know
technology increases at the rate of speed and they know more now than they
used to know and blah, blah. So, try a little nonallergenic cereal at the
latter end of four months and see how it goes. If he is not interested, then
you know you will have to wait a little longer and see. The biggest reason I
have found that they are waiting, is allergies. Do you have allergies in
your household or family members? If you stay away from allergenic food, I
suspect that Christopher will still be fine. However, is Christopher
possibly holding out on the bottle because he knows if he screams hard
enough you will eventually show up? Good luck Laurie on what you decide.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

t...

Old August 10th 03, 05:20 AM
Chookie

In article ,
wrote:

in oz its still 4-6 months. depending upon readiness.

Nope, not as of June. It's 6mo in the new nutrition guidelines. Details at
www.nhmrc.gov.au (they will even send you a nutrition book free).

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990
Old August 10th 03, 08:28 PM
Laurie

Naomi Pardue wrote in message
What I'm wondering is exactly why the recommendation has been changed from

4
to 6 months.

I think the recommondation actually says something like "babies don't need
solids until they are six months old." Which is not the same as saying that

baby who is showing signs of readiness will be harmed by being given them
before that time.

And certainly plenty of babies ARE ready for solids before 6 months, and do
fine on them.
I think you have to look at your own situation. If Christopher will take

some
solids, and it enables him to get through your work hours without becoming
miserably hungry (and maybe he'd even be willing to take some EBM from a

cup
once he's been reminded that food can come from sources other than mom)

this
strikes me as an entirely sensible solution.
(Shaina would never take a bottle from anyone but me, but DH was able to

feed
her solids without trouble. We started her at 5 months, per the 4-6 month
recommondation current at the time.)

Just avoid the allergenic solids and I think things should be fine.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

Thanks Naomi; I've read all the responses and will apply to more when I get
a chance, but you have all been very helpful!

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 28 months
and Christopher, 16 weeks

*This email address is now valid*

reply.)

Old August 10th 03, 09:27 PM
Clisby Williams

Laurie wrote:

[...]

The American Academy of Pediatrics says it's ok to start solids between
4 and 6 months.
It also says babies don't need solid food until they're 6 months old,
but that's a long way
from saying you shouldn't start solids earlier if the baby's ready.

Whether your son is ready to start solids at 4 months is another
question. I offered solids
to my now-7-year-old when she was 4 months old. She wouldn't have
anything to do with them.
I offered solid food to my son at a little past 5 months, and he loved
it. There are physical
signs of readiness, like the baby no longer has a tongue thrust reflex
that makes him spit out
the food. However, some babies just don't like solids so early - I
think that was the case
with my daughter. She was bigger and more physically advanced than my
son at
months, but he was the one who wanted my food.

Clisby

Clisby

Old August 11th 03, 01:19 PM
Laurie

Nikki wrote in message 3f33c292$1_2@newsfeed...
A hungry baby is miserable. If I were you I'd introduce the mildest

solids
possible at 4 months to see if he'd take them and get a little in his
stomach. Some babies are stubborn enough not to a take a bottle, period.
In looking back I wish I would have tried formula of all things. He could
drink water out of a cup fine at 6 months but would still refuse to drink
EBM from one. I introduced cows milk at 11 months and he drank that (not
much but he did drink it). He might have taken a bottle if it had

something
other then EBM in it. Perhaps he just felt like the EBM came from mom and
nowhere else?

Wishing you luck. It did get better for him at around 6 months even though
he still wasn't eating solids. I'll warn you....he reverce cycled ;-).

Thanks for the warning! I'm going to play it by ear and see what happens,
but at least I have a potential back up plan in my pocket. THanks Nikki!

Old August 11th 03, 01:21 PM
Laurie

Ericka Kammerer wrote in message ...
In your case, if Christopher has all the
readiness signs and takes to solids well, I wouldn't
worry too much if he starts a bit earlier than six
months. It sounds like it would certainly help if
he's refusing bottles.

Best wishes,
Ericka

THanks Ericka. He's really not showing readiness signs now, but I'll see
what happens over the next several weeks to a month.

Old August 12th 03, 07:02 PM
Stephanie

"Laurie" wrote in message et...
[...]

The recent edition I have of Dr. Spock says 4 months is fine. He has a
really practical, less medical, approach to the whole thing. He
considers the 4 month old time frame to be about play and getting
comfortable from what I understand.

I know all the reasons for waiting, and the signs of
readiness. As I said, I know that he's not ready now and will NOT push it.
However, 2 more months of this is going to be hell on my family if things
don't get better. I'm wondering if maybe 5 months is a feasible time frame
if he seems to be ready.

IMO, 4 months vs 5 months is a total wash. Now allow me to hedge that
by saying that I have NO research on allergies to back me up.
Allergies do not run in my family, despite being started on cereal at
2 weeks old myself. I would add family allergies to your thoughts when
examining this.